8.1% annualy over the next five years?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Personal view is that this level of growth will somewhat challenging to achieve.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,494
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    At the ?end? of this bull run it seems just a bit optimistic. Unless QE and artificial low interest rates go on forever.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Jack Bogle of Vanguard fame is predicting low single digit growth for the foreseeable future, 4% average over the next decade.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,794
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    lots of questions if we are anywhere near the end of a bull run. Europe could continue to grow at its slow and steady pace. Uk might be massively undervalued. EM has been rubbish for years but might pick up. The US is nearest to the end (if there is an end). Who can say. I always expect an 8%+ growth rate regardless. Glass half full and all that.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't blame the author of the article who is just publishing the results of a survey. Because the survey of 1,000 UK investors found that they expect these sort of returns means nothing, as I'm sure their expectations are influenced by returns over the last 10 years. I certainly don't expect these sort of returns over the next 5 years.
  • Was it simply 'what percentage return do you expect'? Or 'If you invest £10,000.00 today what do you expect it to be worth in 5 years?'. Are these people actually active investors?
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,446
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Prism wrote: »
    lots of questions if we are anywhere near the end of a bull run. Europe could continue to grow at its slow and steady pace. Uk might be massively undervalued. EM has been rubbish for years but might pick up. The US is nearest to the end (if there is an end). Who can say. I always expect an 8%+ growth rate regardless. Glass half full and all that.

Well my glass has been more than half full till quite recently, I suspect someone is drinking my pint.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,045
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Personal view is that this level of growth will somewhat challenging to achieve.

I agree, many markets are currently overheated IMO and there are upcoming challenges for many economies.

If you went in some time ago, it’s possible to average that on existing investments IMO, but US is likely to be affected by tariffs, UK by Brexit and potentially EU by both plus liquidity issues in at least 2 countries.

Interesting times ahead......
    💙💛 💔
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,574
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Jack Bogle of Vanguard fame is predicting low single digit growth for the foreseeable future, 4% average over the next decade.
    He predicted 4% after inflation, around 6% in nominal terms.
    poppy10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport