How to approach notice period?

I'm jumping the gun a bit - not actually been offered a job yet but have some interviews scheduled.
I really can't face going straight from my current job to a new one but don't know how to organise this once I do get an offer. I'd love to have 2 weeks to clear my head, get mentally ready and spend time with my child, especially if I'm lucky enough for this to happen during school holiday.
I thought about asking for a shorter notice period but they are so disorganised it would probably take a month for them to say no! I thought about quitting without notice but worried that could skew a good reference? Also thought to book a holiday then quit once its authorised, so technically I'm still employed, just not at work.
Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I'm jumping the gun a bit - not actually been offered a job yet but have some interviews scheduled.
    I really can't face going straight from my current job to a new one but don't know how to organise this once I do get an offer. I'd love to have 2 weeks to clear my head, get mentally ready and spend time with my child, especially if I'm lucky enough for this to happen during school holiday.
    I thought about asking for a shorter notice period but they are so disorganised it would probably take a month for them to say no! I thought about quitting without notice but worried that could skew a good reference? Also thought to book a holiday then quit once its authorised, so technically I'm still employed, just not at work.
    Any suggestions please?

They could ofcourse cancel your holiday? And It seems unlikely you have enough holiday to cover the full notice period?

Why not just schedule your start date to be later?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't have enough holiday to cover 4 weeks no. Thought of giving 4 weeks notice but working 2 and taking 2 as holiday. I could maybe negotiate a later start date but if they won't agree then I don't know. What if I just say I'm leaving after 2 weeks / 3 weeks whatever? Technically its a breach of contract but I don't foresee them doing much? They can't force me to stay.
  • Guest101
    I don't have enough holiday to cover 4 weeks no. Thought of giving 4 weeks notice but working 2 and taking 2 as holiday. I could maybe negotiate a later start date but if they won't agree then I don't know. What if I just say I'm leaving after 2 weeks / 3 weeks whatever? Technically its a breach of contract but I don't foresee them doing much? They can't force me to stay.

No but they can charge you for any costs associated with you leaving.

Which could be the additional cost of hiring a temporary replacement.
  • Fireflyaway
    There has always been a big gap each time someone left my role so I know they would never hire a temp. I would be sure to hand over all my stuff and leave handover notes for the next victim.
  • Guest101
    There has always been a big gap each time someone left my role so I know they would never hire a temp. I would be sure to hand over all my stuff and leave handover notes for the next victim.

I'll step away - I can tell you that the 'its never happened before' argument often backfires.

Forewarned is forearmed.
  • Fireflyaway
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I'll step away - I can tell you that the 'its never happened before' argument often backfires.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Yes true. I'm so close to not caring though. I just want out.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Yes true. I'm so close to not caring though. I just want out.
    Excellent. So you'll be ok about them sacking you and not observing your notice period if they just want rid of you? It's no different. You made a commitment and an agreement, and no matter what the circumstances you are expected to build up your end of the bargain. If you get offered the job, talk to them. Maybe they won't budge. It's as much their right not to as it is yours to insist they abide by their contract with you. But you should always be very careful about stepping on an employer for no reason - you might just regret it.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So you have to give 1 months notice and want 2 further weeks before you start a new job? Then just tell your new employer that you will be able to start in 6 weeks.
  • Fireflyaway
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Excellent. So you'll be ok about them sacking you and not observing your notice period if they just want rid of you? It's no different. You made a commitment and an agreement, and no matter what the circumstances you are expected to build up your end of the bargain. If you get offered the job, talk to them. Maybe they won't budge. It's as much their right not to as it is yours to insist they abide by their contract with you. But you should always be very careful about stepping on an employer for no reason - you might just regret it.

I see your point about it being a breach of contract, but me quitting is kind of different to them sacking me, to my mind anyway. I'm one person who lives off a wage. No money for me could mean bills not getting paid etc. Me leaving them will be of virtually no consequence to them. I do hardly anything ( one of the reasons I want to leave) and virtually nobody is behind what I was recruited to do. I actually think they might be happy to see me go.
    I totally get on paper the idea of leaving with no notice is unprofessional but the place has annoyed me so much and in the bigger picture, nobody can force you to stay in a job. I'm a free man! I am a little concerned though that I'm just so fed up I will make a bad choice like sending a resignation postcard from a tropical island or sending in a cake with I QUIT iced on it......:rotfl:
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I'd be very careful about walking out half way through a notice period. Often jobs are offered subject to suitable references, and the reference not actually taken up until the job offer is accepted. If you do what you are suggesting, it's entirely possible the reference request will either be received, or responded to, after you have walked out. If you current employer then stated that you had walked out it could certainly have an effect on the job offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure