Difficult Will

Hi, my mother died and I was appointed executor, as stated on the will.

I have a large number of siblings who are entitled to an equal share of assets and four siblings who are entitled to a piece of jewellery each, as stated on the will.

Communication has been clear with everybody via email, probate has been applied for by another sibling, and we I am In the process of gathering assets ready for distribution.

During this period, there was a request by one sibling to obtain their share of property the deceased owned, which isn't in the will but in trust, that has been equally distributed and accepted by each sibling.

OK, so here the problems start :

1) I have an abusive sister in law who has threatened me and my partner physically many times, sent threatening emails and with my brother, claimed that there are several items they gave to the deceased which they want back immediately and it is my job to do so. They have said they gave her several items such as gold jewellery and a watch, nobody has ever seen these items. I have since replied saying I will only be dealing with my brother who is a beneficiary not his wife my sister in law. He has then sent an letter signed by the two of them and a witness, stating that all communication regarding the estate must be to her and not him even though she isn't a beneficiary, as she is now representing him.

I want absolutely no communication with this person and I am threatened and scared of her. What do I do regarding this?

2) If I want to step down as executor, can I nominate somebody else to do it who feels less threatened, such as one of my brothers?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You're the executor but another sibling has applied for probate...?

Get some proper legal advice - the sort you pay for, based on a full understanding of the circumstances and, crucially, sight of the will.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes , if one if your brothers has applied for probate then leave it all to him to deal,with (assuming he's agreeable) and write a short letter stating you reserve your right as executor) though you should already have done this if he is applying for probate anyway and you aren't.

Playing devils advocate it is possible they did give her the watches etc and it's up,to you what to do- you may decide not to give them back, you don't have to they are after all your mums once they've been gifted) or if you decide to give them but can't find them then obviously you can't and in that case I certainly wouldn't be looking to give equivalent value back, who knows where that could end..

I presume your brothers are not amicable between themselves either ?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Hi, my mother died and I was appointed executor, as stated on the will.

I have a large number of siblings who are entitled to an equal share of assets and four siblings who are entitled to a piece of jewellery each, as stated on the will.

Communication has been clear with everybody via email, probate has been applied for by another sibling, and we I am In the process of gathering assets ready for distribution.

During this period, there was a request by one sibling to obtain their share of property the deceased owned, which isn't in the will but in trust, that has been equally distributed and accepted by each sibling.

OK, so here the problems start :

1) I have an abusive sister in law who has threatened me and my partner physically many times, sent threatening emails and with my brother, claimed that there are several items they gave to the deceased which they want back immediately and it is my job to do so. They have said they gave her several items such as gold jewellery and a watch, nobody has ever seen these items. I have since replied saying I will only be dealing with my brother who is a beneficiary not his wife my sister in law. He has then sent an letter signed by the two of them and a witness, stating that all communication regarding the estate must be to her and not him even though she isn't a beneficiary, as she is now representing him.

I want absolutely no communication with this person and I am threatened and scared of her. What do I do regarding this?

2) If I want to step down as executor, can I nominate somebody else to do it who feels less threatened, such as one of my brothers?
    Your brother can!!!8217;t apply for probate without your agreement and you should not let him do so in the circumstances. Lodge a caveat with the Probate Office t o prevent him doing so.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Frances, is the sibling who applied for probate a joint executor with you? If not do as YM says.

Any gifts given to your mother are just that and now belong to the estate, so no one has the right to demand them back unless they can prove they were just loaned.

Unfortunately your pathetic brother, has given his wife power of attorney to act for him in this matter, so you do have to deal her not him, however this not mean you have to respond to her every whim.
  • Sorry to make clear a brother that I get on with applied for probate which is fine.

So just to summarise I do have to deal with this sister in law and I can stop being executor?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Is the brother you get on with who has applied for probate named as an executor in the will or not?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • No he was power of attorney
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 5:12PM
    Power of attorney ends with your mother's death.
    Go back and read post 4, as at the moment, however well you get on with your brother, he has no legal authority to apply for probate and you could be held liable if it all goes pear-shaped.

Were you the only named executor?
    Whether you can renounce being executor will depend on what you have done so far with the estate.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No he was power of attorney

But that doesn't mean anything on death?

I'm not sure how he did this?

Do you realise you can be held liable?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    None of this is making any sense. If you are the only person named as executor, it isn't open to anyone else - sibling or otherwise - to apply for probate. If the estate doesn't include land, property or shares, then probate may not be needed anyway.

If you want to renounce your role as an executor (and sounds a good idea!), get on and do so - but you can't reserve your right as an executor once you've renounced the role.

Suggest you see a lawyer sooner rather than later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure