PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• storytime
    storytime Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi spends at Lidl £29.89 and Mr T £17.17 which included toiletries for holiday. I noticed Mr T was selling Yorkshire tea bags 80 for £2.00 but Iceland had 160 for £2.50 so I shall be stocking up at Iceland. I made bean burgers today but DH wasn't keen so I will have to try another recipe. I'm determined to cut down on meat.Sig updated.
    My secret fantasy is having 2 men....
    1 cooking and 1 cleaning.
  • lizalloareds
    lizalloareds Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    spends today

£4.27 Ald*
    £1.27 Mr T
    £2.03 fruit barra
    sig updated
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks lb, i havent thought of this! So do you just take out of the freezer and defrost as and when you need them, then chuck into the recipe? I like that idea! Do they remain firm?

I do this too you get a good stash up in the freezer i have even done a three bean salad mix as well its a good staple to have in
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • Hugs to Billie-jo.

NSD for me, back on the freezer soup for lunch at work. Spring didn't last long! Aah well, there was me thinking I was going to have to buy loads of salad!

Got my first AF order yesterday (dumped on my doorstep by City Link, without bothering to knock - sigh). I got the Appletise too, and some Fanta, and mini cupcakes, mostly snacks really and the challenge will be to ration them! I also have 4 jars of chutney and 4 litres of WuL so those savings will take a while to show in the budget, I might have to cheat a little and pass some of it on to next month's GC.

Veggie burgers in ciabatta rolls for dinner, with potato salad, yum.

Hope everyone is having a good evening!
  • longbowgilly
    longbowgilly Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I must get into saving money of groceries, we are dreadful, we have cupboards full of food then eat out or get take away and end up chucking stuff out. I guess it's because after we get home from work we just want a quick dinner.
    I am going to go through the cupboards at the weekend and will chuck out the out of date stuff (there will be some!) then I will get some storecupboard things like spices, barley etc so I can add them to curries and stews, I want to get into using my new multi cooker so I can batch cook and freeze it so at least it won't go to waste, and of course it will just need reheating so it will be fast!:D
    Trying to be debt free by the end of 2016 :j
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    storytime wrote: »
    Hi spends at Lidl £29.89 and Mr T £17.17 which included toiletries for holiday. I noticed Mr T was selling Yorkshire tea bags 80 for £2.00 but Iceland had 160 for £2.50 so I shall be stocking up at Iceland. I made bean burgers today but DH wasn't keen so I will have to try another recipe. I'm determined to cut down on meat.Sig updated.

This is the recipe that i have used in the past for bean burgers:

http://www.cannedfood.co.uk/recipes.php?recipe=85

If you dont want them spicy, just omit the chilli :) They are yummy!
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Tonight's tea was asparagus carbonara - first time i've made it and it was lovely. Was missing something though, bit too bland

Have done something similar in the past (more a mix of this and asparagus risotto) and added some smoked chopped bacon which gives it a bit more depth or maybe smoked sausage, chorizo or similar.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    I must get into saving money of groceries, we are dreadful, we have cupboards full of food then eat out or get take away and end up chucking stuff out. I guess it's because after we get home from work we just want a quick dinner.
    I am going to go through the cupboards at the weekend and will chuck out the out of date stuff (there will be some!) then I will get some storecupboard things like spices, barley etc so I can add them to curries and stews, I want to get into using my new multi cooker so I can batch cook and freeze it so at least it won't go to waste, and of course it will just need reheating so it will be fast!:D

Nooo, dont throw anything away! :D
    OOD (Out Of Date) tinned foods are still perfectly edible unless its tinned meat/fish.
  • becsxxx
    becsxxx Posts: 802 Forumite
    liz-paul wrote: »
    Just in case anyone wants to know - I made the no bake key lime pie from the recipe index last month. Made 2 and froze one to see if it worked. It works great! You can defrost it and eat it, eat it still frozen and best of all you can slice it while frozen and just defrost a slice at a time.

Thanks liz-paul - that's my recipe but I never thought of doing that - you learn something every day on MSE
  • Cekaelta
    Cekaelta Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Had our first proper shop of the month-a delivery from Ts that came in at £41.53. We had a £20 off voucher though so it would have been over £60-I used the voucher to make sure we stocked up on some cupboard stuff-bulk rice, some spices & some meat for the freezer. Should just need to top up bread, milk & a bit of fruit and veg next week, so hopefully no more proper sm shops til near the end of the month.

Had a creamy mushroom & sweetcorn pasta bake for dinner with loads left over-should give us lunch each for the rest of the week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure