Help with negative on my credit file!

Hey there,

I am rebuilding my credit and have a negative applied to my account from a phone contract I had agreed with Vodafone back in 2013. After contacting Vodafone I could not gain access to my old account having supplied as much detail as I can from 2013 and i am told they cannot find me anywhere on their database. I really want to improve my credit rating with a credit building card but dubious on whether this is counterproductive with the remaining negative on my credit file. So two questions really, how do I approach paying off my remaining balance with Vodafone to improve my credit and would applying for a credit builder credit card be of use considering the circumstance. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Could you be more specific about the exact nature of this 'negative' please.
  • The negative stems from arrears with payment on a phone contract.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your score isn't what you should be focusing on nor is it what lenders see.

Your history is what lenders see which is what your improving.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Is there a default date for the vodafone account on your credit files? If so it will be removed after 6 years from that date, which may not be long to wait if it defaulted early in 2013
  • azza987
    azza987 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation, had 3 defaults on my file, cleared 2 but the last one from orange I had trouble finding as they are now ee, finally located the account after several fone calls and cleared all 3 defaults. (I know the credit scoring system is a marketing tool fabricated to sell us more products, nobody sees our score apart from us and all lenders see is history) it does appear to be catch 22 stuck in a loop, can't get credit as bad rating need credit to improve rating... looking into getting one of these credit building pre pay cards but still not sure, it is the only option I've come across so far (have not looked extensively yet) I see this thread is several weeks old bow, any updates on your situation?
  • If you believe you have an inaccurate account on your files, dispute via the CRAs.
  • azza987 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation, had 3 defaults on my file, cleared 2 but the last one from orange I had trouble finding as they are now ee, finally located the account after several fone calls and cleared all 3 defaults. (I know the credit scoring system is a marketing tool fabricated to sell us more products, nobody sees our score apart from us and all lenders see is history) it does appear to be catch 22 stuck in a loop, can't get credit as bad rating need credit to improve rating... looking into getting one of these credit building pre pay cards but still not sure, it is the only option I've come across so far (have not looked extensively yet) I see this thread is several weeks old bow, any updates on your situation?

Consider LOQBOX. I've signed up myself and it looks like a good thing so far. You don't overpay anything and they don't do a hard search (or any search) on your credit report. Google "Loqbox MSE forum".
  • No - don’t consider Loqbox at all
  • Why what's wrong with them?
  • They're not worth it in terms of what you can get from using a credit card instead for credit history
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure