Days trips from New York recommendations please

Hi, I!!!8217;ll be going to NY for 7 nights in June.

I!!!8217;ve been before (pre 9/11 so a long time ago) and did a day trip to Washington which I found incredibly boring.

This time I!!!8217;d like to do a day trip and would like recommendations. Yes, there!!!8217;s lots on google but I!!!8217;d like to hear from someone who has actually been.

I!!!8217;m thinking of Philadelphia (specifically the rocky steps) but what else is there to do in Philly?
Also, I!!!8217;d like to explore coney island whilst there, I!!!8217;m not a beach type person so think a whole day would be too much, would half a day be enough?

Comments

• If shopping is your thing this may be Ok http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/woodbury-common. You get the bus from the Port Authority building. The train will take you to Boston in 3 hours, about the same as to Washington so that may be a possibility
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There's a New York Thread for questions such as these.;)
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What did you find boring about Washington? I love it, prefer it to New York City.

Ditto for Boston.
  • What did you find boring about Washington? I love it, prefer it to New York City.

Ditto for Boston.

I'm another one for Washington over NY
  • AubreyMac wrote: »
    Hi, I'll be going to NY for 7 nights in June.

I've been before (pre 9/11 so a long time ago) and did a day trip to Washington which I found incredibly boring.

Why was it boring? What do you enjoy? It's hard to recommend things without know what you like. Personally I think DC was better than NYC.
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    I'm thinking of Philadelphia (specifically the rocky steps) but what else is there to do in Philly?

Liberty bell is in Philly as well as Independence Hall (where the signing of the declaration of independence took place).
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to explore coney island whilst there, I'm not a beach type person so think a whole day would be too much, would half a day be enough?

Coney Island is just one big amusement park. There is a nice aquarium there. We spent most of the day there. 2-3 hours in the Aquarium and an hour walking the beach. The subway journey there was around an hour from Queens Blvd.

If you've not been to the Bronx, the zoo there is very good as are the Cloisters.

In terms of possible day trips outside of New York here's the first article on google: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/travel/day-trips-from-nyc-to-beaches-parks-wineries-and-more
  • zaffi
    zaffi Posts: 274 Forumite
    i've travelled quite a bit to Philly for work in the last 18 months and it's a beautiful city and would work really well for a day trip. It's a very accessible city, great for just wandering around.

If you're into history you would love Old City, wall to wall early American history with the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Ben Franklin Museum and Elfreth's Alley amongst many others.

I'd definitely think about Eastern State Penitentiary for a visit (Al Capone was a resident) and as you mentioned the Rocky Steps.

There is a seasonal tourist bus called the "philly phlash" that costs $5 for the day and works as a hop on hop off running from Old City up to Eastern State and back via the Rocky Steps.

Another (final!) thing to maybe check out is the Magic Gardens on South Street, pretty cool sculptured garden but does tend to get busy and is ticketed

For food, head to Reading Terminal Market in Center City, Dinic's Roast Pork sandwich is a thing of beauty.

Writing this is getting me excited for my own holiday in a few weeks, doing Brooklyn to Philly to Baltimore and flying home from DC.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    What did you find boring about Washington? I love it, prefer it to New York City.

Ditto for Boston.
    Personally I think DC was better than NYC.
    I agree with all the above
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If shopping is your thing this may be Ok http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/woodbury-common. You get the bus from the Port Authority building. The train will take you to Boston in 3 hours, about the same as to Washington so that may be a possibility

I wouldn't do either DC or Boston as a day trip as both are worth an overnight stay. Try to do them in a day and you'll just spend 6-7 hours travelling and clock watching while you are there.

It would be like stopping in London and doing a day trip to Liverpool: possible but not the best use of your time.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I'd return to DC tomorrow if the opportunity arose - and I'd be happy not to return to NY again :beer:
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Niagara Falls are only an hours flight away. Good for a day out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure