PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Both items returned to c/shop - paid cash but not allowed refund - 3 month credit note received.

In fairness, I guess the credit note takes up far less room than the items, so it's a kondo win despite being a financially-neutral move!

It's also a shop I pass at least three times a week so is handy for a mooch when I have a spare quarter hour.

Warm wishes to all fellow kondo fans and hugs to those feeling poorly, hope things improve soon.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Today I have made some decisions about domestic things that were being pondered over. Nothing major but it is good to get the pondering over with!
    So, not getting a new mattress. Have cleaned current one thoroughly (for the record I mixed some washing powder with hot water and sponged the mattress cover down), and have ordered both a mattress topper and a mattress protector (a thin, washable one that goes on like a sheet). I reckon that will be a good combo and is a lot cheaper than a new mattress
    :D :money:

While cleaning I stumbled on a rather nice Denby pot that I have had for years. I like it but have NEVER used it. I picked it out of the cupboard, again, and this time I had a firm word with myself because I will never use it!
    In the past I have thought I could put a nice present in it but I haven't, have I?! So it is in the charity bag, with another nightie I also realised I never wear......, a pretty tin that, er, I was going to use for putting edible presents in but never have!
    (theme here is that I have kept things that were nice but unused because it seemed wasteful to
    throw them out just because I hadn't used them yet:rotfl:.

Now I know I can thank them for being lovely and release them. :T I am sure they will be snappedup in CS.

feels good, decision Friday. DH better watch out, I 'm on a roll :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2016 at 1:55PM
    GQ - there can't be much left in your flat now!

Karmacat - not long to go now. Having bother with spiders here too. They keep bringing their friends round to play and the faster I chuck 'em out, the faster they bring in reinforcements.

Lilian - categories are best if you can manage it. If not, whichever way gives the most satisfaction/motivation to continue.

Loocyloo - it's so good to be realistic and move things on instead of hanging on in hope that they may be put to better use. The freedom it gives far outweighs anything else as I am finding from my current book Kondoing.

Dragonette - catching up on several days' worth of washing up here and being mindful of pacing so that I'll be able to continue with things tomorrow too. If it doesn't all get done, well it doesn't.

It is difficult to not feel guilty though as there is still a lot of misunderstanding about fatigue around and I've felt very judged at times but at the end of the day, we can only do what we can do. Life is for living as joyfully as possible with the means that we have so I guess what I'm trying to say is try to find something joyful about the resting and then in the catching up as and when you are able.
    Memo to self - keep decluttering, the payback is immense.

Agree wholeheartedly - it may seem to the untrained eye that the time and energy being put into my Kondoing could be better spent elsewhere but I love that feeling of yet another weight being lifted everytime something leaves my overfilled home.

On that note, 5 books left yesterday with their owner, 10 more on CS pile and 2 more ready to go back to their owner. More to sort through over the weekend. Paperwork shredding from loft now all done so now need to clear desk again which has built up a few piles whilst I've been dealing with other things.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi...
    Can I just add my voice to the many who say sort your own stuff out so your family and friends don't have to do it for you? My ex is sorting out his Mum's house and I'm getting messages offering me the stuff we bought her (and his Dad, as very little got sorted after he died.)

The charity shops are benefiting, of course. But boy, it's hard work, both physically and emotionally.

Onwards and upwards.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 August 2016 at 7:55PM
    Short bird, oh how I wish my mum would take that advice. Both my parents have serious health problems now but my mum actually told her friend that she couldn't understand why said friend was clearing out things. My mum rang me to report the event and to inform me that she had advised her friend not to bother because she could leave the job to her kids. I could cry, I really could. The parental home has loads of cupboards, wardrobes and other storage (inc 3 large garages / sheds!), and all areas are Stuffed full of Stuff.

After I got really worked up about how on earth to tackle it when the time comes my DH and my brother both suggested that we simply get someone in to take it / skip it. It is made all the more impossible because we are hundreds of miles away from them and we still work so simply could not spend the necessary time to sort it out ourselves.
    I admit that I sometimes watch the 'flog it' type programmes on tv and I think we may ditch a few things that are unexpectedly valuable but I'd prefer that to going mad! It's such a shame because there because there are plenty of useful things that other folk could use NOW, that never see the
    light of day.

Sorry for moaning, thanks for letting me get it off my chest. I know it sounds callous and selfish, I did try really hard to help them reduce the Stuff, and to get them to move nearer so I could help with much more, but it is not to be. I think my KM friends will understand :(
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MMF007 :eek: :( :shocked: in equal measure.
    A certain amount of stuff went in the year after his dad died but that slowed to a trickle. I know we spent hours on paperwork and I sorted the kitchen and laundry in 2013 when she was in hospital; I found a bottle of window cleaner under the sink that had a cash back offer that expired in 1995...

I got offered 3 vases today but I have one and that is so rarely used it could be kondo'd. Except I do think that someone will buy me flowers this year. If he knows what's good for him...:rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Igamogam wrote: »
    I am assuming you are a childminder........ask the local council if they can archive it. That much paper in your attic is a fire risk if nothing else:eek: Or get it transferred onto digital storage?

YEP! I'm a childminder!
    I wouldn't know where to start with digital storage, plus it's lots of signed contracts/attendance/medical files etc, and I'm sure I was told at some point, that it must be the originals, not copies. I've childminded in a couple of counties, so I doubt my local council would archive it, but I might raise the question of digital storage. Thanks for suggesting it.

plus 6 years worth of tax accounts!

it is all in fireproof storage.
  • MMF, I do sympathise. DD (plus her now-ex OH) did about 16 trips to the skip for me all in one day when I was clearing the parental home. We also filled an entire wheelie bin with clean empty plastic containers which had been stored for Justin. Fortunately the bin men took them, they might not be so lenient these days.

And that was just the tip of the iceberg. It took months, with 2 full days per week attendance from me. :(

Start to finish (ended on completion of sale of property) was about 18 months.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Hi Ladies,
    Welcome to newbies. :beer:

Well we finally exchanged on Monday and we are moving on Thursday!
    Took 2 more dustbin sackfuls to the charity shop on Monday and have been busy packing this week. I'm about 90% done.
    I'm hoping KM will be easier when unpacking because I can find all the boxes of the same type and sort then. It has made me realise how much paperwork I have though. :eek: I'll get there...

Have a good weekend all xx
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 August 2016 at 7:29AM
    :ooceanspirit, my flat is minute, my biggest room by far is the sitting room which is a whopping 9 ft 7 wide x 12 ft 9 long. And one wall of that is taken up with a rad and the sliding door into the kitchen. The bedroom is just about big enough to hold a standard double and a smallish c-of-d and that's it.

I seriously have to shop with a tape measure even for small things, as there will only be 1-2 places where they can be kept and something being a tiny bit too big will mean they won't fit at all.

I think that, if my possessions were spread over a more normally-sized home, it would look a bit spartan and minimalistic. Having said that, having hard physical limits on what I can keep is an excellent discipline.

Umm, still haven't got that bag of Stuff down to the chazzer, not been too well the past few days (mystery gut ache) and have been doing the bare minimum to get by. Did eat a frog in respect of mending something which has been parked on the back of the sofa awaiting attention for probably two months, so feeling glad not to be looking at that. :D

Us people with fatigue syndromes and chronic illnesses have some challenges which aren't obvious to outsiders but we can only do what we can do, and mustn't beat ourselves up emotionally if we're having a rough time. Sometimes, you have to see that you're fed and can rest, and everything else has to take a running jump.

ETA; If nothing else, those of us who are decluttering are sparing our nearest and dearest a world of hurt when it comes to the end. It's very selfish to hold onto stuff to such a degree that you are going to exhaust, stress, distress and cause vast inconvenience and expense to your relations. Not a good set of emotions for them to encounter at a time of bereavement.

My Mum tells me she is joking with relations and friends that I am decluttering her before she goes. I reckon progress so far is about 0.5 % by volume, but I operate on the joint principle that it's making life easier for them now and easier for me and Kid Bruv at some point which is hopefully well down the line.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills