Re: Cheap Aftershave (perfume)

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would just like to tell you that I was in Asda yesterday and I priced Obsession for women perfume (Calvin Klein). The cheapest anywhere else (Boots, House of Fraser,etc) I have found is £28-£29 for a 50ml bottle but Asda only charge £24.87!! Also, the 30 ml bottle is only £18.37!! I have used Obsession for the last 10 years and this is definitely the cheapest I have ever seen it. :o
  • skybelle
    Options
    Have just ordered Jean Paul Gautier's Le Classique eau de toilette 100ml from wowwoman.com (part of cd wow) for £41.99 instead of £52.50 - was £40 on fragrance direct, but was a tester. No delivery charge and they say I won't be charged customs duties. Use strawberrynet.com frequently - only charged duties the first time when I ordered several items at once. Order one thing at a time and each order qualifies you for a discount - the more often you buy the bigger the discount.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • System
    Options
    Safeway are doing some excellent perfume and aftershave offers including one of my favorites Samsara. RRP for 50ml eau de toilette is £39.50, Safeway price £14.99. They also have Nivia men products and Olay total effects products at half price. :)
  • dingo
    dingo Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi people

Look, I don't know much about money-saving with regard to perfumes but I just wanted to say that this is the best-smelling thread on the site (although I have to say that the stuff Martin is using smells a bit too musky).
  • dingo
    dingo Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, just noticed, that if you register at rpoints (you get £1 for registering if you are not already a member) then you can use their link to fragrancedirect to get an additional 2.5% of your order off.
  • presterjohn
    presterjohn Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Well the cheapest way though not very ethical is to just go to four or five different high streets stores and collect a few samples. I picked up enough free aftershaves to keep me going for at least two months  today.

Once in a while people will comment on one perticular scent, and I may buy a small bottle of that once a year or so, but the rest of the time I just use freebies.

Right now I am giving off the fragrent odour of a new Hugo Boss Special edition aftershave courtesy of Superdrug.
  • Sexy_Sarah
    Sexy_Sarah Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    ooh dear presterjohn!

You can't smell very nice if it'll take you 2 months to use samples collected at the counters! There's only enough in one of them for about 2 days. I don't believe you collected 30 samples! And unless you're cleaning your suits/jackets all the time, the smells will all mingle into 1. you'll be creating your own little fragrance!

I work in fragrance sometimes.

The prices are set by the fragrance houses - ie YSL, Ralph Lauren and not the stores. If the stores are selling them cheaper - ie when Boots take 1/3rd off, that is a store reduction, not a fragrance house reduction.

The advantage of buying fragrance from a high street chain is that the product will be fresh and recently manufactured. If you go to a fragrance counter they will gift wrap it for you, usually in the gift wrap of the fragrance and this is always free and 9/10 better than you would do at home as we are all trained in wrapping in the "Dior" way or the "YSL" way etc.

The fragrances I have looked at on sale at discount on the internet - and the same applies to cosmetics I have seen for sale on the internet are 9/10 old packaging or old shape bottles. This means they are old stock.

For example, Opium by YSL now has a new shape bottle and all YSL ladies fragrance packaging has been updated although the changes are subtle. All the Opium I have seen on the net and all the packaging I have seen on the net is the old style.

I have also seen Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour cream on the net for around £10 when the proper price is £19. However, it is always the blue packaging which, as far as I know, Elizabeth Arden stopped producing about 2 years ago.

As to how long fragrance lasts? I think personally it depends on the fragrance. I have Opium EDT that is 10 years old and smells the same as that I sell and lasts as long and its never been near a fridge. Its always lurked on the dressing table.

Mum has Youth Dew (Estee Lauder) that is at least 10 years old and has never been near a fridge and ditto, it smells the same and lasts as long.

You also have to remember that as we age our skin changes and for some people the fragrance that sat on us beautifully a few years ago will smell vile now.

And as for testers, I wouldn't want a tester as a present and if it wasn't in the proper packaging, then I'd be immediately suspicious that it fell off the back of a lorry. But if it was for my own use, then I guess there's nothing wrong with it...except you really have no guarantee of what is in the bottle as the majority of fragrance sold in store is cellophane wrapped at manufacture......I'm quite careful about what I put on my skin!

Anyway, haven't been on the site for a while and thought I'd just put my experience down!

S x
  • System
    Options
    ::) Hi, I used a company called Supa Perfume.com last Christmas to buy my 2 ladies Burberry London. I saved over £30.00 per 50ml bottle. My local price was £50.00 per bottle.

The postage is a little slow, but other than that, they are really good.

Find them here.

http://64.62.156.54/site/index.asp
    ;D
  • System
    Options
    ??? :o:'(

Sorry, I meant that was 100 ml and NOT 50 ml.

EVEN BETTER VALUE ;)
  • charlieheard
    charlieheard Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Looks like fragrancedirect is down this morning (or gone! ??? )
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family