Coming back from living abroad and wanting to apply for a rewards credit card

Hi all.

So recently I've returned to the UK (I'm a UK citizen) after living and working off and on in Spain for the past six years (I was a resident for tax purposes there).

In September I will be doing a master's course here and will be paying my tuition fees with cash (not a loan) and thought it would make sense to pay for as much as possible with a credit card that gives me some form of bonus for spending with them. However, most companies require you to have been living in the UK for the past 12 months or they do not have an international option in the "previous addresses" part of the application.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do? The university requires card payments be Visa or Mastercard (not American Express).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Use an eligibility checker to see what you might stand a chance of getting.

You're probably going to be very limited on choice and unlikely to get a prime card with rewards.
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Do you have a bank account in UK or Spain maybe a credit card from them.
  • gionnetto
    gionnetto Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    swheee wrote: »
    Hi all.

So recently I've returned to the UK (I'm a UK citizen) after living and working off and on in Spain for the past six years (I was a resident for tax purposes there).

In the first 6 months, you won't be allowed to apply for credit cards for UK residents, as you need 183 days of residence before applying.

You can try to get a card for non-residents though. If I am not mistaken NatWest has a card like that.
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
    :eek:.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport