Overhead power line compensation.

Comments

• Thank you TSC.

Also do you know what the rights to get them to remove the cables are? I assume none!

Rgds

C9
  • You almost certainly do have a right, but the DNO has the right to run its lines wherever it needs to: those rights are likely to conflict (see 1.4 of DECC's Guidance for Applicants and Landowners and/or Occupiers (July 2010, rev. June 2013)).

Even apart from that, look at it from the DNO's point of view: no one wants electrical gear on their property, so where the devil can it go?

But I have a friend who lives in a listed house with an extraordinary view. Years before he'd moved in SWEB had ruined that view with an 11kV line to the neighbouring farm. After a certain amount of tense negotiation the line was undergrounded, the cost being shared between SWEB and him. So it can be done.

TSC
  • TSC

One other thought. Could an affected party not claim loss of development value if the overhead lines will prevent this from happening? This is assuming there would be a realistic possibility of development occurring although recently there has been numerous residential building on garden land.

C9
  • I can’t think why not; but a solicitor, or one of the companies mentioned in this thread, would give better advice.

TSC
  • Hi, I was drawn to this thread after also receiving a letter from Sherwill Drake Forbes.

I believe that the DNO offers wayleave payments on a scale agreed with the regulator, and these are paid yearly. The payment is dependant on the equipment installed, not on the value of the land/property.
    If you have no existing agreement these may be able to be backdated for approximately 5 years.

If the circuit is protected elsewhere only by Wayleave, and easement is unlikely to be sought for an addition to that circuit.

If you seek to cancel a Wayleave for equipment that feeds your property, consider that you’ll then need to pay for a new service to be installed. That could be expensive if the line that was close has been removed at your request.

The DNO has a right to install equipment where required in the public highway. Consent is required for private property, but consider that vast swathes of the network (132kV, 33kV, 11kV & 230V) will go over private land at some point. Play hardball with the DNO and force an undergrounding scheme for purely aesthetic reasons, the cost for that scheme gets passed onto the bill payer. Everyone in the country relies on the goodwill of their neighbours to receive an electricity supply.

Always go direct to the DNO, don’t go through the ambulance chasers. They’ll have a contact (usually a Wayleave Officer) that will sort you out.

I used to work for a DNO, but I believe the above still stands. If I remember anything else I’ll put it up.
  • Having recently been contacted by TBC Ltd I've read every post in every thread on MSE forums, about Wayleave payments. We have 2 poles in our garden and inherited a Wayleave payment of £30 per year (for both poles) from the previous occupants. TBC Ltd first suggested we allow them to act for us in negotiating a Wayleave payment for the 'High Voltage' equipment affecting our land. Up to £25,000 was possible, according to their blurb. I wrote a short email in return, pointing out that the equipment was actually Low Voltage (great research, guys!) and asking if this made any difference. Within 24 hours an identical letter arrived, this time refrerencing Low Voltage equipment, and citing up to £1000 compo.

I tend to agree that it's unlikely we would get any more by appointing them as agents, given we had checked with our provider directly, shortly after completing on our house sale. TBC Ltd charge 20% but there is, potentially, an additional fee of unknown cost, as described in item 3 of their "Terms of Engagement".

This says that (quote) "In addition to the commission referred to in (2) above, the Company (TBC Ltd) will also be entitled to any agents/surveyors fee which the electricity network is prepared to award. The relevant electricity fee is payable by the electricity network (normally directly to the Company) and is separate from and in addition to the consideration paid to the landowner in respect of the grant of a new Wayleave or easement, however, in the event that the electricity network fail to pay the surveyors fee in part or in full, the shortfall will become payable from the compensation monies in addition to the commission in (2) above" (end quote).

So, there's a chance we would pay 20% commission plus the unstated and unkowable full or part cost of a surveyor fee. And the process can take "up to 24 months".

No thanks.
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 January 2019 at 7:30PM
    Prompted by an unsolicited letter from Thomson Broadbent, I've started looking into this. We own a smallholding in rural Kent. I found our Wayleaves consent email address from the Energy Networks website, and our National Grid reference from the 'gridreferencefinder' website, and sent an email. I'll post any updates. We bought the property last March for £550k, but there was nothing in the paperwork about wayleave/easement. We're probably not entitled to anything but I've enjoyed the research.

EDIT: I spoke to our neighbour who confirmed they got a one-off payment from BT, an annual payment from UK Power Networks, and confirmed where the lines go across our garden and agricultural land to the farm.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • Hi all

Very informative thread - thanks to everyone for sharing.

We've recently moved into a property which has an existing Wayleave in place from the 1960's and the previous owners still received about £18 per year from the Electricity company. The agreement was valid for 23 years and thereafter is on an annual basis.

My question is, can we, as new owners, approach the electicity company and re-negotiate the wayleave in the hope of getting a lump sum rather than the annual payment? If so, any idea of what figure we could expect and would it be worth going through a solicitor?

We have two 11kV wooden poles in our garden, one of which has a transformer on it.

Hope you can shed some light.

Badger
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Got an offer from UK Power Networks of £30 for last year, plus a lump sum of £150 to cover the next 5 years, then the option to renew or go for an annual payment.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • Ako26
    Ako26 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Hi

Please can someone help me? We have just received a letter from Thomas Broad bent and PCC about the overhead cables I didn't even know we could claim. We o ly bought the house last no th. Please can someo e tell me who e to Contact
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback