PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I need to Detox the OS way - HELP!

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm very sceptical of detoxes-surely that's what your liver and kidneys are for,getting rid of toxins?

It sounds like a lot of the plans on offer, be they in book form or kit say the same thing-give the alcohol,caffeine and refined foods a miss for a while and make sure you get plenty of vitamins and minerals,oh,and no cigarettes obviously.That's all pretty old stlye.

I also need to lose weight,at 5' 4'' I weigh 13st 11lb.I'd like to lose at least 3 stone.This time last week,however I weighed 14 st 2lb-I know most of this loss is water,but I've just been eating smaller meals,noticing when I'm full and not snacking(too much) ;) ,and also drinking less(alcohol,that is not water).

There's a weight loss thread on the I wanna board with a weekly weigh in on Friday :j
  • Hop over to https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk and sign up for their free three day trial. Put in all your details and the amount you want to lose, then whilst your trail lasts, fill out their online food diary which not only works out what your daily calorie intake in (and the excercise is factored in), but it also compares the nutritional profile of what you ate to an idealised fat/carb/protein profile for you based on eth info you input. Its a really good way to see if you are fairly close to what you should be eating or way off. Another thing you could do in the free trial is calculate some favourite meals, then you can see if you can make any simple adjustments that mean you can eat what you like but still eat better and with a few fewer calories.

You can do more than one free trial too, so you could do three days at the start, then again in a month and see how you are doing. I actually have a paid subscription to the site and I lost 2 stone without really dieting, just by being very aware of what I was eating and what effect the excercise had.

Otherwise, make sure you get enough water, make sure you get a good walk every day (up and down the street if you have to!), dance gratuitously (bellydancing is ace fun and really good for you) and see if you can cut back a little on the caffeine and the bread, they are both really well known culprits if you are trying to un-podge!
  • some1shy
    some1shy Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    here is a link to another thread that someone asked a question like you have about detoxing ..thought it maybe handy to read other replies as well..
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=94568
    Change Jar: £19

" To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    When i first started trying to lose weight, i cut down on my food intake a lot, eating lots of fruit instead of meals etc, but when i was weighed, i wasnt losing anything. When i asked the nurse, she thought maybe i wasnt eating enough, so i started eating a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacking on fruit, nuts and seeds and the weight dropped off!!! And because i had cut out the caffine, crisps , sweets and alcohol, it was a perfect detox as well!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    To those who wish to diet put your breadmaker under lock and key throw out that lovely creamy butter and red meat and hide the chip pan Throw away the frying pan and make galleons of soup.Walk everywhere.
    You will lose weight,but will you be happy, or grumpy and have obnoxous breath. Weigh(sorry) up the pro's and cons before you do owt drastic.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Aussielass - CV is Carol Vorderman.

I know that bread is one of the worst culprits for that spare tyre :(

However, when I did the CV detox a couple of years ago, I didn't buy the spirulina or any other supplement. I had some multi vits etc in the cupboard and made do with those. So, it really is OS in that you buy decent food, do very little to it and eat well.

My diet must start tomorrow. We've had chips and nuggets etc for tea :( followed by jelly and ice cream then I've helped DS2 out by eating a choccy bar he doesn't like (well, I'm assuming he wouldn't have liked it :D:D)

I've never had to diet before. But I moved house (had to drive everywhere), had a baby and hit 40 all in a short space of time. Last time i did the detox, it was because i wanted to feel better. I'm not saying it will help everybody, but it worked for me. Off to read my CV detox book (ebay, £3.50:))

PS - I'm assured you don't get stinky breath with this detox. :D
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Right then, I've started making 2 lists.The first is what I need to get dh to buy from the market on tuesday,the 2nd is all the lovely, lovely things I am allowed no more of.

Much like you TM, I've not had too much of a prob in the past but having 3 kids in the space of 2 1/2 years has been absolute murder. I never lost the weight from one before falling with the next. Baby 1 gained 3 1/2st!, Baby 2 gained 2 1/2st! Baby 3 gained 12lbs (might have started to learn my lesson by then?) So now I am a 5'8", 16st6lb, 26 year old, clinically depressed, tired, worn out mum of 3 who needs to loose 6 stone!

I have little or no will power and always struggle with this kind of thing. I am going to start keeping both a food diary and an "emotional" diary. Hopefully I can chart my progress using both. I will restrict myself to a once weekly weigh in each Monday morning. You poor lot will be subject to it in each Mondays thread :p

Good luck to every one of us mad enough to try!
    Al.

PS-JackieO, I like your style girl!
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Drink plenty of water....drink a big glass about 10 mins before you're likely to eat, helps to make you feel fuller.

As for the bread - don't make it - bread is my downfall - I buy wraps or pitta breads for DD's lunchboxes....they don't have the same appeal to me as bread. Since having "issues" with my breadmaker (i.e everything's coming out like breeze blocks) we've hardly used it for anything other than dough. Potatoes are also a huge weakness of mine, DH is now in charge of potatoes as it's the only way I won't cook enough for 10 people and lets face it once they're cooked it's a shame not to eat them.

I don't drink coffee so don't have that issue, I have maybe 2-3 cups of tea a day but have found a sugar free squash that I like and buy fizzy water (yes I know - not very OS but it's only shops value 13p a bottle stuff). I drink several big glasses of that during the day and have noticed I'm not retaining so much water now.

I don't drive so it's either walk or don't bother as bus fares are so pricey here. We have lots of veg but I'm really bad at fruit, so I've found another fruit bowl and put it on a table right in front of where I sit in the living room - this way rather than walk to the kitchen (lets face it, why bother for an apple) it's all to hand and I've been having 3 bits of fruit of an evening whether I fancy it or not.....it WILL become a habit!! :rolleyes:

I've lost a stone and a half in the last 12 months by changing my eating habits rather than any crash diet, hopefully that way it will stay off. I'm hoping that this year I will do another stone. I'm treating my weight loss like my MSE experience, one thing at a time and it will all come together.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    I agree with Pooky, I lost 20lbs last year by changing one thing at a time rather than trying to do anything drastic.
    As soon as I think 'I'm on a diet' I start to obsess about food & eventually think 'what the hell' & binge on all the wrong things. I started by increasing the amount of water I drank then once that was a habit (& it DOES become a habit) I cut out alcohol except for 2 nights a week, when that became 'the norm' I stopped eating starchy carbs with my evening meal. Gradual changes really worked for me, I never felt deprived I just thought I was improving my diet.
    It takes a bit longer but I really believe it's the long term answer.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Good Luck Kiwichick! Let us know how you get on. Also all those lovely things - don't get rid of them completely just have them less often. I don't have much bread now but when I do I treat myself to a slice of freshly baked. It's a nice treat not a "naughty" . I'm not bothered about cakes & biscuits much but if I do indulge occassionally it's homemade and I know what's in it.
    I also suffered after having my two - my tummy will never be the same! But I've learned to live with it - if OH still finds me attractive (although perhaps he closes his eyes!) I can't have too much to worry about.
    When I started detoxing I felt like I'd taken off a heavy coat and could move again but perhaps that was due to the fact the the stuff I was eating was making me ill rather than just a diet thing.
    Only thing I found that worked for me was that I weighed myself every morning - I didn't get quite so hung up about it then as I could see that it could suddenly jump up a pound and then jump back down. It's not so much about how much you weigh as how well you feel.
    And kids can make you surprisingly unactive - could your dh perhaps look after them while you go for an 1/2 hr walk? I've found that a quick walk lets you think and relax and is a great tonic.
    Hang in there cos you're going to get there - we're all here for you so you're not alone and you ARE going to do this!
    K.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport