Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Comments

• gcdona
    gcdona Posts: 11 Forumite
    Online system is very good and accessible but beyond that I've found their customer service to be nothing short of terrible. I have worked customer service previously so I always try to be forgiving to call handlers as it is not an easy job. However, it has literally been every occasion I've called SP the issue has been heightened because of their failure to keep promises and general lack of empathy. I might just have been unlucky with the people I have called through to but I certainly found Scottish Hydro to be a much better company to deal with on the phones.
  • tjfs
    tjfs Posts: 25 Forumite
    I see that MSE users give ScottishPower a reasonable rating but other sites such as TrustPilot don't. I wonder if this is because this thread goes back five years?

I have recent experience of ScottishPower and their customer service is remarkably poor, particularly if you switch to their PowerUp tariff.

In 2016 OFGEM said ScottishPower had failed to provide even the basic level of service required, attracting more than one million customer complaints between June 2013 and December 2015.

I'd suggest giving them a miss until they sort themselves out.

Tim
  • I've been with Scottish Power for my electricity since August 2016 and I haven't had any problems with them, and I would rate their web site as one of the better ones I've used for meter readings / billing.

For me the best customer service I can receive is not having to contact customer service.
  • I have just instigated a switch to Scottish Power on their Super Saver April 2019 v2 tariff as I wanted to pay Quarterly Cash or Cheque - my MSE account is set to show these tariffs.

However I have received a letter from Scottish Power stating Online by Debit Card payment method. Their website doesn't mention Cash or Cheque payments, everything but. I haven't been able to get through on the phone, so have emailed Scottish Power for clarification. Will update here with any news,

Can anyone at MSE check and confirm what is going on here?
  • Just a quick thought but is that tariff just an online only type tariff, if it is then cheque and cash payments would be classed as offline payments.
  • denko
    denko Posts: 4 Newbie
    tjfs wrote: »
    I have recent experience of ScottishPower and their customer service is remarkably poor, particularly if you switch to their PowerUp tariff.

I'd suggest giving them a miss until they sort themselves out.

Tim
    I understand that forums such as this are a magnet for those who wish to bemoan a given situation, and therefore can often seem a bit negative. However, this is my first post on MSE after being a member for at least 5 years. I honestly don't believe I'm normally a moaner.
    Today though, I had my worst customer experience ever. I called to try to rectify some clerical errors, made by SP. Quite honestly, the staff didn't seem to know their job. I had to call 3 times and I'm really not confident they've got it sorted yet. One staff member was (IMO) very rude and just not suitable for a job in customer service.
    I also had to call my old supplier today, where I got through to a really competent member of staff first time.
    I will be leaving Scottish Power as soon as I'm out of contract.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    denko wrote: »
    I understand that forums such as this are a magnet for those who wish to bemoan a given situation, and therefore can often seem a bit negative. However, this is my first post on MSE after being a member for at least 5 years. I honestly don't believe I'm normally a moaner.
    Today though, I had my worst customer experience ever. I called to try to rectify some clerical errors, made by SP. Quite honestly, the staff didn't seem to know their job. I had to call 3 times and I'm really not confident they've got it sorted yet. One staff member was (IMO) very rude and just not suitable for a job in customer service.
    I also had to call my old supplier today, where I got through to a really competent member of staff first time.

Our family treasures its relatively brief time with the Spanish-owned 'Scottish Power'. Souvenirs of that time were shared with the Ombudsman service and appreciated there, too.

Because we would never -- repeat: NEVER -- telephone the customer service department of any energy supplier, a major complaint which developed into a long-running dispute was conducted with Scottish Power via email and Special Delivery surface mail only.

That way, a continuously updated (or, well, as continuous as any progress might be with SP) written record was in existence, rather than notes of phone conversations which aren't evidenciary proof of anything in a civil dispute and, candidly, a complete waste of time.

SP eventually excelled itself in terms of incompetence and unintelligibility by emailing us a lengthy (though as it turned out, utterly misleading) explanation of its position. The email comprised several paragraphs of text. The first section of the email was entirely in Spanish. The second section of the email was a repeat of the first, but now in. . . German.

We were left to conclude that in any language, Spanish / German / Scottish Power does indeed offer the worst possible customer experience, as you now appear to be finding out. :(
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    denko wrote: »

Hi denko

I am sorry to hear of the poor customer service you have received trying to get your issue sorted. I would like to get this resolved for you.

If you could possibly email me at Social@scottishpower.com with the following information,
    your MSE handle in the subject heading
    your full address
    your name and telephone number
    and some details of the issues you have encountered
    I can look to get this escalated for you

Kind Regards
    Danielle
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I moved house recently and the local council move all of their properties on to Our Power, the previous supplier was Scottish Power. SP obviously wanted paying for the energy used before the switch and were sending letters addressed to the "Legal Owner" of the property.

I did phone SP first and advised them that we'd only just moved in and they needed to talk to the local council (the previous occupant had moved into a home a couple of months earlier). They were very professional on the phone and said they'd sort it out. They immediately passed it on to a debt collection company who are now sending letters to the property (still addressed to the legal owner).

I contacted the debt collection company who dropped the call, so I passed the letter on to the correct department at the council (schedules and voids) and yet I'm still getting letters. I might add that I'm totally at ease with the situation as I wasn't even in the property at the time the bill was wracked up.

I can't decide which of Scottish Power, the local council or the debt collection company are the most inept.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,574 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can't decide which of Scottish Power, the local council or the debt collection company are the most inept.
    They're obviously working as a team!:rotfl:

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback