Best app for home budgeting?

For the past 4 or so years I have been a YNAB evangelist and used it to track my spending and set budgets. However, I've stopped budgeting the last six months (and know that we are wasting money as a result!!) and so had cancelled my account. I either need to start again with YNAB (and pay the huge up front fee!) or start afresh with something else. YNAB fulfilled all my needs EXCEPT I wish that it linked directly to my current account (HSBC) as I found importing and tallying transactions a huge pain (and struggled to make everything add up!)

Can anyone recommend anything to try that fulfils the below criteria?

> Not too expensive - £3/month or less?
> Integrates with HSBC bank account
> Can have two users on the same budget
> Desktop (or browser access) and Android app
> Ability to set my own categories
> Ability to track cash as well as electronic money

Thanks in advance :j

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Budget is the plan in advance.

What you mean is you stopped tracking what you are spending.

Start a spending diary or a countdown diary.

If you are organised matching transactions on accounts to category of spends is probably no more than 1-2hrs a month, that includes reviewing the budget. For the next 12 months
  • Yes, I stopped tracking... and also stopped budgeting!
    I liked how with YNAB you could move money around and see at a glance what was available in a category (often simplified decisions on whether to get a takeaway or eat something out of the freezer, or whether to buy that "bargain" jacket etc etc!) and also save up for certain goals. basically I'm looking for an alternative which will let me link it to my bank account, but if there isn't one, I guess I'll go back to YNAB (and fork out the $84 for a year's use... ouch!)
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get a cheap laptop and only use it for MS Money.
    Enter all and every data you spend ! and are going too spend !

You will either see you are running OK or are spending TOOOOO much.

:) 6
  • Excel - and if having it on your phone is important, then just keep the spreadsheet on your phone instead of a pc/laptop. Or keep it on Google drive/Dropbox if you want the functionality where the household can access it & make updates.

Can be as simple or as complex as you like - as a former ynab user you pretty much already know what categories you need in a budget...

Ynab's big "thing" is zero-based budgeting, right? (give every pound a job) - unknowingly, that's what my excel budge has been doing since 2012 - the old adage of "pay yourself first", meant that I'd always allocate my cash to whatever I wanted it to do long before I actually got paid, because you just copy/paste each month down the sheet... I'm sure others will come forward with other budgeting apps, but for the freedom to be as simple as possible, or to later add complexity, or extra functionality, to make it more flexible to give others access, or restrict it, or just restrict certain parts, then and old school spreadsheet is impossible to beat imho :cool:
  • Hi. I'm new to budgeting but I'm a pretty good at excel. Would you be able to post a template of your spreadsheet (obviously without any personal details) to see what works for you? Thank you
  • No_6
    Ms Money is just a excel spread sheet. all ready
    for you to work with and gives much more.

I run multiple Cards and bank accounts would be lost
    without it
  • Microsoft Money 2004 running on an old Windows XP machine.

And before anyone says oh that's insecure, well it's not connected to the internet or even my internal home network at all.

:rotfl:
  • Hmm I want something simpler to use than Excel. To be honest YNAB was perfect, I just wish it automatically synced with my bank account. I can see I might be going back to YNAB after all ... and paying the huge upfront fee :eek:
  • No_6
    You want it ALL

for no effort :( just lazy F
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You could give Moneyhub a shot. I've been using it to track spending and basic budgeting and takes only a few minutes a day to tag spending.

- 1 month free trial
    - £0.99/month or £9.99/year
    - Links up seamlessly (read-only access) with all major bank accounts, credit cards, mortgages, some investment accounts (Ratesetter, etc) and even pension accounts.
    - Two users on the same budget? Not sure that's supported. But you can add more than 1 users financial accounts on to it (mine has my partner's as well)
    - both browser and app access
    - can create your own tags

Do give it a test drive!
    jeanzbeanz wrote: »
    For the past 4 or so years I have been a YNAB evangelist and used it to track my spending and set budgets. However, I've stopped budgeting the last six months (and know that we are wasting money as a result!!) and so had cancelled my account. I either need to start again with YNAB (and pay the huge up front fee!) or start afresh with something else. YNAB fulfilled all my needs EXCEPT I wish that it linked directly to my current account (HSBC) as I found importing and tallying transactions a huge pain (and struggled to make everything add up!)

Can anyone recommend anything to try that fulfils the below criteria?

> Not too expensive - £3/month or less?
    > Integrates with HSBC bank account
    > Can have two users on the same budget
    > Desktop (or browser access) and Android app
    > Ability to set my own categories
    > Ability to track cash as well as electronic money

Thanks in advance :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing