The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Good Evening :hello:

I don't know if I have much to report in MS terms at the moment.

I did stick to my 'notional' theme of 'soup on a Tuesday' with ingredients for Bean Soup finding themselves in my fridge and freezer :D I did improvise a bit with the veg, using a courgette and green beans that I had been gifted by the gardening parental, using a sweet potato from the YS'd M&$ ones and using haricot beans out of the freezer, in place of the cannellini beans in the recipe, but apart from that........ :rotfl:I didn't make scones or flatbreads to go with, as it usually is quite a robust soup. Tonight's version was no exception. Good job it is pelting with rain outside and it proved real summer fodder........ :rotfl:

35731172461_3edaf9f7fb_z.jpg011 by Greying Pilgrim, on Flickr

I'm trying to be mindful with my purchases still; fresh fruit and nuts being the only food purchases of the day :D We had fish, chips and mushy peas last night, a) because the weather was pants enough to have the oven on, and b) I ran out of energy and inspiration. Thank goodness it was all sat there in the freezer/storecupboard really.......

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

people who are kind and happy, despite going through the mire themselves

that it didn't matter I got soaked whilst out and about (BG stayed dry :D)

that i was able to submit my meter readings in one go :j - usually takes a protracted 'chat' with an advisor to get them registered :(

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in. Hopefully I'll have summat more interesting to report, next time.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    All sounding rather splendiferous on here. Waves to all. And dusting, surely not. Loving the gratitude as always GP.

XOXO
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Good Morning :hello:

Bit of a late duck in from me this morn, but we've breakfasted, showered, clothed, prepped snap, delivered bestest birthday wishes to a special friend of BG's, and even found time to drink a cup of coffee and make some avocado toast with the last of the organick avocados :j I won't be buying any more of those for a while, the same batch is still in the grocers, and I had to compost one this morning, as it had quietly gone dark brown inside :( 33p wasted :( Not too sure if I could have caught it before it went - it seemed pretty firm up to yesterday.

I've library books to return today - in time, so no fines :j I need to pick up the TV guide (I forgot yesterday, in my 'rush' to get out of the torrential rain.....) and one or two bits and pieces for the storecupboard. I've not decided what is for 'us tea' yet, as I was pondering what the weather was actually going to do. Looks as though we are set fair for the day. Still have no more clue what I'm gonna make mind..... :rotfl:

I've slipped momentum with my THT challenge, but will re-visit today. I've still achieved quite a bit, but I think we're beginning to encounter the tasks that are going to necessitate disruption to the household, so that is possibly why I've slowed down.

I noticed that tofu (cold-ron-foods brand) in mrW had increased in price by 52p, the other day. 52p!!!! :eek: In one fell swoop! Which means that mrA and mrM (currently on special offer) are the cheapest sources at present. It also means that my reasons to darken the doors of our local mrW are decreasing all the time...... I did have a little chuckle to myself, however, as our local branch have now a dedicated RTC section - although they don't call it anything as 'pedestrian' as that - theirs is a 'specially priced items' area. It doesn't seem to be making much difference, as stuff still inna shifting........

Right, best shift a tail-feather and get on with stuff, rather than nattering about it!

Ta for popping in, appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Good Morning :hello:

Friday again. Gosh. Time is whizzing. I'm already half way through my THT :eek:

Tea last night was a 'made up' dish, a summer version of my winter 'morrocan stew'. So instead of pumpkin/sweet potato, I used courgette. Thankfully the weather played ball, and it was just the weather for stew. It was a mix of veg, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, courgettes, tinned tomatoes, veg stock and ras-el-hanout spice (which I made up from my whole spices). Served with brown basmati (fancied that over cous cous or bulghar), and broccoli. Picture;

35913006315_d54c9c5e0a_z.jpg007 by Greying Pilgrim, on Flickr

Tea tonight will hopefully be pizza (black olive, most likely) and possibly oven chips.

I forgot to mention, I finally got around to getting Bernadine Lawrence's book - Feed your family for £5 a day - out of the library recently. I don't think that I have ever read it before - partly put off by having to pay 60p - or whatever the charge is/was - to get hold of it. Seemed to go against the grain of a budget cookbook somewhat. Whilst I did only discover 1 recipe that I want to try out myself, I was struck by how 'good' the book was as a starter cookbook for a first-time householder, a student, or someone that wanted to start to learn to cook from scratch. In 'poncy' cookery books, you never get recipes for basic pastry, crumble or basic bread. This book has everything you could need (maybe it is a bit light - understandably - for special dietary needs), as well as frugal/budgetary hints and tips. All contained in one book. I was well impressed. I was more impressed with that than I was with the 're-print' of the Caroline Conran & Susan Campbell 'Poor Cook' from the 1970's. Some of the recipes seemed familiar, so I don't know if my mother ever-tried any of them, but I don't think it has stood the test of time well. Whilst I aplaud recipes for offal, or game I just didn't really think that we need to have recipes that cook cabbage soup for 2.5 hours anymore...... Totally willing to accept that my opinion is wrong, and it is pivotal to the taste & texture of the dish, but I still ain't gonna be trying it out, anytime soon........ :rotfl:

I was saddened to see a virtually unopened copy of Jack Monroe's 'A Girl Called Jack' in a chazza. If the copies weren't untouched in our local libraries, I would have bought it and donated it to the library services. Folk are missing out on some good, low-priced nosh! Still, you can only lead horses to water......

I've got to trundle over to mrA today to pick up something for BG and only they stock it locally. still, I'll grab some exercise too.

Actually, I best start shifting a tail-feather, time-is-a-ticking, and I've not achieved overly much this morn.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I made soup today. Potato, courgette and turnip soup. It was yum.

That is all. As you were.
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fainting-smiley.gif?1292867591
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Smilie is so impressed he's fainted tounge-smiley.gif?1292867691
  • I made soup today. Potato, courgette and turnip soup. It was yum.

That is all. As you were.

That, my darling, is super-fab.

I've some $h1t going down in RL, so please forgive my absence.

But HM soup making, with YUM results..... :T:T:T:T:T

X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I hope that the nasty fan hitting stuff is resolved to your satisfaction asap.
    X
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Take care of you GP. Xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure