PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( Interesting that the NHS is using XP.

The banking system across the world uses a version of XP in its ATMs and shops use it in tills. I'm talking millions of machines. I'm using XP and my computer's registry has had one digit changed so that Microsarf thinks my home PC is actually a point-of-sale machine, eg a till or ATM.

This is a workaround which gets XP supported by MS as they are still supporting the point-of-sale machines for several years. It was fascinating when my pooter wizard changed the digit and suddenly a backlog of several dozen upgrades came down the wire.

System updated itself with 9 yesterday morning.......... quite a download. But I've known organisations using a newer, supported Windoze version who have had ransomware earlier this year and it's a bliddy nuisance.

One organisation I know IRL took nearly 24 hours of solid IT work to get back in control of its own systems, including computerised telephony.

Always have cash, lovely peeps, in case the banking system goes down and you're left waving your contactless debit cards against dead sensors.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GreyQueen wrote: »

Always have cash, lovely peeps, in case the banking system goes down and you're left waving your contactless debit cards against dead sensors.

...... and hard copies of your important docs, not just stored on a flash drive!
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    (Most govt depts use variants of XP AFAIK)
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Isn't it stupid that the government are pushing and pushing to build millions (literally) of new houses, building on allotments and country fields and innercity and backyard sites indiscriminately and insisting that we need these new homes because there aren't enough houses in existence now BUT who is going to be able to afford to buy them? in a very uncertain future with Brexit looming on the close horizon and job cuts, wage freezes and council spending being curtailed who is going to maintain the infrastructure we have in existence now let along put in the extras that we WILL need if all these new homes are built? It makes NO sense whatsoever to me, could someone please explain the thinking behind it?

It makes no sense because it is nonsense

The present government is hell bent on destroying social housing - next April will see new cuts to housing benefit for anyone (including Pensioners) who has taken a new social housing tenancy after April 2016 as Housing Benefit will be replaced by the fixed rate Local Housing Allowance - if you are under 35, single and have taken a tenancy after April 2016 - you will only qualify for the single room rate (currently £53.50 in our area). Under 25's will no longer automatically qualify for any kind of Housing Benefit if they aren't deemed to fit the vulnerability criteria

In the view of the conservative government, people in Social Housing have had it to good for too long so the Government are pushing hard to force people to either buy, rent from a private landlord,or rent a room in a 'house of multiple occupation' or stay with family.

Housing Associations are now legally obliged to sell houses to tenants at a discount which can be as high as 50% - so, anyone who can, is buying their social housing property on the 'right-to-buy' scheme. The knock on effect of the right to buy scheme is that if a Housing Associations stock of houses falls too low, they lose the funding to help them to build new homes...so there will less and less social housing available and what there is will be more and more unaffordable to families on benefits

I suspect that its part of a cunning plan to divide the country into two classes (The Rich & The Poor)....the poor won't be able to make any protest or question the bigger issues because they will be kept far too busy trying to satisfy the job seeking requirements of the Universal Credit to keep their benefit in payment.

..............I'll get off me soapbox and get me coat (and I won't be voting conservative in the General Election)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( What she said.

TPTB have long been hostile to council housing as it gives the poorest a measure of security in an insecure world. They've chopped the qualifying years before you can exercise RTB from five to three, upped the discount, and are doing mail-outs to drum up more RTB applications.

No end of ex council houses and flats here are presently part of the BTL property portfolios of professionals like doctors and lawyers - a public asset becomes private property in time, very conservative.

The poor get scr*wed yet again.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 May 2017 at 9:59PM
    It's an interesting old life isn't it? why oh why do these things only happen when He Who Knows is visiting one of the daughters? Why couldn't the fates decree that these things sometimes happen when I'm NOT on my own? Thank God for you lot who keep me sane (allegedly) when things are at their lowest point and certainly keep me floating when the world does something crazy. Valid point in these ramblings is that 'our' little prepping world is a very useful tool and support system in adverse situations and the pooled knowledge we share might be one day all there is so keep posting folks, as long as we've t'interweb we'll be able to cope!

The newsfeed is currently saying 74 countries have been the victim of the ransomware cyber attack using a stolen NASA tool, someone somewhere is going to spend an awful lot of time on the 'naughty step' if TPTB can find who they are and catch up with them! Ooops!!!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    And....... ebola is back.
  • But Zika is gone!!!
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    my vegetable cupboard is filling up nicely, isnt it funny that labour is offering all these goodies more houses free car parking hospitals, higher minimum wage , that would benefit 90 % of the population , have turkeys been brainwashed to vote for xmas.. ? i understand the tory counter arguement ....we would end up like greece drowning in public debt etc why are people not expected to vote in their self interest.... im a little towards labour but generally im the opinion whoever you vote for you get the government .... i suppose some people are of the opinion that as long as the country is in safe hands...their happy zero hours contracts and underfunded health service and sky high rents.....oh well onwards and upwards

• Housing Benefit will be replaced by the fixed rate Local Housing Allowance - if you are under 35, single and have taken a tenancy after April 2016 - you will only qualify for the single room rate (currently £53.50 in our area). The knock on effect of the right to buy scheme is that if a Housing Associations stock of houses falls too low, they lose the funding to help them to build new homes...so there will less and less social housing available and what there is will be more and more unaffordable to families on benefits

....and more and more unaffordable to single people on benefits as well.

Re the lower rate of housing benefit for those under 35 = I've long since thought that means people arent being regarded as fully-fledged adults until they get to 35 and it's ridiculous to have to wait that long before it's fully accepted one has reached adult age. All the more so when one bears in mind that people were basically treated as adult at around 14/15 years of age in earlier centuries and were sometimes even working at primary school age. So for the 21st century to not regard people as full adults until they are 35 is:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure