Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Happihorse and Dawyldthing you hve my sympathy!! We were a bit worried about that possibility too - the lady who owned it before had gone into a home, but fortunately she's still with us! It must be incredibly frustrating - especially waiting since September! :eek: Fingers crossed for you both that it all goes through before the 24th.

Does anyone know if Natwest mortgages will show up on online banking? We have a joint a/c with them and paid for the deposit through this but we didn't apply direct to NW for the mortgage (used a broker). Might give them a ring later and see.

Have realised that we need to build up our emergency savings first, so overpayments are still some way off... :( (That's in addition to my own personal 'buffer fund' for lean work months...)

Have discovered that we have at least four fish in the pond, so new names will be required, although Annie and Claribel are strong contenders at the moment!

Need to sort boiler cover today - had a look yesterday and realised that neither Quidco nor TCB offer cashback (except for Npower). Will have a read of Martin's guide before I take the plunge!

Vicky
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Congratulations on the new home :cheers: (thought that was a smiley?)

My wife and I move into our first place tomorrow, very excited.

I'm intrigued by Rosie and Jim - I take it they're pond fish? Otherwise the sellers very *very* lazy when it came to packing... :D
  • themadvix
    Edinburgher - Yes, they are pond fish and I think if we'd said we didn't want them they would have moved them! :D Good luck with the move tomorrow - I hope it all goes well!

Boiler cover sorted - £12.50/month from BG and that includes a service (boiler is over 10 years old, so definitely want one of these). £50 call out charge, but this is still cheaper than the 'no excess' poliy unless you have to call them out more than once a year. So fingers crossed!:o

Vicky

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Weronika
    Weronika Posts: 260 Forumite
    themadvix wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Natwest mortgages will show up on online banking? We have a joint a/c with them and paid for the deposit through this but we didn't apply direct to NW for the mortgage (used a broker). Might give them a ring later and see.

Hi,
    we got natwest mortgage and it doesn't show up on online banking - so every time I want to know the balance I have to ring them:mad:
    But they are quick to answer the phone so it's not too big PITA:cool:
    Debt: [STRIKE]-£77.299 74,209[/STRIKE]-£72,860 Projected MF date(age):[STRIKE]2044(63)[/STRIKE] 2029(48)
    Credit Card 0%: -£1,800 Reg Saver: £4000/£6000 ISA: £0/£2500

From March 2012: Mortgage OP: £160 pcm
    (saving 29k):D
    Apr 2013 Goal: reduce balance to £72,000 to get 60%LTV & better deal
  • themadvix
    Thanks Weronika. How annoying though!

• themadvix
    Hi All,

Another thing Ive realised I should have mentioned is that we've borrowed £3k from DF's mum, so we'll have to repay that first. We haven't technically spent all of it but are holding onto the remainder for the moment just until we're a bit more confident with the bills and what we need to spend on decorating (as opposed to would like to). The bathroom is currently a 'wet-room' but it's badly done and we'd like a bath, so we hope to get that done before June.

Right, off to paint the living room to make it liveable! On the upside, I exchanged ShopandScan points for £50 of Homebase vouchers, so the pain of shopping there will be relieved somewhat!

Vicky

• themadvix
    Forgot to add - I created FB's overpayments spreadsheet and had a play around - it's AMAZING! I can see how this will really encourage us to overpay once we're ready to do so.

• horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have anyone in your family who is over 60 then they often have discount cards for places like B&Q (use on Wednesday only). So if there isn't any other offers on then this can be heplful.
    Also do you have a cashback type credit card (that you pay off every month of course). I have a M&S card and the vouchers that I have earned over the year has paid for most of the bedding for my new bed! I waited until they were offering 20% off. Not a fortune, but effortless money.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    themadvix wrote: »
    Forgot to add - I created FB's overpayments spreadsheet and had a play around - it's AMAZING! I can see how this will really encourage us to overpay once we're ready to do so.

"insert evil laugh here"

Another one hooked FB, well done :rotfl:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • themadvix
    horsechestnut - brilliant thinking! We'll be taking DF's dad with us shopping now :D That's a great tip! Haven't really investigated B&Q yet, even thought there's a huge one nearby. The cashback CC is something we're halfway there with- DF has one and I'll get a card on his account when we're married, but I tend not to spend on credit as being SE I don't have a guaranteed income.

gallygirl - thanks for dropping by, even if it was only to laugh evilly! :p I've been hooked for a while, but when you have real figures to put it in makes it look all the more exciting. Still don't have any plans to get too excited about spreadsheets though - will leave that to the other half!

A veeeery long weekend here, partly due to the fact that we were awake at 6 both days to watch the Australian GP and qualifying. We're both big fans of F1 (DF is a motorsport graduate and my claim to fame is to have swept out the former Ferrari garage at Silverstone:rotfl:) but the Australian GP is a bit of a killer. We were very MSE though and used an old analogue decoder and spare dish on DF's parents' house to watch it on German TV for free!

Being up early did mean we got a lot done though - living room is ready for top coat now and we hope to finish that this evening. :) Woman in Homebase offered us a store card that came with £60 of Homebase vouchers - think we might take them up on that next time we're in there (purely for the vouchers of course!).

My car broke down yesterday as I was collecting my Nan and Great Aunt for Mothers' Day lunch - steam billowing from under the bonnet when you've got two old ladies in the car is quite scary! Fortunately it was just a split hose and the RAC man bandaged it to get it home. Just need to find a replacement hose and get DF to fit it (he's a mechanic). Car-less today though, leaving me forced to get on with to-do list!

Happy Monday everyone!

Vicky

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback