ASD and Appointee

Options

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    You need to speak to Social Services again. If your mum's told them everything's fine and you can go home then they may have closed the file. It's why getting a referral from your GP would help.

Where you live is important because it could mean switching from ESA to universal credit, it looks like this is the case in Wolverhampton. It's also important to know how old you are because there are different rules for under 35s.

If you lived in a private rented place you'd probably have to pay something towards your rent, and maybe towards council tax.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    Is there any advice in regards to collecting my belongings? My younger sister has brought me a few things, but I want to know about other possession within what was my home.

I've sent text to both my mother and my elder sister (she is in support of my mother) asking for an appropriate opportunity to collect my things, but so far my texts have been ignored.

Do I contact Social Services now through their emergency number, or shall I wait until the morning and use the number I've been using over the past two days?
  • Ames
    Options
    It's not an emergency, so wait until morning. Could you put them on speakerphone (with their permission) so your gran can listen in in case you get muddled?

Try and make a list of things you need to talk about, and if you can, make a note of their answers.

You need to make it clear to them that you're a vulnerable person, that you have no home, and due to financial abuse no money or means of accessing it.
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    For most of the conversations my nan has been present whilst listing on speaker, but I've also asked them to repeat what they said to me, to her.

I should add that my Nan is nearly 82 years old widow (recent), and it isn't fair for this stress be put on her. If I were to push for supported/independent living services, what would be the rough timeline for the process?
  • Ames
    Options
    For most of the conversations my nan has been present whilst listing on speaker, but I've also asked them to repeat what they said to me, to her.

I should add that my Nan is nearly 82 years old widow (recent), and it isn't fair for this stress be put on her. If I were to push for supported/independent living services, what would be the rough timeline for the process?

I honestly don't know.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am sorry this is happening to you.

You are right it is not fair on your Nan, she needs to make this clear to the social workers that you cannot stay with her for long and you need to make it clear that you can't go back to your Mums house.

By your Nan saying you can't stay with her you both need to understand this is not because she doesn't care or doesn't want to help, its so you can get the right help and support you need from the social workers to live independently. Whilst there is someone else willing to help (your Mum or Nan) they will try not to get involved. You/your Nan need to make them understand that living with your Mum or Nan not an option.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should be prioritised for a Place in a house because you don’t have a home but there needs to be a house for you to go to so it depends on your areas waiting lists, social services will know what the lists are like and how quickly people can be placed.

In regard to PIP, living alone won’t affect PIP. It’s about the care you need not the care you get. Sheltered/supported housing will require an adult assessment by social work so you may end up with support to do things anyway. Don’t fall into the “learned helplessness” trap, just because my aunt I mentioned above completed one of these courses and can now make tea and toast the pip police didn’t swoop in and take her award away. The services are for support.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk

Put some figures into this website - don’t worry it’s not an application or anything but it will give you an idea of what money you could be getting if you move out. With a social services care package in place someone can support you in keeping inside a budget so your gas, electric, rent and food bills are paid.
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    If you are looking at the supporting living side of things you will need to be assessed by social services, I think either the vulnerable adults team or the ASD team. You will be allocated a social worker or a community care officer, they will sit down with you and your Nan and highlight any vulnerabilities. They will decide on what housing needs you have and how many hours support you need a day/week. They will then go to something called a Panel and this is for funding to pay for support needs. They have supported living coordinators and they will look for a property for you to move too.

I live in supported living in Nottinghamshire. The company I live with has shared properties and bungalows on complexes with staff. We are allocated a set amount of hours a week plus here we have a night staff sleeping in. I prefer living in a shared house because there are always people around me. I like the mix off staff and the support is good. One of my house mates has Aspergers and only gets 8 hours a week support. Like me he's still entitled to PIP and living in a supported living setting has more of an impact within ESA/PIP assessments as you differently need support.

It took me about 9 months to be moved here, I was under section in hospital for that 9 months. Because you have to be suited to you property and the needs of other residents so it can take awhile to be house, I know here its hard but its even harder to be placed in a single dwelling as they are high in demand. I think if you have vulnerabilities it is easier to be accepted for support/housing then people with psychical disabilities as the criteria is harder to meet for them. You need to tell social services you want to move and they will assess you.
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with supported living. It is definitely an option I'm considering, and will hopefully get more information from social services.

I sent my mom this text this morning:

Is what you told <sister> last night, definitive? If so, I'll need confirmation so I can recontact Social Services and tell them there has been a change in circumstances since yesterday afternoon.

To which she replied:

I understood you were taking a few days which I think is very wise considering. your feelings towards me perhaps negotiate through social services after Christmas what is best for everyone. Please don't text further if you need anything <sister> is the person to speak to.

During this lunch time, I decided to enquire with social services how long it would take to be allocated a social worker. They weren't able to give me any information, but I did update them on the situation. I'm currently waiting for a call back, but with it being this close to Christmas I doubt I'll hear anything back until Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • Ames
    Options
    How are things now, MyLonelyWorld? Have you had more contact with social services?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure