PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well... you can pinch all his coupons BUT he then can't have any new clothes or shoes this year, which might be a problem!

**PipneyJane** - would you okay this idea? Your thread, after all!

Since you weren't doing this from Jan 1st, I suppose you could draw a line and start on Feb 1st with 11/12 of the annual coupon count? I did that last year after getting hopelessly lost and muddled and having no idea at all where I was, just drew a line and started again with 6 months to go and 50% of the coupons.

I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to rely on doing it, and certainly I don't think anyone should do it repeatedly! - but you hadn't started when you spent those coupons, so you could go for starting on Feb 1st with sixty and a half coupons, and be firm with yourself from then on?

Laura, I agree with your logic and your wisdom. Sayschezza how about you start the challenge from this week, with (say) 63 coupons left for the year? We'll ignore your earlier spend.

Regarding the dress-bought-as-birthday-present issue, this is within the "family dynamic" so tricky because a husband buying his wife a coat, would normally spend her coupons not his own because he'd have access to them. The deciding question is: is it a genuine surprise gift? If he's buying you the dress because you wanted the dress as a present, then I think you should spend your own coupons on it. If he buys you something without prompting because "I know how much you love that cashmere cardigan, so thought I'd give you another for your birthday", then that's a surprise gift that came out of his coupons.

Does that make sense? When my friend gave me a dress to wear to her wedding last year - I was BestWoman - we decided that she'd raided her wardrobe and given it to me, making it coupon-free.

(It was presented to me as a fait accompli. I never chose the dress. Didn't even try it on before it was purchased. Fortunately, it fitted. I think we'd had a conversation about clothing sizes at one point.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    vintagegal wrote: »
    I have spent MORE coupons on a pair of shoes and on a skirt. I do find January difficult, I think it's the anticlimax of Christmas, the dark mornings and evenings, the feeling that you should be doing something to improve yourself, and the pesky sales calling my name.

I need to stop seeing things. I don't go shopping really, except a couple of trips a year to Bicester. It is online that is my danger zone. I've been unsubscribing from emails every day, but I think I am going to have to unfollow everything I like on Instagram, including 'influencers' because they influence me :rotfl:

I think I might limit my phone usage as well, using an app that forces you off.

I really don't need anything, so I need to think about why I am still looking.

I think you're making huge strides forward! Brilliant to see, well done that VintageGal!

I think a huge amount of it is that we feel an emptiness of some kind in our minds and are persuaded by advertising and social influencers that the emptiness must be in our wardrobes, our bathroom cabinets, our fridges.... buy this! buy that! if you own the other then you'll feel perfect!

So by looking as hard and as honestly as you are doing, you can ignore the advertising/influencing voices and learn to listen to yourself, and take your own advice on whether to buy something or not.

If January feels cold and anti-climactic, what might you do to fill it that doesn't involve buying? What about meeting up with a friend? How about meeting up with a friend to do something you wouldn't normally do? Get a bag of frozen peas and thaw them, then go and feed some ducks together! Seek out some informal local thing to do - I've just started going out on the easier walks with the Ramblers, which is great fun, helps me lose weight and they are so positive in outlook it really chirks me up!

Maybe this year you might still struggle - don't beat yourself up. You're only starting, after all. I was hopeless last year! But what you *can* do this year is work out what's going on, and what you can do to avoid the situation, now and in the future...

And have all those lovely coupons to spend on things you really love!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • funfairprincess
    Options
    Hi all x have you room for one more please? (I'm only little I promise :D)
    Spent far too much on clothes and shoes last year, I need to get it under control. I've been good so far this year nothing at all purchased!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Ok I bow to your wisdom and will count the dress if it fits but not the coat because it was actually ordered and paid for on line in December, it just didn't get delivered until January.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have not bought a thing so far since i signed up. The aim is to make my own clothes or buy from charity shops. Have a good stash of fabric.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Great wisdom, Laura. I used to look at catalogues and see things I liked the look of and buy them ...

I don't go clothes shopping now, I don't read ads or visit websites - yesterday a friend asked if I'd like a discount code for one of my favourite shops, and I said 'I'm not planning on buying any new clothes this year'. I think she thought I was slightly mad!

One thing this thread has really helped me with is thinking logically about what I need. When I've decided that, I go charity shopping, or consider whether it's something I can make. It's quite satisfying to only have things in the wardrobe that I actually wear.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks to whomever mentioned the "Fashion On the Ration" book (Fashion on the Ration, Style in the Second World War by Julie Summers). I've been reading the kindle edition. It's fascinating. Did you know that the reason silk stockings were so hard to find is not because there was difficulty importing the raw material nor because all the silk was saved for the military? No. It was because it was all saved for the export market! The country was desperate for foreign income, so 75% of all items not manufactured for the military was for the export market. The civilian population were limited to 25% and, before the Utility scheme came in, it was usually the second grade, worst quality stuff that was saved for them.
    Hi all x have you room for one more please? (I'm only little I promise :D)
    Spent far too much on clothes and shoes last year, I need to get it under control. I've been good so far this year nothing at all purchased!

Yes, certainly!. Welcome. Just shove the labrador off the couch, so that you can get close to the fire to warm up. (It's snowing here.) He won't mind, so long as you pat him first.

What others have found is that it helps to do an audit of your current wardrobe and to be brutally honest with yourself while you do it. Not only do you get to see exactly what you own, but you get to identify the holes in your wardrobe too, so that you know what you need to spend your precious coupons on (or stalk the charity shops for).

I warn you, it can be a painful process. You have to admit why you don't wear something. Does it fit? Do you not like the way it looks on you? Does it need a new jacket/cardigan/top to make it wearable? Does it need mending? Is it waiting for dry cleaning? Do you hate the fabric? Do you just hate the outfit? (If the above sounds too painful/messy/fussy, someone suggested turning all the hangers around and then turning them back when you wore an outfit. That way, at least you'll be able to identify which ones you never wear.)

In my case, things that don't get worn usually "needs the hem taken up" or "sew on new button", but there are a few items waiting for "lose spare tyre from waist".

We have a couple of challenges ahead to inspire us: for mending, we're planning on having a "Mend It March"; to tackle the pile of knitting/sewing UFO's (unfinished objects), we will be doing "Fix and Finish February".

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh, I like 'Fix and Finish February! I have got a long-length cardigan that I made last year, it was my first attempt at sewing a cardigan and I like it, but I made a couple of mistakes. Typically, rather than go back and correct it, I ploughed ahead and finished it - bit of a character trait.

It's probably only a couple of hours work to take the facing off, tidy up the mistake and take in the seams slightly. It's the sort of thing I normally put off, because I'm scared of it. At the moment it hangs in the wardrobe, as despite liking the fabric and the cut, I've never been completely happy with it.

That's number 1 on the list, I'm sure there are others!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • funfairprincess
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »

Yes, certainly!. Welcome. Just shove the labrador off the couch, so that you can get close to the fire to warm up. (It's snowing here.) He won't mind, so long as you pat him first.

What others have found is that it helps to do an audit of your current wardrobe and to be brutally honest with yourself while you do it. Not only do you get to see exactly what you own, but you get to identify the holes in your wardrobe too, so that you know what you need to spend your precious coupons on (or stalk the charity shops for).

I warn you, it can be a painful process. You have to admit why you don't wear something. Does it fit? Do you not like the way it looks on you? Does it need a new jacket/cardigan/top to make it wearable? Does it need mending? Is it waiting for dry cleaning? Do you hate the fabric? Do you just hate the outfit? (If the above sounds too painful/messy/fussy, someone suggested turning all the hangers around and then turning them back when you wore an outfit. That way, at least you'll be able to identify which ones you never wear.)

In my case, things that don't get worn usually "needs the hem taken up" or "sew on new button", but there are a few items waiting for "lose spare tyre from waist".

We have a couple of challenges ahead to inspire us: for mending, we're planning on having a "Mend It March"; to tackle the pile of knitting/sewing UFO's (unfinished objects), we will be doing "Fix and Finish February".

- Pip
    Thank you. I will spend Sunday going through my wardrobe to see exactly what is in there. I took 3 pairs of trousers out of there the other day to go to the CS as they don't fit and I don't why I bought them because I never wear trousers! :o
    I do have a couple of summer tops that need mending so I'll look forward to the challenges!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I spent coupons today and I'm not feeling entirely convinced I spent wisely... I had to go to the bank, so I cut through M&S as usual and they've moved their undies sale-rail to right beside the main walkway through that they know everyone uses as a short-cut... one gorgeous bra-let thingummie in utterly romantic and pretty deep-muted-old-rose pink softest velvet, half-price, and then I looked in Primark for the thing i definitely want to buy another couple of, ie roll-neck cotton top for layering in colder weather, and didn't find those but did come out with three new long-sleeved t-shirt-thickness tops which were reduced to a quid each...

So, well... yes, bargains - and yes, I will wear them... but I didn't need any of them.... I just wanted them... not quite sure how I will feel about them come the end of the year when I actually need something and have no coupons left!

Also, I can't quite work out the coupon cost.

Is the bra-let the same as a corset? It's a much flimsier garment, maybe more like a vest?

And the long-sleeved tops are too thin to be decent worn alone so I layer them under things for about 8 months of the year, under shirts or blouses in milder weather, under jumpers in colder... what are those? Surely not as many as for a blouse? Are they a form of combinations, do you think?!

One crop-top bra-let thing, and three long-sleeved layering-t-shirt-tops... argh! Maybe I should also consider whether I know what category I'm buying before I buy it :)

On the plus side, I finished my Stealth-Spot Green Skirt today so will wear it tomorrow! No coupons!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure