10kWh storage £3.5k

Been playing with building a solar store from recycled laptop batteries it's sat at 2.5 kWh but slow going

May have found a short cut 10kWh of batteries from a crashed EV

Worked out can get the batteries which have already been reconfigured for powerwall use. A charger/inverter which will ac charge leaving current grid tie alone. And the correct battery monitor for just understand 3.5k

Also have the option later additional panels to the new second inverter

Spoken to my electrician he sees no problems installing the second inverter off grid and isolating it.

Not that we get many power outages but gives the home ups style back up and could even go economy 7 in winter if moving over is still allowed charge at night use during the day

Technical issues aside I work in a large data center so see this style of set up Daly is 3.5 k a good price for 10kWh of storage. Trying to figure out how long payback would be

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2018 at 4:13PM
    ard123en wrote: »
    Been playing with building a solar store from recycled laptop batteries it's sat at 2.5 kWh but slow going

May have found a short cut 10kWh of batteries from a crashed EV

Worked out can get the batteries which have already been reconfigured for powerwall use. A charger/inverter which will ac charge leaving current grid tie alone. And the correct battery monitor for just understand 3.5k

Also have the option later additional panels to the new second inverter

Spoken to my electrician he sees no problems installing the second inverter off grid and isolating it.

Not that we get many power outages but gives the home ups style back up and could even go economy 7 in winter if moving over is still allowed charge at night use during the day

Technical issues aside I work in a large data center so see this style of set up Daly is 3.5 k a good price for 10kWh of storage. Trying to figure out how long payback would be
    Hi

£3.5k is pretty steep for a DIY battery system, especially if the going is slow .... at £350/kWh it's not too far off the cost of a Powerwall2 (in £/kWh terms), by the time you've finished the build you'd probably find that you could pick up an off-the-shelf new unit for the same price.

There's loads of people waiting for the prices to fall, it's likely that the market will start moving at somewhere around £150/kWh installed, so a while yet .. at £3.5k for a DIY attempt, I'd be tempted to wait

Anyway, do you really need 10kWh whilst battery prices are so high? ... I know it's a 'round figure' but maybe something smaller would fit on an interim basis with an option to expand as storage prices fall. Here's a short article suggesting that the ...
    Tesla Powerwall 2 is oversized ... for most UK homes if energy efficiency has already been addressed ...
    ... a 14kWh Powerwall 2 simply provides unnecessary capacity. In summer a 14kWh system would almost exclusively operate in the 80%-100% capacity band and in the winter in a band between 0% & 30%. This effectively describes a solution which is over specified for energy efficient domestic properties, the very properties in which early adopters are likely to form a significant customer base ...
    ... but it all really depends on what you're trying to achieve ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • ard123en
    ard123en Posts: 265 Forumite
    Thanks what I liked about this solution was the option to add panels later in the year increase winter production

The batteries were 2k of the set up will keep looking and stock pilling my free 18650s
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    Also, you can't put a price on the value of a 'project'. I for one would get a lot out of the process itself.

Paying more for the sake of having fun with a project is the engineers curse! :rotfl:
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Also, you can't put a price on the value of a 'project'. I for one would get a lot out of the process itself.

Paying more for the sake of having fun with a project is the engineers curse! :rotfl:
    Hi

Possibly, but most 'projects' I've ever started were based on the premise that I could probably do at least as good & deliver much cheaper ....

I'd consider £350/kWh as being pretty steep considering the availability of alternatives ... the list price of a 14kWh Powerwall2 in the US is $5500, so around £280/kWh based on released pricing from around this time last year ....

Looking at the price difference between Tesla standard & extended range trucks gives an idea of where bulk battery prices could be within a couple of years, which looks to be well below the long-standing prediction of sub-$100/kWh batteries by 2020 ...

With the rate of predicted battery cost reductions over the coming period, if I was looking at building a 'cheap' battery pack, I'd be shelving the project for a couple of years and 'invest' my time & capital into looking at another project instead ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • ard123en
    I'm not sure 10kWh is that oversized over on second Life storage there is a guy in Sweden with 100kWh :eek:

Stores as much as he can during summer like a squirrel gathering nuts for winter manages to be completely off grid for 10 months a year
  • ard123en
    Scrap this idea just scored in excess of 100 new old stock laptop cells with 6 X 2600 mAh cells

Have a 3d printer for making cell holders and spot welder plan 14s40p DIY battery total cost £200 max

Have a 10A 48v charger and a 300W inverter but will require some manual intervention at first
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ard123en wrote: »
    Scrap this idea just scored in excess of 100 new old stock laptop cells with 6 X 2600 mAh cells

Have a 3d printer for making cell holders and spot welder plan 14s40p DIY battery total cost £200 max

Have a 10A 48v charger and a 300W inverter but will require some manual intervention at first

You are either mad, or inspirational - but either way I find all this fascinating.

Fancy seeing a home built 20kWh batt made from Leaf bits? Check out @offpist's posts from 17/8/14.

5875Wp installation in Norway.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ard123en
    I've never been called sane
  • ard123en
    quick update for anyone who is interested its slow going but have managed to capacity test about 200 18650s which are over 2200mAh have 3D printed some holders which will hold 24 in small blocks.

will fuse then individually in the same way that tesla do theirs have a spot welder for this task

This will works out about 2.5kWh of storage from laptop batteries that were probably going to landfill
  • ard123en
    quick update on the project

spend so far is £1300 which includes a storage inverter and some current detection device to I can detect when to charge and discharge batteries.

have an electrician coming over in next week to connect the inverter/charger to the house

hoping to come in just under £2K for the system can add in 2kWh blocks very cheaply after that as the battery management I've picked is scalable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure