Barclays account "under review"

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    starM wrote: »
    We have just sold a property and l20k has been transferred in our account. The money is available and we are hoping the property we are purchasing completion will be done by next Friday.

Now if bank freeze the account because of large credit and took a long time to make a decsion on it. Who would be responsible for our losses especially if we loose the property.

Why would this transaction cause an issue? Seems totally straightforward. Unless there's something that you haven't said.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Conversation with whom exactly? If they want conversation they must have some regular procedure for this and make their customers aware of its existence.

'They' don't want it, the account-holder needs it.

No must about it; it is not up to 'them' to hand-hold their customers, it is expected that ordinary people have a modicum of common sense and general knowledge, and keep themselves informed and acquainted with what's going on in the world.
    Those that stick their head up their jacksie and ignore it do so at their peril. After all, who actually suffers most?
    I read so many posts on forums (not just MSE) and mutter to myself 'self-inflicted' and move on.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Why would this transaction cause an issue? Seems totally straightforward. Unless there's something that you haven't said.
    Did you read the very first post in this thread? Was that transaction not 'straightforward'? Even the bank's employee was surprised by the freezing.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    I read so many posts on forums (not just MSE) and mutter to myself 'self-inflicted' and move on.
    I read many times that people tried to inform their bank in advance only to be fobbed off by the frontline CS saying that they couldn't do anything.
  • shootingstarr
    Options
    Why is depositing a large cheque 'dodgy', mgdavid?

I received my stamp duty refund from HMRC and went into a branch to have it deposited. The staff did it for me. Next day I was told my 'Premier' account was 'under review' for 10 working days and I should 'refer to the Terms and Conditions' on my account if I had a problem with that. That's it. No way to pay my bills coming at the end of the month.

Am I 'dodgy' for taking a cheque from HMRC into a branch to have it deposited, mgdavid? How else should I have done it? Singing telegram delivery to the head office?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Did you read the very first post in this thread? Was that transaction not 'straightforward'? Even the bank's employee was surprised by the freezing.
    No, it was a large payment from an overseas account. We do not know which country it was from, but as I am told in my quarterly endless training sessions there are jurisdictions that are immediately red-flagged for greater scrutiny.

If it was a payment from Soc Gen Paris then yes, it is a bit strange, but if it was a payment from a country subject to sanctions then it is not a surprise that it is problematic.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    No, it was a large payment from an overseas account. We do not know which country it was from, but as I am told in my quarterly endless training sessions there are jurisdictions that are immediately red-flagged for greater scrutiny.

If it was a payment from Soc Gen Paris then yes, it is a bit strange, but if it was a payment from a country subject to sanctions then it is not a surprise that it is problematic.
    Since the document is in Italian, I'm assuming that the funds are from Italy?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why is depositing a large cheque 'dodgy', mgdavid?

I received my stamp duty refund from HMRC and went into a branch to have it deposited. The staff did it for me. Next day I was told my 'Premier' account was 'under review' for 10 working days and I should 'refer to the Terms and Conditions' on my account if I had a problem with that. That's it. No way to pay my bills coming at the end of the month.

Am I 'dodgy' for taking a cheque from HMRC into a branch to have it deposited, mgdavid? How else should I have done it? Singing telegram delivery to the head office?

You've replied to a thread that is 12 months old !
  • MoneyManBene
    Options
    You are clearly aware Banks have regulations under anti-money laundering laws to check the source of funds into a customers account. The have the right to block any account if they have suspicions and do not need to inform the customer under T&Cs on the accounts. It will stay blocked until said customer provides proof of those funds.
  • MoneyManBene
    Options
    I read many times that people tried to inform their bank in advance only to be fobbed off by the frontline CS saying that they couldn't do anything.

Ok, so ponder on this one... " Hi Mr CS, I am a fraudster who is about to Scam an 80 year old out of £10,000 of his life savings. I will be sending that money to my account, is that ok? I dont want it to look dodgy or get stopped, as I want to draw it all out in branch the next day, ok "

Banks do not work on a preemptive system but a reactive system, payments are assessed as they are paid rather than clearing them because Mr 18 year old wants to buy a new £10,000 car in cash that they have just scammed someone out of. Again this is the law to check.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback