Next recession, trade wars, up to 50% portfolio losses

Comments

• yes i am.
    my shares have plummeted even with the correction.
    i will hold off and invest after the market crash.
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd say apprehensive, rather than worried. but not going to run for the hills just yet...
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    yes i am.
    Wasn't it that they plummeted * because of * a correction bringing them down to a more reasonable level?
    Good luck with the strategy.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes and no.
    I'm not worried at all from an investment point of view. I take a long term and aggressive approach so expect a good few bumps in the road. If you're truly worried then you're making the wrong investment choices IMO.

On the other hand I would be slightly worried about my job if we went into full on melt down. I work in a finance driven industry which goes through periods of boom and bust and as such times do get much harder when we are in recession. That's not to say I'd be out of a job, although it is a possibility, just that life generally becomes more unpleasant.
  • Mothman
    Mothman Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Had planned on taking early retirement in a couple of years time, a correction of up to 20% won't change that but a more significant fall would probably mean an extra couple of years at the coalface, depending of course on the speed of the recovery.

Whatever happens I plan to keep piling in the monthly contributions regardless.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Investing has always had it's ups and downs. Even without a reccession. There's plenty of UK companies issuing profit warnings. Also some far from being in the best of financial health. Portfolio's don't need to lose 50% to underperform.
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Type_45 wrote: »
    Anyone concerned?

Nope. A crash is the time to buy.

Buying when the prices recover (assuming that a crash is even imminent) hardly seems like a sensible idea.
  • Credit-Crunched
    Credit-Crunched Posts: 2,212 Forumite
    yes i am.

Please can you let me know when that is!

Remember Time in the Markets not Timing the Markets!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Gadfium wrote: »
    Nope. A crash is the time to buy.

Buying when the prices recover (assuming that a crash is even imminent) hardly seems like a sensible idea.
    Since most people on this forum base their investment decisions on cliches, remember don't try to catch a falling knife!
  • I am concerned, I have been putting more and more cash in as the market has been falling. I am running out of cash to invest and worried we haven't hit the bottom yet. Tomorrow will be the last day to finish my ISA allowance off and I will likely use it.
    I always get myself into a bit of a sweat during the falls, but I always hold on too. I am in no rush for the money anytime soon, so I have the benefit of time to wait for a recovery. It just sucks seeing it fall from such a high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure