smart meter

v.boardman
v.boardman Posts: 2 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
a couple of years ago i was offered to have a smart meter installed and someone came down from i think it was EON even though my energy was provided by EDF,, the chap came down to inspect my meter and for some inexplicable reason (it has always been here since we bought the house 30 years ago) my elec meter is positioned in what used to be a walk in pantry (which now stores my fridge freezer"just") there is obviously no door on it now just the fridge freezer doors and the meter believe it or not is above the doorway on the inside of the pantry so the only way you can read it is with a phone or a mirror!,, to which when the guy saw this he said it is impossible for us to put a smart meter there, the supply (which is next to it in what used to be the "pantry" would have to be moved at MY expense which would cost "a lot" and being a pensioner i couldnt afford,, is there anything i can do to get them to move it for free?:(

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If you post this in the correct section 'Energy' rather than the LPG, Heating Oil,Solid and Other Fuels' section you may get some replies.

Perhaps the mods could move it for you.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Although not the best of locations it's not an impossible position. You met a meter installer who decided it was too difficult for him.

You won't get it moved for free - live with it and don't bother with a smart meter.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why move it?

More to the point, why get a so-called 'smart meter'?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    Why move it?

More to the point, why get a so-called 'smart meter'?

Presumably because the existing meter is in such a ridiculous position it's almost impossible to read.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What was the reason given as to why the smart meter could not be installed in the same location as the existing meter has been for the last 30+ years?
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would just sit back and wait until we all have to go "smart meters" and see what happens, interesting to find out if it will be replaced free.
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wavelets wrote: »
    What was the reason given as to why the smart meter could not be installed in the same location as the existing meter has been for the last 30+ years?

Because somebody put a fridge freezer in the way, so you can't get at it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    v.boardman wrote: »
    a couple of years ago i was offered to have a smart meter installed and someone came down from i think it was EON even though my energy was provided by EDF,, the chap came down to inspect my meter and for some inexplicable reason (it has always been here since we bought the house 30 years ago) my elec meter is positioned in what used to be a walk in pantry (which now stores my fridge freezer"just") there is obviously no door on it now just the fridge freezer doors and the meter believe it or not is above the doorway on the inside of the pantry so the only way you can read it is with a phone or a mirror!,, to which when the guy saw this he said it is impossible for us to put a smart meter there, the supply (which is next to it in what used to be the "pantry" would have to be moved at MY expense which would cost "a lot" and being a pensioner i couldnt afford,, is there anything i can do to get them to move it for free?:(

Hello v.boardman and it sounds like we were the Meter Operator for your area when the engineer visited a couple of years ago. We'll have been working on behalf of your then supplier.

Although we've been rolling out smart meters for quite a time, they're not available everywhere yet. It depends on things like the actual area, type of property, the strength of the mobile phone signal and the current metering set-up. There are also certain local difficulties that don't become clear until a technician visits a property.

With smart, the electricity meter is the hub of the operation. It stores, sends and receives information. If there's a gas meter, this sends readings to the electricity meter and the electricity meter sends information to the In-Home Display and back to the supplier. Wood, plasterboard and other building materials generally have a minimal effect on the signal but thick stone and concrete can have a bigger impact. Metal has the biggest effect on the signal.

Things have moved on quite a bit since the engineer's visit you mention and, if you're still interested, I'd have a talk to your current supplier. Only they will be able to advise if it's now possible to fit a smart meter and, if you want, book an appointment. I don't know about other suppliers but we don't charge to fit smart meters.

Hope this is of interest v.boardman.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure