Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Sweetsue
    Sweetsue Posts: 27 Forumite
    Hi, I would be grateful for some advice, three of us travelled to Hurghada in March, we were delayed by almost five hours. I claimed compensation in early April and heard nothing until today when I received a standard letter of apology with a voucher in my name as the lead passenger for £700. I wondered how they came to that figure and if it is correct? Also In the envelope with my letter was a letter to a Mr Barker rejecting his claim which I will forward on!
    Many thanks
    Sue
  • IvanhoeP
    IvanhoeP Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi,

I wrote of my flight delay in post #6430. I completed the form for compensation and emailed it to Qatar Airways, requesting a response within 14 days, but that has now lapsed and I haven't heard from them. I think the problem maybe, that I gave them the wrong flight number and lead name. Not surprising really. Unfortunately, we have not kept our boarding passes, or any other paperwork for this 2008 holiday.

I've now contacted the travel agents, Hayes & Jervis, who were able to give me the correct flight number, QR012 for 14/2/2008. The scheduled arrival times would have been useful, but I can't find them. I know the 7hr delay at Heathrow was because of 'technical problems,' but wonder how I can find out what they were. The problem is, without any documentation I'm relying on my memory, which isn't as good as it used to be.

Would you suggest I resubmit a new compensation claim and mention the first one I sent, with the errors it contained? I'm nervous of getting it wrong a second time.

Thank you.
  • jenn1ewest1
    jenn1ewest1 Posts: 130 Forumite
    sky_rat wrote: »
    I am sure we had to pay something towards the cost of my daughter traveling too.

The only problem is, I don't have the paperwork.... the booking was made just over 6 years ago and the flight was just under 6 years ago. I dont have the credit card that I booked the holiday with either (Egg Credit Card).

I have contacted Yorkshire Building Society (who took over Egg) to see if I can get a copy of the statement, although this will only show the total cost and not a breakdown of all the costs like an invoice would show.
    you would have definitely paid a fee for your infant I believe with mytravel it would have been in the region of £35/£40
    JH
  • Hi i was delayed for 17 hours in June 2012 for a flight from Manchester to Kos with Thomson meaning we flew the next day and lost a day of our holiday. We thought we would have a strong case for claiming compensation after our traumatic experience however after claiming several months ago, we today received a letter from Thomson stating that they WON'T be paying out as the fault with the engine which lead to our flight being cancelled wasn't their fault.

I find this hard to take as we lost a great proportion of our holiday and feel like they should be compensating us after what we went through.

What if anything at all would we be able to do about this decision as we don't want to take it lying down?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Danny03 wrote: »
    Hi i was delayed for 17 hours in June 2012 for a flight from Manchester to Kos with Thomson meaning we flew the next day and lost a day of our holiday. We thought we would have a strong case for claiming compensation after our traumatic experience however after claiming several months ago, we today received a letter from Thomson stating that they WON'T be paying out as the fault with the engine which lead to our flight being cancelled wasn't their fault.

I find this hard to take as we lost a great proportion of our holiday and feel like they should be compensating us after what we went through.

What if anything at all would we be able to do about this decision as we don't want to take it lying down?

Danny,

I don't think you can have read very much on this forum. Start then with the Thomson thread, so you can see the kinds of experiences that others have had, and then read page one - which has really useful FAQs and some excellent links. Those should cover 95% of your possible questions - including what to do next.

But be warned: getting compensation is going to be a big effort. Either be prepared to put the work in, find a No Win No Fee company to do it for you (at about 30% of your award) or let it drop.
  • maghater wrote: »
    I think that if the air carrier puts you in a lower cabin class than what you paid for, in addition to your statutory compensation, you are also entitled to a hefty percentage refund on your original ticket. 75% rings a bell. Just a hunch but worth checking out

:TThanks for that. I am just filling out a claim letter and was going to ask for 50% but after the way they handled the issues they deserve to pay 75% and its a better negotiating figure anyway.
  • hi there I'm flying in july with Alitalia airline from London-Milan
    and Milan-Tirana I booked my flight tickets with lastminute.com
    and they send me an e-mail saing that my flight from Milan-Tirana is going to departe 4 hours later then the one I booked
    this is the second time they doing this to me .first time I had to change the traveling dates and pay a bit extra because I don't like to wait 5 hours at airoport with to small children.can someone please advise me what are mo options now and if I will be entitled
    to compensation
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    beliuk wrote: »
    hi there I'm flying in july with Alitalia airline from London-Milan
    and Milan-Tirana I booked my flight tickets with lastminute.com
    and they send me an e-mail saing that my flight from Milan-Tirana is going to departe 4 hours later then the one I booked
    this is the second time they doing this to me .first time I had to change the traveling dates and pay a bit extra because I don't like to wait 5 hours at airoport with to small children.can someone please advise me what are mo options now and if I will be entitled
    to compensation

There is no claim for EU compensation as you are being given more than 14 days notice of the changes.

Have you checked if there is an earlier connecting flight on your dates that you could ask to be changed to?

The other alternative would be to try to get a refund on the flights but you would then be looking to purchase alternative flights at short notice for peak period and the cost may outweigh the wait at the airport.

You may find that there are no alternative options for the flights that suit your plans. Flight times can change all the time but unless you are informed with under 14 days notice there is no EU compensation
  • I used a template letter from this site and successfully claimed £1054 in compensation from Thomas Cook after a 36 hour delay dating back to 2009.
    It took 2 letters and a promise to refer to the CAA and also a post on thier facebook page to get a response. They will try to delay by any means possible.
    Dont give up
    :T:T:T
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Info for those who aren't confident in bringing a claim themselves

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/jun/15/airline-compensation-delayed-passengers
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback