Anyone heard of Avast Remediation.exe?

Options
JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 12 May 2018 at 10:13AM in Techie Stuff
EDIT: Just did a search and it turns out that it's not Remediation.exe, it is a process called Remediation exe and downloads a file called Wsc_proxy.exe This site has details:

https://www.file.net/process/wsc_proxy.exe.html

Original post:

My laptop started up really slowly today so I suspected it was downloading something. Using task manager I see that Avast is taking up a lot of cpu/disk time. At one point I was asked if I would allow Avast Remediation.exe to download/run (can't remember which).

I decided to go ahead and say yes.

Avast is still chuntering away, after a good 15 minutes or so.

Any advice?

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 6:59PM
    Options
    I'd start with these two, since no one is responding.

1) google

2)Go to MS, download the sysinternals suite. In there you will find PROCEXP and PROCEXP64, or Procexp which is like a task manager on steroids. Run this as admin.

In the Options box make sure Verify Image Signatures is ticked, and directly below is Virus Total click this and tick Check VirusTotal.com, and tick Submit Unknown Executables.

Under View tick Show Processes From All Users. Choose Select Columns, tick Virus total and User Name too

At first glance the most important columns are: Virus Total, and Verified signer.

the Virus Total should be all blue, but if any are red and the count is like 2/68 then in is still probably safe.

For Verified Signer expect most to be ms, intel. Expect the verifier to be Avira - if you use avira, but you should be able to recognise the verified name with the product. The possible problem ones are '(No signature was present in the subject)', but these still could be good and valid software written by a small developer who did not have the time or resources to get it verified, but often they are rogue.

You can also right click on an entry, choose properties, Image tab as this tells you the file location and startup comman. If unsure of the file, dont delete, just kill the job in Procmon and rename the extension form say 'file.exe' to 'file.exe.johnb47'

I do have a vague recollection that an AV did offer 'secure browsing service/vpn', so it it was this one, it could be their proxy? you could always uninstall a/v, do another check? It has been a long time since I used Avast as it was getting too intrusive for me.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Immediately remove anything even remotely called avast from your computer.
    Next you need to run these 2 programs in order to rid yourself of the malware that you have ..

They are both free

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Let us know how many infections you had.

Then, tell us which version of windows you are running so we can suggest a proper antivirus solution for you
  • JohnB47
    Options
    that wrote: »
    I'd start with these two, since no one is responding.

1) google

2)Go to MS, download the sysinternals suite. In there you will find PROCEXP and PROCEXP64, or Procexp which is like a task manager on steroids. Run this as admin.

In the Options box make sure Verify Image Signatures is ticked, and directly below is Virus Total click this and tick Check VirusTotal.com, and tick Submit Unknown Executables.

Under View tick Show Processes From All Users. Choose Select Columns, tick Virus total and User Name too

At first glance the most important columns are: Virus Total, and Verified signer.

the Virus Total should be all blue, but if any are red and the count is like 2/68 then in is still probably safe.

For Verified Signer expect most to be ms, intel. Expect the verifier to be Avira - if you use avira, but you should be able to recognise the verified name with the product. The possible problem ones are '(No signature was present in the subject)', but these still could be good and valid software written by a small developer who did not have the time or resources to get it verified, but often they are rogue.

You can also right click on an entry, choose properties, Image tab as this tells you the file location and startup comman. If unsure of the file, dont delete, just kill the job in Procmon and rename the extension form say 'file.exe' to 'file.exe.johnb47'

I do have a vague recollection that an AV did offer 'secure browsing service/vpn', so it it was this one, it could be their proxy? you could always uninstall a/v, do another check? It has been a long time since I used Avast as it was getting too intrusive for me.

Thanks for such a fulsome reply. It's unusual to get advice other than the usual 'run malwarebytes.....' etc. I'll have a look at what you've advised.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Immediately remove anything even remotely called avast from your computer.
    Next you need to run these 2 programs in order to rid yourself of the malware that you have ..

They are both free

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Let us know how many infections you had.

Then, tell us which version of windows you are running so we can suggest a proper antivirus solution for you

Thanks Andy. You seem to be very certain that I have a problem, although my PC seems to be running perfectly now.

Also, I jumped from AVG to Avast a while back and now it seems Avast isn't in favour. Is this a constant thing - jumping from one protection to the other after a year or so?

I'm running Win 10 Home with the latest software upload (version 1803 OS build 17134.48).

Thanks again.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    Options
    If you are running Win10 then the inbuilt AV/malware applications are as good as any of the free ones
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    If you are running Win10 then the inbuilt AV/malware applications are as good as any of the free ones

Only if you use Internet Explorer/ Microsoft Edge as your browser.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    dogmaryxx wrote: »

Hmmmm. I use Chrome.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2018 at 11:42AM
    Options
    dogmaryxx wrote: »

And why would that be?

Chrome has its own built in and MS has released an updated Defender that covers Chrome as well.
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    And why would that be?

Chrome has its own built in and MS has released an updated Defender that covers Chrome as well.

Chrome has its own built in

If you mean the Chrome Cleanup Tool it's not a general purpose AV. Its sole purpose is to detect and remove unwanted software manipulating Chrome

MS has released an updated Defender that covers Chrome as well.

Why launch an extension for Chrome called Windows Defender Protection then?

Also

Defender will not scan files as they are downloaded in Chrome only once they are downloaded.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Thanks for such a fulsome reply. It's unusual to get advice other than the usual 'run malwarebytes.....' etc. I'll have a look at what you've advised.
    The procedure is good, but definitely not perfect. It can't handle boot viruses, or things that may happens before windows runs. Also it does not detect browser hijacking, a remote proxy configuration, rogue dns, compromised flash, or hijacked web stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure