3,4 or 5 year journey to financial freedom

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,279 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 10 May 2015 at 10:40PM
    I am mulling over whether I should include inheritance as one of the factors in my retirement plans too. My father, who is in his late 80s, plans to split his estate between me and a sibling. But I'm reluctant to include it in my reckonings because I'm not sure how much he has to leave in total and it seems rude to ask. Also, things can change or go wrong. I feel I should probably stick to factors I have some control over now.

Frugal90, should add: will read about your journey towards retirement with great interest!
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • frugal90
    frugal90 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We have not factored in any inheritance- as you say "things can go wrong" frugal
    Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it
  • frugal90
    we did a calculation last night and to feel comfortable, to be able to do all the things we want we have calculated that we will need a monthly income of about £2200. About £26400 per year. The more that I look at it summer 2017 looks more of a possibility. Especially as someone has mentioned on another thread that my pension calculation might be based on a higher figure than my actual salary, due to lack of pay rises- inflation and the fact that my pension will be calculated using the highest of the last three years in ten averaged out to take into account inflation using the CPI index. I need to check that further as it could be a decision maker. Based on my current salary my pension would be £18278 at 60 plus 3 x =54000 as a lump sum and my wife's will be £14000 at 60 plus a lump sum of £42000. If I go at 55.25 then we will need to cover that 4 years and 9 months or take pension early . I have sipps to the value of £60000 which we can use plus the next couple of years we could focus on building a cash buffer - we should manage to save £48000 in two years at £2000 per month- assuming no growth in the sipp that would then give me £108000- draw down max tax free plus 25% £14000 ish per year -supplement it with cash dipping into isas and yes it seems to become do-able. Job this week - try to find out more about the three years in ten and do the calculation for what my pension will be based on. Sorry beginning to haver -it's early.
  • frugal90
    edited 16 May 2015 at 4:17PM
    Right it has been a busy week but managed to achieve some things :

1. Found out that it is possible for me and my wife to pay off the extra years buy back for our teacher scheme- we are currently paying monthly from our gross salaries, however the final payment is not due until 2022. We will need to get a quote for what it is going to cost us to buy them off as a lump sum and will save towards that payment when we have the quote. As we will be paying the lump from net earnings I believe it will be possible to offset this from tax the following year. Suspect the quote will be quite high, but we can make this a savings priority over the next 12 months.

2. Found nearly £3000 in a teachers AVC I had forgotten about so have organised to get that transferred alongside my SIPP.

Portfolio - looking for comments on the allocation

Unit Trusts:

UK
    Woodford Equity Income £52,702
    Lindsell Train Equity Income £3,063
    Euro
    Jupiter Euro Opps £19,750
    Artemis Euro Opps £3,448
    Neptune Euro Opps £5,634
    Asia/Pacific/Emerging
    First State Global Emerging Mkts £3,247
    First State Asia Pacific Leaders £5,794
    Blackrock Asia Special Sits £3,756
    Global
    MFM Slater Growth £9,775
    Lindsell Train Global £1,113

Investment Trusts

Finsbury Gwth IT £27,101
    Woodford Patient Capital £9,488
    City of London £21,889
    Standard Life Smaller Cos £2,267
    Pacific Assets IT £9,051
    Scottish Mortgage £33,870
    Biotech Growth Trust £31,937

We have a monthly investment of £1000 (£1250 inc gov 20%) into my wife's SIPP
    starting next month into

25% City of London IT
    25% Scottish Mortgage IT
    25% Temple Bar IT
    25 % Finsbury Gwth and Inc IT

All other saving going to cash to pay the extra years off

have a great weekend

Frugal
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your investment trusts look like you've been reading the www.fool.co.uk Investment trust board where a poster "Luniversal" has been tracking various portfolios for decades. These seem gewared to capital preservation so although there may be some equities in there I think that counts as some diversification. These will secure/preserve your capital in extreme times, but possibly at a cost of lower returns in normal times

You have no property bonds or commodities. Now you are exposed to UK property through your house so that's not too bad, bonds are generally regarded as extremely expensive at the moment (yet that view has been true for years and they have been returning stonkingly well as the 30 year yield curve gets flatter and flatter) commodities I think at the moment are likely to be correlated with equity. So I don't think that omission is serious - but you might want to consider other asset classes

For example Some would recommend you hedge your portfolio with some precious metal exposure (if inflation kicks in or there is another crisis that could be good. At some point you have to make sure your portfolio is robust against shocks even if after a year in which no shocks has happened you might think what am I doing.

In terms of your funds, you look like you will be paying some high fees and I don't understand why you have so many especially as they are all of a single type (ie Opps) - surely a general purpose euro fund, a single EM fund would be better - or if you must have multiple then one could be special situations, one could be large cap, and one could be smaller cap

you should look at the vanguard thread (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4392271 where people discuss strategies around their life strategy funds (ie very large generalist funds have eg 60% equities, 80% equities. These funds are REALLY cheap and seems to do OK. The thread also discusses various top up strategies to cover areas (eg EM) that the Vanguard fund doesn't. You should look into Vanguard whole range of low cost funds as you may be able to mirror your risk/return spread at a lower cost
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • frugal90
    edited 16 May 2015 at 6:12PM
    Thanks for your sensible suggestions
    The portfolio is held on two platforms my wife and I have isas with iii , I also have a sipp with them. My wife's sipp is with h+l. We are targeting investment trusts only in her sipp. Regards frugal
  • mark55man
    cool - I also like the Lindsell train IT - has done very well for me although at £460 a share dealing costs make your eyes water, but if you are going to hold forever then that's not too bad
  • frugal90
    Just had a look at the vanguard life strategy funds and they seem heavily weighted to USA.
  • mark55man
    whereas yours seem very unweighted to the usa - again which is a common position as they have had a fair run at it - but avoiding a geography is quite an active decision in any case particularly where that is the usa.

my favorite saying is what works most years doesn't work every year so I would say that was a bit of a gap (although clearly most FTSE100 companies are quite exposed to us economy)
  • frugal90
    Weekly update on progress- not too much happened this week except managed to open a santander 123 account and plan to fund it with £500 per month to begin build cash reserves - will transfer our direct debits like council tax, tv, elec as there is cashback on that.

Also started a free OU short course on finance which is quite good- you can spend loads of time on it or dip into it which I am doing https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/managing-my-investments

also thought I would list a few blogs that I have been using for information

http://monevator.com/
    http://simple-living-in-suffolk.co.uk/

especially this post as it illustrates what we are planning to do with Sipps
    to carry us through to DB schemes

http://simple-living-in-suffolk.co.uk/2015/05/front-running-a-db-or-state-pension-with-a-new-osborne-style-sipp/
    http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

have a good week all

frugal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business