Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I think the universe was protecting you :) It does that sometimes. The job you are meant to get is waiting
    DIA xx

Thanks DIA :A I think you may be right :)

I do feel it's working out as the last time I didn't get that job was what prompted me to go back to studying what I do love. I also wouldn't have got the job I have now, which pays as much as the first couple of years of the contract... so am feeling I'm ahead overall here :rotfl:

Speaking of studying, I am about to make myself some cheese on gf toast and curl up to do just that. I have no silly early starts til the weekend so can stay up a bit later and read tonight.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Well there isn't much news here... except that it's less than 10 days to Bank DF :j

:T
    I've had to chase up some cashback today but it will just be a few days late, and have also noticed a crowdfunding donation I'd forgotten about, but should also get backdated pay rise so that will cancel it out. Must also go and read the Budget stuff too - doesn't look like any of it will help me, but I suppose I'm not really in a position to be moaning. Bit peeved at having missed a lifetime ISA by literally weeks though - having age cutoffs seems rather random when it's short notice.

Short notice, or long notice - doesn't matter. What would you have done about your age if you'd had a year's notice?

I'm a bit suspicious at the motivations of this, and the "Help To Save" scheme. They seem both like broad-based injections of cash.
    Feeling I may have had a bit of a lucky escape with the job I didn't get, as a couple of the people already in those jobs are saying that they don't know if there will be anything for them to go to when that contract ends. The field is changing quite a lot and I am beginning to feel that for me at least, that route isn't worth the costs for its benefits.

Don't forget the "Do I like this?" benefit.
    This means I can just chill :D as much as I'm capable, anyhow.

Room temperature? ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    ZTD wrote: »
    :T
    Short notice, or long notice - doesn't matter. What would you have done about your age if you'd had a year's notice?

I'm a bit suspicious at the motivations of this, and the "Help To Save" scheme. They seem both like broad-based injections of cash.

I once missed out on a payout from a BS becoming a bank and paying out account / shareholders by a couple of months too - bloomin annoying.

All these Gov schemes are essentially to make the Gov £ - like the Help to Buy equity where they essentially invest 20% into your home in the view it will go up in value.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    I once missed out on a payout from a BS becoming a bank and paying out account / shareholders by a couple of months too - bloomin annoying.

Yes, but that's not based on age. Let's say that I'll give you £1000 if you are one day younger than you are now. If I give you a week to change your age, or if I give you a year to change it - you can't change it and I still get to keep the £1000....
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    All these Gov schemes are essentially to make the Gov £ - like the Help to Buy equity where they essentially invest 20% into your home in the view it will go up in value.

Well it's not really an investment, more of a general gift to the housing market, as they don't have a retainer on any property of any description as part of the deal (or so it seems). Now a Government giving away 20%-25% for people to buy houses when they could be buying votes directly instead is what makes me suspicious.

Either they foresee a crash in the housing market (which will make a 20% wind up its skirt seem like a bargain) or more QE is desperately needed (but it has fallen on its posterior) and this is a direct injection of inflation.

Either way, "cuts on one hand, freebies on the other" is very distorting. If the Gov wants people to save more - raising interest rates is the time-honoured way of doing that.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Yes, but that's not based on age. Let's say that I'll give you £1000 if you are one day younger than you are now. If I give you a week to change your age, or if I give you a year to change it - you can't change it and I still get to keep the £1000....

It was based on age for me, payments were made to those 18yrs or older, I missed out by a couple of months. I'd had an account with them since I was 5yrs old too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Hey Rosa
    Glad to her you've been looking after you :)
    Hope the moggies are good
    MMSam xx
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia

that's exactly why things should either not be based on age, or stepped when you make the offer or a change... see 1950s women and pensions
    Well it's not really an investment, more of a general gift to the housing market, as they don't have a retainer on any property of any description as part of the deal (or so it seems). Now a Government giving away 20%-25% for people to buy houses when they could be buying votes directly instead is what makes me suspicious.

Either they foresee a crash in the housing market (which will make a 20% wind up its skirt seem like a bargain) or more QE is desperately needed (but it has fallen on its posterior) and this is a direct injection of inflation.

Either way, "cuts on one hand, freebies on the other" is very distorting. If the Gov wants people to save more - raising interest rates is the time-honoured way of doing that.

Danny Dorling suggests that the 20% is the banks' estimate of how much the market is overvalued, since they are essentially refusing to lend that amount and the govt are kindly stepping in for them... http://www.dannydorling.org/books/allthatissolid/ (this does not make me any less nervous about housebuying, but does mean I will be looking very carefully at the Help to Buy t&c)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Budget still on track, but may have to use some of this month's paycheque this month as I have more days in college - sensible of me to organise as they close for Easter, but I forgot it fell in March not April!

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Hey Rosa
    Glad to her you've been looking after you :)
    Hope the moggies are good
    MMSam xx

Moggies are well thank you. Little one is currently on my lap and approves of your profile pic :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    My bank have just graciously offered me 0% balance transfer for a whole six months at 2.9% fee. :rotfl:*sticks up two fingers at them and suggests they read MSE cards page*

I think it's good timing to be considering my accounts :D

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills