IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones / Euro Car Parks / CCJ / Wrong Address

theblackfox
theblackfox Posts: 63 Forumite
edited 18 October 2017 at 5:27PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hey all!

I've spent the past week living in these forums reading post after post and it has provided me with some fantastic information with my query which I will explain shortly, I just require a little bit of guidance to make sure I am heading in the right direction.

===============
SITUATION

After a recent trip to the mortgage advisers last weekend I have recently discovered there is an open CCJ claim against me for a parking fine from Europarkingservices/Gladstones Solicitors registered in February of this year. This is the first I have heard about it as I received no letters or paperwork regarding this because they have been sending everything to an old address which I moved out of at the end of 2014 which can be proven by banking statements, credit check and electoral roll.

I did not bother to pay or contact them about the parking ticket as I feel it was unjustified and have photo evidence to prove this waiting for them to contact me, but as they were contacting the wrong address I had no chance to appeal or defend it. I assumed they were not pursuing it due to not hearing from them.

I cannot confirm or deny if the registered keeper details were correct as the car has been sold.

===================

N224 / WITNESS STATEMENT / DEFENCE

I followed the Saggi case and have based my N244 and Witness statement almost identical to that but have the following query's :

1. I'm not sure when/where I should add the photo evidence I have in regards to the perfectly parked car with a valid ticket or if I should even mention this at all?

2. In Saggi's case it is not Gladstones or Euro Car Parks, does that make any part of the witness statement invalid?

3. In notes of the N244 document, it says "Please indicate in a covering letter any dates that you are unavailable within the next six weeks. I have dates I can't do, how/where do I write this and what's a covering letter?

============

Any other help and advice would be much appreciated.

I can send or post any further information if requested.

Cheers

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A covering letter is a letter you send with the form when returning it.

A letter that says something like:
    Dear Sirs,
    Enclosed is a completed xxx form.
    Please can you note that I will not be available to attend court on the following dates:
        Your faithfully,
    • So I've had my hearing date back which is 3 months away, was hoping to be a little sooner but nevermind.

What should I do next?

I know I need to prepare a Defence statement, do I wait to receive paper from Gladstones, in the same breath what if they don't send me anything?

Any advice to get a headstart and keep on top of it with it being 3 months away would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!
    • Umkomaas
      Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
      First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
      I know I need to prepare a Defence statement
      If you’ve got a hearing date, it’s too late for a ‘Defence statement’. Do you mean a Witness Statement?

The NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 takes you through the entire court process from LBC to the court hearing.
      Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
    • theblackfox
      edited 18 November 2017 at 12:56AM
      Umkomaas wrote: »
      If you’ve got a hearing date, it’s too late for a ‘Defence statement’. Do you mean a Witness Statement?

The NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 takes you through the entire court process from LBC to the hearing.

I have already written and sent my Witness Statement which resulted in me getting the hearing date.

From what I have read I thought I had to have a well prepared Defence together for when I appear at my hearing to have a good chance of a set aside?

Is that not correct?
    • [Deleted User]
      [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
      edited 18 November 2017 at 10:03AM
      Suggest you post the contents of the WS served with your application so we can see it. Ideally I would've served a WS appending a defence.

This is your hearing. You need to take the court through why it is the default judgment needs to be set aside. It should contain all the relevant documents and be tabbed and paginated. There's lots on this forum about that.

You should prepare a bundle containing everything - the application notice, statement, particulars, draft defence, photos, a site plan etc etc.

The bundle needs to be sent to the defendant and the court no fewer than 7 days prior to the hearing. You also need a statement of costs, the latter to be served not less than 24 hrs before the hearing.
    • Apologies, In my previous posts I was referring to the Draft Defence for my hearing.

Below is a copy of my Witness Statement that I sent to the court last month with an extra copy for Gladstones along with a Draft Order.

Details of situation are in original post, but let me know if you need any other info.

===================

In the County Court Business Centre
      Claim Number XXXXXX

BETWEEN:
      Euro Parking Services Limited (Claimant)
      v
      XXX XXXX (Defendant)

WITNESS STATEMENT

I am XXXX and I am the Defendant in this matter.
      This my supporting Statement in support of my application dated 19/10/17 to:
      · Set aside the Default Judgement dated 14/02/17 as it was not properly served at my current address;
      · Order for the Claimant to pay the Defendant £255 as reimbursement for the set aside fee;
      · Order for the original claim to be dismissed.

1. Default Judgement
      1.1. I understand that the Claimant obtained a Default Judgement against me as the Defendant on 14/02/17. However, this claim form has not been served at my current address and I thus was not aware of the Default Judgement until 07/10/17 when I was attending a meeting with a mortgage advisor with my fianc!. I understand that this Claim was served at an OLD ADDRESS (XXX XXXX ). However, I moved to a new address on 09/11/14. In support of this I can provide confirmation of updated banking information and I was registered on the electoral roll.

1.2. I have also never received any previous documentation from the Claimant in this matter and I thus was never able to properly challenge the Claimant’s claim.

1.3. On the 09/10/17 I contacted County Court Business Centre to find out details of the Default Judgement. The court papers contain no details of the alleged incident and I do not know what the Default Judgement relates to.

1.4. On 10/10/17 I attempted to contact the Claimant using information given to me by County Court Business Centre. I phoned Gladstones Solicitors who were unable to provide any information and asked me to email them which I am still waiting for a reply.

1.5 On 18/10/17 I contacted the County Court Business Centre again to ask for a copy of the judgement to be emailed to me after not being contacted by Gladstones Solicitors for 8 days. This means as the Defendant, I still do not have any details of the incident the Claimant alleges has taken place, other than the summary of charges now owed, which is shown on the Court papers.

1.6. I believe the Claimant has behaved unreasonably in pursuing a claim against me without ensuring they held the Defendant’s current and correct contact details. According to publicly available information my circumstances are far from being unique. The Claimant’s persistent failure to use correct and current addresses results is an unnecessary burden for individuals and the justice system across the country.

1.7. On the basis provided above I would suggest that the Claimant did not fulfil their duty to use the Defendant’s current address when bringing the claim.

1.8. Considering the above I was unable to defend this claim properly. I thus believe that the Default Judgement against me was issued incorrectly and thus should be set aside.

2. Order dismissing the Claim

2.1. I further believe that the original Claim by the Claimant has no merit and should thus be dismissed. I understand that the Claimant is a Parking Company which seeks to claim for “Parking Charge Notices” which the Claimant believes are due as a result of an alleged breach of contract for parking by a motorist.

2.2. If the Claimant has obtained details of the vehicle for which the Defendant is the Registered Keeper, and used those details to make a claim for a “Parking Charge Notice’’, I thus dispute the claim in its entirety as I do not know the wording of the contract nor do I know the means by which the contract was alleged to come into force.

2.3. If the Claimant can evidence that the alleged incident relates to a vehicle for which the Defendant is the Registered Keeper, any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant would have needed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Otherwise, the Claimant is required to prove the driver of the vehicle they claim was involved in the alleged incident. I submit that the Claimant cannot provide such evidence and further submit that the Claimant does not include ‘Protection of Freedoms Act 2012’ wording on the Parking Charge Notices they issue and therefore cannot hold the Defendant automatically liable for the alleged incident merely for being the Registered Keeper of a vehicle.

2.4. A requirement of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 is that this any Notice to Keeper served by the Claimant must be served within 14 days of the date of the alleged incident. Since I have not received any documentation from the Claimant prior to finding out about the Default Judgement, I submit the Claimant will not have complied with the requirements of the Act and thus cannot claim this charge against me as the Registered Keeper in any case.

2.5. I further submit that the Claimant’s claim is without merit due to substantial issues in law. This is for the following main reasons:
      2.5.1. Lack of Standing by Claimant: The Claimant is unlikely to be the landowner of the car park in question, and will have no proprietary interest in it. This means that the Claimant, as a matter of law, will have no locus standi to litigate in their own name. Any consideration will have been provided by the landholder, and only they would have been able sue for any damages or trespass.
      2.5.2. No Loss Suffered by Claimant: Their claim is presumably based on damages for alleged breach of contract. It is a fundamental principle of English Law that a party who suffers damages through breach of contract can only seek through court action to be put back in the same position as they would have been if the breach had not occurred. In order to do so, they must demonstrate their actual, or genuine, pre-estimate of loss. I submit that no loss has been suffered by the Claimant as a result of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of any motorist of the vehicle of which I am the Registered Keeper. I further submit that any loss to the landholder (which would be the only party able to claim such losses) would be at most a few pounds.
      2.5.3. Claimed charge is an Unenforceable Penalty: I further submit that the Parking Charge that the Claimant claimed, given it is not based on any loss suffered due to the alleged breach, is nothing but an unenforceable penalty.
      2.5.4. No contract with the claimant: Any contract must have offer, acceptance and consideration both ways. There would not have been consideration from the Claimant to the motorist; the fee for parking benefits the landowners, not the Claimant. Therefore, there is no consideration from the motorist to Claimant.

2.6. On this basis I believe that the Claimant has not provided any reasonable cause of action and thus the claim should be dismissed in its entirety.
      2.7. In order to make informed decisions and statements in my defence as keeper of the vehicle, I will require copies of all paperwork and pictures of all signs from the Claimant.

Statement of Truth:
      I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.
      Full name: XXX XXXXX

Dated 19/10/17

Signed: __________________________________
    • Coupon-mad
      Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
      Looks good, what else do you need to know before your set aside hearing?
      PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
      CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
      Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • theblackfox
      edited 19 November 2017 at 6:56PM
      Hey Coupon-mad,

Firstly, am I correct in spending my time before the hearing putting together a draft defense to take with me (or submit to them whichever is right).

Secondly, how do I write a draft defense when/if I never received any paperwork from Gladstones, or will that come in the post? (Probably the day before the hearing right?)

Thirdly, any recommendations on how to approach my draft defense based on my first post information and when do I start talking about the photo evidence I have of the correctly parked car.

Thanks in advance!
    • Hey CouponMad,

Any update on this one? Just looking to use some time over Christmas to get things done if needed.

Cheers
    • nosferatu1001
      nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
      First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
      You need three elements to your set aside
      1) draft order you want them to make at court, i.e. set aside judgment of x date, repay set aside fee of £255 by 14 days of hearing, etc
      2) a reason for the set aside to be granted, for example failure of service as they did not use a good address
      3) a draft defenCe (NOT defense, UK English please!) covering everything starting with the fact the keeper has no liability in this matter (as Gladstones clients dont comply with POFA)
      You dont need to see their documents to write a defence, because as POst 2 of the newbies thread tells you , essentially every defence to a PCN is based in contract law and is easy to deal with.
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173K Life & Family
    • 247.8K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure