VW Transporter T5 - Camper Van

Hi, I am looking at the possibility of buying a van, to eventually convert (if money allows) into a camper van.
Initially I was thinking about buying a camper van, but then that would mean having two cars - ideally I want something I can use on a daily basis, commute to work, but also can use on a weekend to chuck some bikes in the back etc etc, cheap holidaying, cheap weekends away.
Looking around I like the look of the VW T5 Transporter - however the guy two doors down from me where I live has one and he is a complete !!!!!! and I dont want to seem like I am copying him.
Just wondering if there are any other options? Also I wonder if its worth getting a cheaper one for now, using it for a year to see if I like it, get the use out of it, before I go whole hog on a newer one and get the full camper van conversion?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    World and dog buying vans for non-business use go for the VW T5 Transporter and as a result they're madly overpriced for what they are, often you're paying twice what you would for an equivalent van from another maker. Transits rust before your eyes so I'd avoid those. Renault Trafic/Nissan Primastar/Vauxhall Vivaro which are the same van with either a Renault, Nissan or Vauxhall badge on are all good solid workhorses. Go for the 2 litre Renault Trafic, not the 1.9L. Wife has a 2L Trafic she uses as her "car" and it averages 43 MPG in daily use.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Get the T4, a much better van than the T5!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2018 at 4:36PM
    Agree with both points above. T5 has reliability issues which VW are in denial about. We're considering a day-van in a few years time when I semi-retire and it'll most likely be a Vivaro.

Eldest Son is an HGV mechanic for a commercial hire company who run a fleet of them and there's always dirt cheap ex rentals coming up for sale, some that have been better looked after than others I must add!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A car forum I'm on slates the vivaro, do some research on it, supposed to have a lot of issues especially as the mileage hits around 80-90k.

I am biased, I have a converted T4 and half way through converting a t5. I use the t5 for commuting when its not in bits - its the auto with sports drive, 140bhp, supposed to be the best engine to go for. Even the lower specs are quite tunable though. Lots of forums for DIY as well.

If doing your own van you could easily make the conversion removable so you could use for camping or bikes. Add a driveaway awning and they are brilliant for holidays.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    I think it's one of those things, it doesn't matter what is suggested - everyone is going to know about some problem or other with it. My son knows about the common faults with the Vivaro so I'm quite happy choosing one of them at a third of the price of an equivalent VW. I do like the T4 though and if one came up at the right time and right price I'd jump at it.

My mate & his Mrs have a T2 bay window westfalia, a T4 day van, a 1970's beetle, a Mk5 golf gti and a Passat. He's refusing to buy a T5 due to known engine faults. I trust his opinion when it comes to VWs.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Tarambor wrote: »
    World and dog buying vans for non-business use go for the VW T5 Transporter and as a result they're madly overpriced for what they are, often you're paying twice what you would for an equivalent van from another maker. Transits rust before your eyes so I'd avoid those. Renault Trafic/Nissan Primastar/Vauxhall Vivaro which are the same van with either a Renault, Nissan or Vauxhall badge on a all good solid workhorses. Go for the 2 litre Renault Trafic, not the 1.9L. Wife has a 2L Trafic she uses as her "car" and it averages 43 MPG in daily use.

I have around 40 vans through my business and everything you said is spot on.
    The Vivaro/Trafic is a cracking van.

Bought a new Transit in 2016 and needed a new engine at 20,000 miles. I hated the rust issues on the old ones so bought a new shape. Its cr.ap.

The Transporter isn't a bad van BUT they aren't 5 grand better than a Vivaro.
    It's an image thing with the Volkswagens. Stick a Dacia badge on it and sales would fall through the floor
  • Ozzuk wrote: »
    A car forum I'm on slates the vivaro, do some research on it, supposed to have a lot of issues especially as the mileage hits around 80-90k.

I am biased, I have a converted T4 and half way through converting a t5. I use the t5 for commuting when its not in bits - its the auto with sports drive, 140bhp, supposed to be the best engine to go for. Even the lower specs are quite tunable though. Lots of forums for DIY as well.

If doing your own van you could easily make the conversion removable so you could use for camping or bikes. Add a driveaway awning and they are brilliant for holidays.

Gearbox issues on the early ones (at 15 years old you don't see many around now) and injector issues from 07 to 2011 were the common problems.

The people who complain about them buy high mileage examples, never service them and then complain when they go wrong.

The lads who work for me think the Merc Sprinters we have are the best vans on the road.
    They wouldn't think this if they knew how much it costs me to keep them on the road.
  • Good luck with your VW purchase. Here are some tips if you are buying second hand.

Watch out for any slip from the clutch with manual transmissions, or jerkiness in shifting with automatics. Van’s mechanicals are generally pretty hard wearing by nature of what they’re designed to do, and, usefully, repairing them is relatively inexpensive too. When looking at any camper van purchase take a look at our comprehensive list of used van buying guides for specific mechanical issues relating the base van you might be considering - they’ll give you detailed pointers on what to look for mechanically.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Good luck with your VW purchase. Here are some tips if you are buying second hand.

Watch out for any slip from the clutch with manual transmissions, or jerkiness in shifting with automatics. Van’s mechanicals are generally pretty hard wearing by nature of what they’re designed to do, and, usefully, repairing them is relatively inexpensive too. When looking at any camper van purchase take a look at our comprehensive list of used van buying guides for specific mechanical issues relating the base van you might be considering - they’ll give you detailed pointers on what to look for mechanically.

Think he may have bought it by now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport