IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bertie129 wrote: »
    Thanks to all here for their help. This appeal against Topher Ltd (Homebase car park) was allowed on grounds of NGPEOL:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4995163

POPLA decision:
    http://s7.postimg.org/531c3u49n/page_001_redacted.jpg
    http://s28.postimg.org/jwmde73l9/page_002_redacted.jpg

It was a Homebase car park with free parking therefore there can have been no initial loss to either Homebase or Topher therefore all their costs are entirely self-inflicted in spending £xx to chase a loss of £0 so cannot form any part of a pre-estimate of loss.
  • decision has just been received... success!
    YAY for everyone here :D

me vs. JAS Parking Solutions, Staples car park.
    secretmachines (Appellant)
    -vJAS
    Parking Solutions (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXX arising out of the presence at Staples XXX, on XX March 2014, of a vehicle with registration mark XXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has
    determined that the appeal be allowed.

The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

It does not appear to be in dispute that the appellant’s vehicle was parked on the site and that the operator’s employee concluded that the driver left the site without using the store on site. They therefore issued a parking charge notice.

The appellant made a number of representations, but I need only deal with the one upon which I am allowing the appeal, that the charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    The operator rejected the representations. In regard to the genuine pre-estimate of loss issue, the operator stated that the charge represented a genuine pre-estimate of loss, and provided supporting statements.

Considering the evidence before me, I find that the operator has not provided evidence of an initial loss, which is a loss incurred prior to enforcement action being taken, such as the loss of the parking fee in the case of a pay and display car park where no ticket was purchased. Once such a loss is shown, losses flowing from it may be claimed, but without such a loss that is not the case. I find that the appellant’s statement about losses stemming from unauthorised parking does not show an initial loss, as no basis for the calculations is provided. Whilst the losses stated by the operator may well flow from a breach, an initial loss must be shown in order to claim costs in respect of them. As an initial loss must be shown in order for a charge to constitute a genuine pre-estimate of loss, the operator has failed to show that the charge is a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Therefore the charge notice is invalid. Having found this, I am not required to consider any further issues raised by the appellant.

Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.
  • Many thanks to everyone on this forum and particular thanks to Coupon-Mad who helped me with specific questions. I have just received the successful outcome of my appeal about a parking charge from MacDonalds at Gatwick Airport. Here's the details:

(Appellant)

-v-

MET Parking Services Ltd (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number

arising out of a presence on private land, of a vehicle with registration mark

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]allowed. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.

The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.

Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]Shehla Pirwany

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Assessor

All the best to one and all.

bcgraeme
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Great - as always, MET don't even bother to contest our appeals!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Another win against UK CPM - they had the nerve to try and charge me £60/£100 for parking in my own allocated parking space without a valid permit. (I had an older permit displayed, not the latest one they had issued..)

Decision below:
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.
    The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.
    Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.
    Shehla Pirwany

Thanks for all the support, guys. If not for these forums, I would have paid it off thinking I really was in the wrong. Am glad I didn't. :)
  • MissMix
    MissMix Posts: 24 Forumite
    My (2nd!!) notice cancelled this time Excel@Iceland car park :j

Followed newbies guide, made amendments & got lots of feedback/guidance here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5095642&highlight=

The Operator’s case is that the terms of parking state that the car park is 24
    hour pay and display car park. They say that the Appellant’s vehicle was
    observed parked after the expiry of time and they enclosed supportive
    evidence including a genuine pre-estimate report to support their
    submissions.
    The Appellant has made a number of submissions, however, I will only
    elaborate on the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on, namely
    that the amount of the parking charge notice does not represent a genuine
    pre-estimate of loss.
    The Operator rejected the Appellant’s representations, as set out in the notice
    of rejection they sent because, they state that a breach of the car park
    conditions had occurred by parking after the expiry of time. They have
    submitted a breakdown of the losses they incur as a result of the Appellant’s
    breach. Amongst other things, the Operator has included costs such as the
    debt recovery process and final reminder process costs which do not amount
    to a genuine pre – estimate of loss as the Operator has not incurred this loss as
    a result of the Appellant’s breach. I am not minded to accept the debt
    recovery process as part of the justification as not all parking charge notices
    will go to the debt recovery process stage. I also find that the Operator
    cannot claim the “2nd Stage Process” to be a separate heading of losses
    incurred as a result of the Appellant’s breach. This is because the procedure
    of dealing with an appeal is not structured in a way so that the Appellant can
    re-appeal to the Operator. Therefore I find that it is not reasonable for the
    Operator to pre-estimate this as a loss. I find that the list submitted by the
    Operator does not substantially reflect the loss suffered as a result of the
    Appellant’s breach. This is because It appears that a substantial portion of the
    costs refer to the debt recovery process and the “2nd Stage Process”.
    Considering carefully all the evidence before me, I find that, the parking
    charge sought is a sum by way of damages and damages sought on this
    particular occasion do not amount to a genuine pre- estimate of loss.

Accordingly, I allow this appeal.
    Aurela Qerimi
    Assessor
    don't spend more than we need to :cool:

truly-savvy.blogspot.com
  • Hi this is the first time ive posted on this site and i apologise if i have done this wrong!!

I got issued a £60 parking fine last night from Norfolk Parking Enforcement for unauthorised parking i think i was literally minutes over a 2 hour free car parking!! My car was the only one in the car park.

I have read previous replies and threads but cant see one similar to mine, as they read about permits or over white lines.

Im looking for a draft letter to appeal within 14 days or my fine goes to £100. I have been online to view my fine and there is 3 photos of my car at 7.10 but nothing stating or showing time of arrival??

Thanks in advance

Cindy
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    tazstar wrote: »
    Hi this is the first time ive posted on this site and i apologise if i have done this wrong!!

I got issued a £60 parking fine last night from Norfolk Parking Enforcement for unauthorised parking i think i was literally minutes over a 2 hour free car parking!! My car was the only one in the car park.

I have read previous replies and threads but cant see one similar to mine, as they read about permits or over white lines.

Im looking for a draft letter to appeal within 14 days or my fine goes to £100. I have been online to view my fine and there is 3 photos of my car at 7.10 but nothing stating or showing time of arrival??

Thanks in advance

Cindy

You really need to start your own thread. This one is for POPLA decisions. And it's not a "fine".
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    I really so despair at times about peoples' ability to read. :(
  • I've been looking around the site, but wonder if some of the experts can help me.

I used some wording from the forum to appeal to CPM in August and have just recently received the four page reply on a letter dated 25 November 2014.

I wonder if anyone can help me with the points I should cover in the appeal letter to POPLA.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback