Travelling On

Options

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear - now you ladies have me thinking about chocolate covered bacon!:o

(...yes it is really a 'thing' over the pond...)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Genealogy is just endlessly fascinating - there's always someone new to investigate, a problem to solve or history to learn :)

I'll have to pass on the info about the chocolate covered bacon to my DH RT - he is a fan of such combinations... chocolate covered sausage rolls were a particular favourite!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know how genealogy can take over your life:eek:. Been there, done that:o. The trouble is that it's all so fascinating, relevant or not. I had the habit of straying off the main family path to find out more about the very distant relatives who had very little bearing on my own line. I chose them often for nothing more than they had an interesting and unusual name:rotfl:. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was deeply engrossed people whose lives were totally peripheral to the ancestors that I was trying to track.
    Yes! We had seemingly apocryphal tales about a distant rellie marrying somebody rich, and sending pretty toddler clothes back to this country, and we have a photo of my mum dressed up in the toddler clothes. Turns out it was true! Millionaires in the south of France, Agatha Christie, the last deb season before the war, 1920s-1940s, the whole bit - but absolutely nothing to do with the Irish immigrants who are my *actual* ancestors :p
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Oh dear - now you ladies have me thinking about chocolate covered bacon!:o

(...yes it is really a 'thing' over the pond...)
    Good lord, RT :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I wonder if I can fry quorn "chicken chunks" and dip them :rotfl: Quorn bacon is nasty, so I couldn't do it with that ;)
    themadvix wrote: »
    Genealogy is just endlessly fascinating - there's always someone new to investigate, a problem to solve or history to learn :)
    There really is .... I have to get to grips with my habit of diving in and not coming up for breath!
    I'll have to pass on the info about the chocolate covered bacon to my DH RT - he is a fan of such combinations... chocolate covered sausage rolls were a particular favourite!
    What have we done!

**wrings hands helplessly**

**helpless with laughter, that is **

:j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Right, before I wander about on mse for a bit, I want to post a bit of a to-do list:
    - dishwasher (its on already)
    - washing machine (a line drying day!)
    - phone bruv, he was lurgified last week.
    - back up computer (after all that computer work, oops.
    - fetch my Amazon shopping from the collection point.
    - gardening - and uh oh, the ordinary weeds are marching, as well as brambles.
    - open the post
    - pay a few bills
    - and a huge great frog :( phone the builder - my garden gate doesn't bolt any more, after installation less than 6 months ago.

Hiding on the mse forum for a bit, though.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I dodged that particular frog. Our builder wasn't the best at fitting gates and the (cheap) handle he fitted sheared off after a few months.

I removed it and will ask FIL to help replace it. I also added a sturdy bolt, which has also been replaced (very windy in our neck of the woods). Is your gate wood? Unfortunately natural materials seem to misbehave, shrinking and swelling etc. When I replaced our bolt, I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Nothing had changed visibly (all screws and planks still intact and as expected), but it just didn't fit any more! When I added the new one, I allowed for a bit more wiggle room, but I fully expect it to die in another few years :eek:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Hi Ed! Yes, my gate and fence are solid wood - the handle and latch are also misbehaving, as you say I think its a cheap fitting and something's a bit broken inside. I keep a table knife hidden in the front garden now, so I can use it to lever the handle open :(

The bolt just isn't getting to the metal semicircle, getting "home", if you like - its gradually shaving wood off the fence post.

After what you've said, though - I'll have a look at it now. Wiggle, push, pull, that sort of thing :rotfl:
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Probably not an option KC, but my go to for any misbehaving wooden thing is to check alignment of all pieces and tighten any loose screws/bolts (with a drill driver to save time).
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Yikes, no, not an option Ed, sorry - but everything seems tight - I think the door may have just sagged a bit ... phone call is still to do, it's a mighty frog, might as well be a shark :rotfl:

- dishwasher (its on already)
    Yes, all done!

- washing machine (a line drying day!)
    Out on the line - I may even wash some bedding, though currently no line space :rotfl:

- phone bruv, he was lurgified last week. - back up computer (after all that computer work, oops.
    - fetch my Amazon shopping from the collection point.
    - gardening - and uh oh, the ordinary weeds are marching, as well as brambles.
    All of these for later on.

- open the post
    done - I knew what there was :)

- pay a few bills
    paid 2 of 3. The third was the one with the potential late payment. I've phoned, they agreed to waive it, which is nice, and they really don't need to do that, but I've realised it has the cruise tickets payment on - so I've transferred some money to my current account, it needs to get there before I can pay the bill.

- and a huge great frog :( phone the builder - my garden gate doesn't bolt any more, after installation less than 6 months ago.
    Not yet. Don't know if I'm going to do this one today ....

Cuppa tea, then off out into the garden, I think. Ginger cat has deigned to sit at the bottom of the garden, sunning himself :)
  • edinburgher
    Options
    We saw one of our favourite cats the other day - a big puffy gentle giant of a ginger Tom who sits on car roofs in the middle of a street in Glasgow. It always makes our day to see him and DD was beside herself with excitement :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Love the sound of the big ginger cat sitting on the car roofs~~as long as its not mine :rotfl:

I have the same garden gate malarky.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback