Downloading youtube videos onto an ipad 3.

Options
Hi folks,

Our child is a great fan of youtube on his ipad, and we are going away for a few days where wifi wont be available in the apartment.

Is there any good app that will download the youtube videos onto the ipad so that he can have a small collection when no wifi available.

I can easily download them onto my computer with an extension I have on my browser, so another question is, would they play if I transferred them to ipad?

Preferably as he has special needs he would need to see a thumbnail of the video on his ipad so that he can make his choice.

Many thanks for any help in this.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can easily download them onto my computer with an extension I have on my browser...

What extension do you use, out of interest? :)
    ...another question is, would they play if I transferred them to ipad?

I would have thought so. The most important thing is that the iPod's video player is compatible with the file format of the downloaded videos.

The easiest way to find out is to try! :-) If it doesn't work, you can probably just download an app like VLC. (I'm not familiar with Apple devices at all.)
    Preferably as he has special needs he would need to see a thumbnail of the video on his ipad so that he can make his choice.

Can you do that on your iPhone in the file explorer by changing the default settings...? Or maybe another file explorer app would do the trick...?
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can do this on android, but not on Apple tablets/phones unfortunately
    poppy10
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are in the UK and have data allowance on a phone you could turn it into a mobile hotspot (although be careful of using up allowance).
    Not sure if there's a way of doing it directly using the ipad, but you could use a site like clip converter to download and mp4 video and transfer it onto the ipad and then use a media player app to play it.
    You might have to try a few to get one that works best.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes
    can easily download them onto my computer with an extension I have on my browser, so another question is, would they play if I transferred them to ipad?
    if you use VLC (free from the app store) I have done this in the past. There are other video players out there too
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure