Great “Battle of the Brands” Hunt

Comments

• Usually buy Cheerios for breakfast, but thought I would try Tesco own brand hoops as they were quite a bit cheaper.

Yuk! Horrible! Back to Cheerios!
    Asda do probiotic stars. appart from the obvious, they are like Cheerios.
    My kids are converted!
  • TrickyDicky
    TrickyDicky Posts: 666
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just found out the blue dragon jar of red thai curry paste is cheaper and last longer than the bart one. So Ill be buying that in future.

I dont get along well with value tins of tomatoes, I always find I have 2 use 2 tins and reduce it for ages where Id normally use 1 tin of napolina. Luckily my local morrisons seems to run BOGOF on napolina tins every couple of months, so I buy in bulk.

Own brand mayo every time.

Always go for own brand drugs. 12p aspirin and 16p paracetomol? its all the same drugs in the branded stuff, I think the brands rely on the placebo effect of "Its branded, so it must work better for you".

If I need a new kitchen knife, I always buy decent branded ones. Cheap ones normally go blunt and refuse to sharpen pretty quick. And you'll probably snap the points off them. Decent knives should last for years.
  • Angel_Eyes
    Angel_Eyes Posts: 3,688
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'd love to hear if anyone could recommend a Hair Dye that really does cover Grey hairs. My friend:D has a few greys starting to appear but all the shop bought ones she has tried either don't cover the gey or only cover them for around two washes. She wouldn't mind paying over the odds for one that really works. But a cheap one would be preferable. tia
  • Sometimes i agree you do have to pay more to get better value. No cheaper brand has yet come close to Coca Cola, therefore i would happily pay more for the real thing.
    I love to get the cheaper brands, but this usually onlt benefits when they are used as ingredients, ie tesco own chopped tomatoes and kidney beans are ideal for making chilli with as other ingredients make the whole flavour, however, if the item is consumed on it's own, sometimes you have to pay out a little more for the taste you want.

What is the point of scripping on something when you end up either not liking it or using twice as much, this is a useful thread, as although much is personal opinion, it helps us other folk from making the same mistake.

I have an issue with Heinz ketchup lately however, love the heinz brand but had to buy a cheaper one just to get the old version bottle, what is with that upside down thing, it make you use twice as much whether you want to or not, shooting out at 200 miles an hour like that, and i can never get the last bit out!!! Bring back the old up the right way bottles i say!!!:rolleyes:
  • reniannen
    reniannen Posts: 9,139
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I agree with fairy liquid, definitely lasts longer.
    Also I have to agree with one of the posters above about sanitary towels, they definitely have to be branded - Always or Bodyform. I've tried cheap own brand versions and they never stick properly! Very irritating, and embarrasing as you mince down the street! :o

But on the other hand Morrisons' complexions wipes are great, do exactly the same job as Simple or other branded cosmetic wipes. Currently BOGOF, so 88p for 2 packs.

Also Superdrug's new range of shampoos and conditioners are brilliant value. I'm a convert to the henna and chestnut one for brown hair - it smells absolutely gorgeous and the smell stays in your hair all day. Plus they're only 99p each for a 250ml bottle, and often they seem to have them on 2 for £1.49.
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Hi everyone, I have to agree with other posters that Fairy liquid is the best and i have countless others but no to me it's the very best value. The paracetamol and asprin (supermarkets own brands) are the exact same as the dearer brands. I always buy them, and it does save money. I love Daz and Ariel washing powders and i feel they are value for money and clean the clothes so well, over the cheapy powders. Brillo pads are great too for value, and we love P.G. tips tea. My hubby will not drink anything else. If i try a cheaper brand of something and it tastes just as nice i will switch to it saving money but only if it is good.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • Morporkian
    Morporkian Posts: 120 Forumite
    On certain things in life, "branded" is better. The quality is far superior and better for a wider range of people. However, it isnt always the case. On things like medicines - pills mostly - the cheaper "store own label" does the same job for a fraction of the price.
    When it comes to clothes/shoes, it all depends on what you want the item for and if you look further into how it was made. Personally - and this will sound horrid - I cant afford to think "now, where was that made? What were the conditions? Whats the effect on the world's environment?" I simply dont have the funds to bother with these facts and frankly it'd depress me too much!
    Some branded clothes are far better and last longer, but quite a bit of the cheaper stuff is just as good.

Fairy Liquid is the best. My Mum, being rather poor when we were growing up, had tried out several and decided that Fairy was the best. I tried a couple of different ones when I first moved out and found the same. (Im glad to see many agree, actually!)
    I used to love Somerfield's own label Spaghetti in sauce (short cut), but we moved and didnt have access to it. Then, when a Tesco was built literally 2 minutes away, they did their own label one (not value :K) and that was brilliant! They have since stopped making it and nothing else really takes my fancy. The Heinz stuff is horrid, and the Branstons just tastes bland. However, I buy that one and add lots of tommy sauce ;)
    Ketchup has to be Heinz for us. The taste is just better for what we like and the others dont have that quality, sadly :(

As for clothes, I have a lovely Oasis Dress that my partner bought me about 5 years ago and it is wonderful. Very well made and, although it is an evening dress and I dont wear it often, it has lasted well. I wore it when 6 months pregnant (size 8!! lol) and it was very comfortable. Other, cheaper dresses I have irritated and were not as nice.
    Saying that, a good cheap New Look dress was brilliant for a friend's wedding when 5 months pregnant. Wouldnt want to wear it for too long though, as the ends do irritate a little.

I have to agree with someone else that Sketchers shoes are great!! I have a pair that I wear every day, that cost me £25 from Barrats in a sale about 5 years ago! They're getting a little worn now, but as I said, I wear them every day! The trick is to wait until there is a sale somewhere and buy them then. The cheapest pair Ive managed was £10!
    Other non branded trainers Ive had have never lasted anywhere near as long. The quality, again, just wasnt there.

As for items such as nappies, sometimes branded is better. For wipes we use Huggies. They irritate less, are thicker and so you dont need to use quite so many.
    Nappies themselves are different. Pampers newborn one are bulky, odd and just dont look comfortable. Huggies are nice and soft, but Tescos own were just as good and only a couple of quid!!
    Tescos own nappies in general are great just as good as pampers or huggies. Sometimes its nice to get the others. EG: If they're cheaper or you have money off vouchers etc, but most of the time they're not worth it. Unless your baby reacts to the cheaper nappies.
    I must admit though that the Huggies Pull-Ups are what I prefer. Tesco's ones are odd when wrapping them up. Fickle thing, but something that annoys me. lol

Of course, real nappies would be better. Obviously, their quailty has to be much better, because they are not disposable. From what Ive seen the bigger branded ones do actually do a better job and last longer, so are worth paying that little bit extra for. :)

(edit) Oh, I forgot a couple of things!
    For Shampoo/conditioner I love the Lorel Elvive Nutri-Gloss Pink stuff. Having really long hair, it does a lovely job and actually does the "light reflecting" bit more than cheaper ones. My brother used it once and said to me, "it really does work!" lol, bless 'im!
    Bacholers Super Noodles are a far better quality. Much thicker and nicer taste.
    TESCOS TEA BAGS! We love them. Nothing really different than other ones are a lot cheaper. If people want stronger tea with the silly "free-flowing bags" then why dont they just buy tea leaves? Why pay all that extra for a brand?
    Mums other half does actually love Sainsbury's Red Label Tea Bags, apparently. They dont get them very often, as its further to go, but he enjoys that tea a lot :)

OK, well that is enough rambling from me :P
  • Zeldazog
    Zeldazog Posts: 291
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Always sanitary towels
    Michim deordourant

Anything else I'll go with whatever is on offer but I WILL NOT compromise on these as I find them miles better than any other similar products.

Sarah x

I will second that to both of these, nothing else compares IMHO
  • spikeywan
    spikeywan Posts: 13 Forumite
    Mayonnaise - has to be Hellmann's. The own brands don't taste as good, go off quicker, and get rubbery bits in them.
  • redrach
    redrach Posts: 195 Forumite
    Branston Beans. They cant be beaten, and Daddies sauce (although its harder to get hold off than it used to be!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure