PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HM Burgers!

Options

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    You can also use egg to bind them.I add a slice of bread(crumbed) to mine to make them go a bit further.
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooooh let me think as it's a while since I made any. Finely dice some onion and sweat it off in a little oil until it goes translucent then leave to cool. Add this to your mince, along with a handful of fresh breadcrumbs and herbs/spices to taste. Add a beaten egg to help bind it all together then depending what size burgers you want to make divide up the mix into equal portions (I do about 6 from a pound of mince as we like them quite big) then make into burger shapes and pop in the fridge to chill for an hour or so before cooking. Grill or pan-fry as usual, whatever method you normally do.

Sometimes I make chilli burgers, so a teaspoon of chilli powder is added, or maybe some coriander and cumin to give that slightly curry flavour, and also add some freshly chopped coriander to add a bit of colour. The flavourings are purely down to personal taste but make sure you season well with salt and pepper otherwise they end up tasting quite bland.

Thanks Curry Queen these sound quite easy to make so I'll give it a go .didn't realise they had breadcrumbs in them! :T
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • taplady
    Options
    I tell you what, once you've made burgers yourself you'll never go back to ready made frozen ones again! Get a decent quality mince and the flavour and texture is so much nicer, plus there's none of the crap and fat you get in ready made ones. I've cooked my burgers on the GF grill and not one drop ends up in the collecting tray, compared to a couple of tablespoons full with the processed ones _pale_

yes. I was told the same thing about making fishcakes(that I wouldn't buy them again and its true!) :D
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    gingerdad wrote:

My ears pricked up when I read about the burger maker but I managed to resist instantly going to Lakeland site (only because I was in ebay as well as here!) but as you so helpfully provided a link - then it would be just rude not to. I'm sure I can squeeeeeeeze it in amongst the breadmaker,coffee machine,slow cooker,george foreman, blender etc.
  • bargainqueen_2
    Options
    I always use a mixture of half beef and half pork mince, as it gives heaps more flavour. Also, to stop them from falling apart when they are cooking I preheat the grill with the rack in it to really hot. Then I drop the burgers on it because it seals them instantly, preserving all the juices inside and stopping them from sticking to the rack. Then just keep on high and after 3 minutes or so turn with a fish slice, hey presto no stick yummy burgers!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    we have one of those burger makers too.The waxed cirles are just waxed paper or you can use clingfilm if you dont have any circles/paper.They are also excellent for fish cakes ,especially if you like them coated in breadcrumbs,they look quite professional like that.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    So when you mix the egg and bread crumbs into the mince, is this all in a bowl and not cooked yet (apart from the onions) ? then you make it into burger shapes and then put it in the grill/frying pan?
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    So when you mix the egg and bread crumbs into the mince, is this all in a bowl and not cooked yet (apart from the onions) ? then you make it into burger shapes and then put it in the grill/frying pan?

Yes! and if you have kids this is the bit they love to help out with as you just plunge your hands into the gooey mess and mix it all together :D

Edit: ooops don't forget when you've made the burgers to pop them in the fridge to chill for an hour so before using as this helps to firm them up so they don't fall apart when cooking :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use turkey mince for my burgers and oven cook it- even my picky daughters love them.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • taplady
    Options
    Yes! and if you have kids this is the bit they love to help out with as you just plunge your hands into the gooey mess and mix it all together :D

Edit: ooops don't forget when you've made the burgers to pop them in the fridge to chill for an hour so before using as this helps to firm them up so they don't fall apart when cooking :)

doesnt sound too difficult.Would it be ok to cook them in the george foreman? :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport