Carers Allowance overpayment

Options

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Blakes_Mum wrote: »
    I have been claiming carers for my husband and had put up my hours at work from 16 to 24 they have written to me saying that since April 2017 they want my payslips and have stopped my money. I honestly did not know I had done anything wrong I am now down £240 a month and worried how I can carry on. My husband has just been diagnosed with another cancer and has dementia. What will happen I can not afford to live now as he has run up some credit card bills that I was only just managing. Cant get to citizens advice as they only open limited hours while I am at work. I am looking at having to repay a large amount. or prison do you think

It would have been better to start your own thread with this question. Asking questions on someone else’s thread causes confusion because they look at the first post and answer that.

To claim carers allowance you mustn’t earn more than £123 per week after deductions. Working 24 hours per week means you will be earning more than the allowed amount. You will have an overpayment from the time you increased your hours and won’t be entitled to any carers allowance for that amount of time. You may have a fine on top for not reporting the changes and you will have to arrange to repay what you owe. How much you will owe will depend on when the changes took place. Carers allowance is £65.15 per week from April 2019, slightly less in previous years. Add the weeks and you’ll know roughly what you owe. I very much doubt you’ll be sent to prison for this.

You will need to send them the payslips like they asked you do to. Once they receive these and a decision is made they will contact you.

It does state on all letters that all changes must be reported.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I believe that the figure is £110 (depending on date) pw after deductions (Tax, pension, any extra allowances etc)
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Blakes_Mum wrote: »
    I have been claiming carers for my husband and had put up my hours at work from 16 to 24 they have written to me saying that since April 2017 they want my payslips and have stopped my money. I honestly did not know I had done anything wrong I am now down £240 a month and worried how I can carry on. My husband has just been diagnosed with another cancer and has dementia. What will happen I can not afford to live now as he has run up some credit card bills that I was only just managing. Cant get to citizens advice as they only open limited hours while I am at work. I am looking at having to repay a large amount. or prison do you think

If you are now working 24 hours per week and only being paid £240 per month - something is wrong - minimum pay is now £8.21 per hour - which means £800 per month - minimum
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I believe that the figure is £110 (depending on date) pw after deductions (Tax, pension, any extra allowances etc)

£123 after deductions according to this link

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/carers-allowance/
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are now working 24 hours per week and only being paid £240 per month - something is wrong - minimum pay is now £8.21 per hour - which means £800 per month - minimum

£240 is the amount of carers allowance now lost
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »

It is £123 now - but this is an old claim - dating back to pre 2017- That's why I added "depending on date"
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 June 2019 at 4:16PM
    Options
    It is £123 now - but this is an old claim - dating back to pre 2017- That's why I added "depending on date"

Aah. Fair point

£116 in 2017/2018

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/About-Us/News/Benefits-Update-June-2017-Carers

£110 before that

https://www.carersinsouthampton.co.uk/change-to-carers-allowance-earnings-rule-announced
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Carers Allowance earnings limit
    April 2017 -116.00 pw
    April 2018 - 120 00 pw
    April 2019 - 123.00 pw
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    £240 is the amount of carers allowance now lost

Yep - misread it !
    But earnings must be at least £200 pw - so no CA
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Either way, if the OP has been working those amount of hours for 2 years that’s potentially at least £6,000 overpayment for carer allowance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure