Travelling On

Comments

• Hey CBC, I just wondered when your MOT expires - I believe you can get it done up to a month early and they will give you the year forward from the expiry date (so up to 13 months), a bit like passport renewal (six months). If that works you could pre-empt the change for a year's peace of mind

Thanks for the suggestion, Suffolk lass. Very kind of you to offer help:T:beer:

My MOT doesn't expire until mid July so I imagine I just miss out there:(. Also, I thought the new MOT started last Sunday (yesterday) not next but I could be wrong. Very often am:o
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Evening, and what a lovely evening it is! (Here at least, I hope you have similar blue skies)

KC, can I ask about your little bonfires? I love a little fire :) But I've never actually had one! (Well, not outside of events, and other people's houses). I have a vague memory of you having some kind of incinerator, is that right?

I ask because I've got various things I could be burning, but don't want to just randomly start a fire somewhere :eek: Wondering about digging a fire pit :D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's right, Cheery, I have an incinerator - about the smallest you can buy https://www.diy.com/departments/steel-15l-incinerator-h-450mm-w-330mm/1901875_BQ.prd

Although I had a lot of backlog, I knew that once I'd done the backlog, I wouldn't have huge amounts. And at first, it was also the case that feeding it enough to fill it up a third of the way or so with ash, I was completely shattered. Now, it's fine, though for you, the 80 litre b and q one would probably be better.

I couldn't bear the idea of starting a fire right on the ground - I was sure I'd be killing a lot of insects if I did that, up to and including worms, and I couldn't bear to kill worms.

A fire pit sounds wonderful, but when I google the image, to be honest with you it doesn't look enough for what you'll need with the amount of land you now have. To have one as an accessory, of course, thats fine.

When my sister had her house in France, she burnt stuff very occasionally, and her "fire pit" literally was a big hole in the ground, six feet across. And she only had two acres!

You'll need somewhere to let the ashes "brew" after letting them cool, I don't think you're supposed to put them straight on the land. And if you have any cherry laurel, be a little bit careful about breathing in the smoke. It'll be good enough in the open air, but *you'd* be the ones in danger, the leaves, twigs and small branches contain appreciable amounts of cyanide, I kid you not.

HTH!

And it really is a lovely evening here, though not clear skies, it keeps looking like its going to thunder, but then it chickens out :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    CBC - you're quite right about new MOT coming into force last weekend. However, just because it's older, doesn't mean your car won't be fine. My is 20 years old and would've passed fine (I got it done in March though) and DH's classic mini would've passed, even with it's current oil leak, I believe (it was due on 17th, so snuck in before the change). Obviously if it does start costing a lot to fix, that's another issue, but the changes to the test are more to do with making things standard across the board, from what I understand about them.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 22 May 2018 at 1:25PM
    themadvix wrote: »
    CBC - you're quite right about new MOT coming into force last weekend. However, just because it's older, doesn't mean your car won't be fine. My is 20 years old and would've passed fine (I got it done in March though) and DH's classic mini would've passed, even with it's current oil leak, I believe (it was due on 17th, so snuck in before the change). Obviously if it does start costing a lot to fix, that's another issue, but the changes to the test are more to do with making things standard across the board, from what I understand about them.

Thank you. Congrats on your test results too:beer:. The best car I ever had (well, I had 3 different minis over the years) was a classic mini. I'd love to own one again now, I'm very envious of your DH. When I'm debt free and am next in the market for a 'new to me' car I might look round to try and find one. I know buying one nowadays in restored condition will cost a lot though:eek:. OH, the voice of doom, tells me I must be mad to even consider it and I'd be asking for trouble. It's my money, I've always chosen and paid for my own cars, so I'll jolly well do what I like. Watch this space;)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh thats sounding very interesting, CBC! I fantasize about having a car nowadays, but between the practical gap, the knowledge gap, the need for regular maintenance and attention while travelling, I think I'm best off without one, currently. Things may always change, of course :)

Nothing mse going on here today, I'm off out in a while, just for the afternoon. Hope everyone has a good day :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Karmacat wrote: »
    A fire pit sounds wonderful, but when I google the image, to be honest with you it doesn't look enough for what you'll need with the amount of land you now have. To have one as an accessory, of course, thats fine.

When my sister had her house in France, she burnt stuff very occasionally, and her "fire pit" literally was a big hole in the ground, six feet across. And she only had two acres!

Ever so helpful KC, thank you!

I was thinking of this type of fire pit

Dry stone fire pit

One of the less elaborate ones of course :rotfl: Something we could sit round of an evening :j But it's not exactly a priority job so it might never happen :p

Hope you have sunshine like we have today :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Enjoy your afternoon.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    Oh thats sounding very interesting, CBC! I fantasize about having a car nowadays, but between the practical gap, the knowledge gap, the need for regular maintenance and attention while travelling, I think I'm best off without one, currently. Things may always change, of course :)

I think if I lived somewhere with public transport I wouldn't bother to own a car at all nowadays. As it is with no bus service nearer than 3 miles away and that's only a sporadic one a car is a lifesaver to me. OH has a car but he's often out when I need to get to somewhere else so sharing the one car is not what I'd consider unless really pushed. We do travel together if heading for the same place or the same direction where one of us can drop the other off en route and pick up again on the way back but I'd hate that if it was my only permanent option.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks CBC. Classic minis have certainly gone up in price. DH's was £100 when he bought it, but that was *ahem* 17 years ago (he was 16). And he's spent **a lot** on it since (so much, in fact, that we don't know how much because it became too depressing to add it up when it got restored!! :o:eek: in equal parts!

We live in a town and there's a bus stop just across the road, but I don't think, even though I don't need a car for work, that I could give my car up - it's my independence :o

Those fire pits look lovely Cheery! :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback