Anyone heard of Avast Remediation.exe?

2»

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Also, I jumped from AVG to Avast a while back and now it seems Avast isn't in favour. Is this a constant thing - jumping from one protection to the other after a year or so?
    I've never advocated installing AGV, Avast, avira or any of that other crap

Built in windows defender works just as well - doesn't have all that flashy bloaty rubbish - doesn't slow down your machine . It just does its job .

If you absolutely cant trust yourself not to click on anything untoward then I would say bitdefender is your best bet.

And the reason people keep advising Malwarebytes and adw cleaner is because they work brilliantly and often rescue machines that are crippled with viruses and malware whilst having one of the above "AV solutions" installed regardless
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AndyPix wrote: »

Built in windows defender works just as well - doesn't have all that flashy bloaty rubbish - doesn't slow down your machine . It just does its job .

/QUOTE]

According to AV-Comparatives that may depend on your computer specification.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/avc_per_201804_en.pdf
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    lol how did i know they would put microsoft at the bottom of the list before i even opened that pdf
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • AndyPix
    edited 15 May 2018 at 9:21AM
    dogmaryxx wrote: »

/QUOTE]

According to AV-Comparatives that may depend on your computer specification.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/avc_per_201804_en.pdf

You are talking differences of tenths of a percantage point in overall score ..
    And Microsoft will be the only ones NOT putting money in the pockets of these "AV comparison" companies

I can only go off real world personal experience (not clean lab machines) of seeing many many machines with various AVG etc processes taking over 80%CPU full time whilst doing nothing
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And Microsoft will be the only ones NOT putting money in the pockets of these "AV comparison" companies

Not so.

AV-Comparatives charge all manufacturers the same fee in order for their product to be tested, so none of them can be advantaged or disadvantaged.
  • AndyPix
    dogmaryxx wrote: »
    Not so.

AV-Comparatives charge all manufacturers the same fee in order for their product to be tested, so none of them can be advantaged or disadvantaged.

Wrong

From their own website :
    " In several cases it happens that a vendor is tested even if it do not apply for it. In this case, the costs will be covered either by the magazines or by other independent parties, which requested the results."

Look, you can believe this guff if you want to, and bicker about 0.1% detection rates.

However i am not affiliated with any AV and can speak from long and full personal experience
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure