Housing benefit on SSP

Options
I work full time on a salary of £16500. I’m a lone parent with 1 child aged 5. I’ve been signed off work due to hyperemesis, my work don’t pay sick pay until you’ve been here for 6 months and so I’ll be put on SSP instead. We receive tax credits at the moment but no housing or council tax support.

Does anybody know what the process is for applying for housing benefit when on ssp? I don’t have any wage slips until I’m paid, and while my weekly wage has dropped there’s bits of the month I’ve worked and so will be paid normally, I’m not sure how I work my wage out with this in mind. Or do I wait until I am paid and therefore know what that month’s income is?

I’ve already been off for 2 weeks, and have just been signed off for 4 more. I’m praying to be able to go back after that, but am worried about the income drop in the meantime as I’m essentially losing 2/3rds of my wage while off ill. Our housing benefit office don’t speak to you, instead directing you to their computers to apply. I’m not sure where to go for advice and information about the process.

Thank you

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 April 2018 at 9:37AM
    Options
    You may be eligible for help with your rent and maybe council tax.

It is probably best to wait until you get your pay slip.

It is also possible that you might have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit depending on the area you are in.

Check about Universal Credit here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/Check-if-youre-eligible-for-Universal-Credit/

Edit:
    Apologies. I had forgotten that HB is not now automatically backdated for one month. In view of this should apply today. Send in whatever evidence they need re wage slips and then do a change of circumstances and send in your next month's pay slip. They will then readjust. It will mean that you may not have enough for your rent so the other advice still stands. If you have not claimed HB for the last 52 weeks and could afford your rent when you began you tenancy then they should base your eligibility on your current rent rather than the LHA rates. You may have to ask for this 13 week protection period. You can ask for backdating giving a good reason. e.g you were too sick to apply?
  • tappyfeet92
    Options
    Thank you. We!!!8217;re not a universal credit area yet thankfully! Would I need to backdate to the weeks of sickness, or would it go payslip to payslip? I!!!8217;ve only ever claimed it when either on weekly pay or benefits before now so I!!!8217;m a bit lost with monthly wages!
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Councils vary but usually you have to provide the last two/three payslips. The online form should tell you what evidence you need to give.

It is a difficult situation in your circumstances as you won't get your pay slips showing all your SSP in one go?

So, once you have your pay slips showing your reduced income then you report this as a change of circumstances and the HB will be backdated to cover this period.

All a bit messy I'm afraid.

So, it might be sensible to inform your landlord if you are going to have a shortfall for a short time or borrow from family /friends to pay the rent.
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    Housing Benefit will only start from the following Monday after you claim.

You will need to show good cause for backdating. It isn't automatic.

The longer you don't apply the later your claim will start.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I believe you can lodge a claim, and then have one month to follow up with documentation such as wage slips, etc.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Have edited my post.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 April 2018 at 2:27PM
    Options
    Your can do an advance claim for HB

From the Shelter book
    • up to 13 weeks before an event which makes them entitled to HB
    So get the claim in now - tell them the date you will go onto SSP and they will use this date.

Provided the LA with ID's, proof of address, national Insurance number, capital now and then drip feed in 5 weeks wages or 2 months as and when received

link

• You can claim up to 13 weeks in advance (17 weeks if you're aged 60 or over). Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to get your housing benefit claim backdated
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts