MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Tyrone & Molly serve picky guests out-of-date food?

Options

Comments

• RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I probably wouldn't serve frozen pies to guests at dinner. However, I was brought up to believe that when you go out for a meal you should have the politeness to eat what you're given without derogatory comments.

Two years is a bit much though, even if Molly would eat them herself. If it was a few months over the date, I'd say serve them up and keep schtum. However, as they are now two years past the date - and they are meat pies - I would not serve them. Too risky.

It's very easy to make a lovely fresh meat pie. I'd do that and then reap the compliments for my cooking, hehehe...
  • hellywelly5
    Options
    My motto: If it doesn't smell and there's no mould on it, eat it!! BUT I wouldn't give them to friends...you never know what they'll serve up in return when you go to them ;(
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even if they're hamless, i can't imagine being frozen for so long would have done the texture any favours. 2 years is too long even for me lol.
  • ZCC72
    ZCC72 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    If that's all they have in to serve, and can't afford more, then serve away. Any "friend" worth their salt will understand and appreciate. Or, knowing that they were skint, take them out to dinner instead, reserving the pies for M&T at a later date!!
    :A FLY FIRST, KNIT LATER :A
  • RascalRose
    Options
    I personally wouldn't serve anything SO far out of date, especially if I could just eat it myself on another occasion. (2 yrs? I wouldn't!) I have served things like unopened bags of salad with perfectly perky leaves post bb date, and meat a day past. I regularly make tea and coffee with milk well past: I'm more likely to chuck milk that's been open 3 days than an unopened carton 3 days past. You know pretty quickly if it's turning. I think I'm the only one of my friends who goes past the date or at least who admits to it! I make an total exception to eggs as they are rarely fully cooked and would pose a considerable risk. I would absolutely hate to send anyone home with food poisoning so I'd most likely use my best judgement. After all, if you buy veg prepacked it has a date on it and if you buy it loose (as all money savers and eco considerates should) it doesn't so you're using your best judgement in those circumstances anyway.
  • kenickie25
    Options
    2 years out of date! That's disgusting. That pie was around while Vera was still alive. Yuck! The fact that anyone would eat a gone off (or not gone off for that matter!) shop bought pie at all is bad enough, but to inflict it on someone else is just evil.

Also, the fact that it has been in the freezer for two years probably means Molly is SO CHEAP that she's actually serving a Fray Bentos Jack and Vera bought yonks ago! She didn't even buy it herself. Sick!
  • awehla
    awehla Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I take it this happened in Corrie recently. Anyway two years is a bit much, I eat things maybe a few months over like chocolate (though normally it's gone white and horrible) but two years! No, that is what we used to call "trampy" at school and I'd save the pies for another night and serve something nice instead or why not pop over to the Rovers for one of Betty's hot pots.
  • beatbasher
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't be so tight and i'd eat the pies for myself some other time, and feed them something I wouldn't be embarassed inside about whilst I served it :shhh:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds to me like Molly seriously needs to get her act together regarding using the oldest stuff up first - BEFORE it gets to be so out-of-date.

No, I don't think I'd serve something that had been frozen for that long to guests; but I have to say, any pies in my freezer would have been made by me in the first place, so wouldn't have a Best Before date on.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • lindsayg_2
    Options
    Last night I took a slightly out of date pudding to a friend who was making me dinner. It was only two days over, and I know she wouldn't mind. And it was a *very* nice pudding.

Anyway, turns out her husband *is* fussy about 'best before' dates. But since he was upstairs at the time we, er, forgot to mention it to him.

We had a slightly sticky moment while he read the label to see how to heat it up - luckily he never noticed the date and we all had a lovely pud! :)
    challenges : AFD : SNC :
    Ebay/ Amazon : £29 + £6 +
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family