How on earth did I get sold PPI?

Hi
I've found 3 sets of documents so far telling me/we that we took out PPI. At the time we both in employment with 6 months full pay if we were off sick and my husband had a policy which paid out as well when he was off sick. I am quite staggered that we were still sold PPI. I've downloaded the templates to start to apply for refunds. How much evidence will I need to provide that these measures were in place. I have payslips from the period my husband's refers to the policy he had for this. I did find some paperwork showing a payout from that as well.
Also, has anybody claimed anything back from what was Frizzells? Now part of L&V?

Thanks . Not expecting a fortune back but it will be useful.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    At the time we both in employment with 6 months full pay if we were off sick and my husband had a policy which paid out as well when he was off sick. I am quite staggered that we were still sold PPI.

Actually, it may not be missold. If its a standalone regular premium PPI (i.e. not built into a debt) then complaints about these usually fail. The 6-12 month sick pay is not a good complaint reason with those as long as it pays out in addition to the sick pay (most standalone plans do).
    . How much evidence will I need to provide that these measures were in place.

None in your initial complaint but you it would be useful to get the info handy in case you are asked for evidence.
    Also, has anybody claimed anything back from what was Frizzells? Now part of L&V?

This next bit is key....

Frizzell was bought by LV in 1996. Insurance regulation was from 14th January 2005. When did your husband buy these?

Frizzell also sold a lot of these plans direct to consumer. Especially via unions. e.g. Unison. So, how did your husband buy it?

Were the plans bought in conjunction with any debt?

These are key issues as it could be that your husband misbought them rather than being missold them. It could also be pre-regulation and brokers are not required to consider pre-regulation complaints.

LV have very low complaint stats on PPI. FOS indicate that they have received under 30 complaints about PPI from LV. The uphold rate against LV for all areas is just 18% (compared to 36% as an average). The reason for low complaint rates could be down to them being pre-regulation (FOS cant look at pre-regulation cases on brokers). The other reason is that standalone monthly premium PPI is one of the good types of PPI. You can still buy it today.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Sunnie15
    Sunnie15 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Any PPI from Frizzells/LV would have been taken out in conj. with a loan.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sunnie15 wrote: »
    Any PPI from Frizzells/LV would have been taken out in conj. with a loan.

Frizzell also sold standalone cover.

However, from your comment, that would indicate your husbands cases were loans rather than standalone. Who sold him those loans? It is the seller you complain to. Not the insurer (unless its pre-regulation and falls in the window where ABI or GISC come into play). If you dont answer questions, no-one can help you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i had a successful claim against frizzels about 2006 because i was paid work or play(which in light of previous post may not have worked i.e paid in addition) and because i had type 2 diabetes controlled with meds used martins template letter received 4k
  • Although Frizzells is an insurance company it did also provide 'continuous crdit and also car loans. I had both in the 1980s and PPI would have been inconnection with the loans.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Wow Maccy47 truly pointless info on a long dead thread ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business