Driving license/V5c address change required?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No its not.

From the road traffic act:

But it doesn’t say home address.

Our travelling community don’t have one.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No its not.

If it is an address that is one in Great Britain where the DVLA can contact you at any time, it will be correct and comply with the Road Traffic Act
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    For heaven's sake!

Just change the address on both your licence and V5C ("Log Book"). It costs nothing, you can do both online and it will probably take you less time than you've spent reading these answers!

You have to do them separately as there is no tie-up between your driving licence and the vehicle registration on the DVLA database.Since you will be at your new flat far more than at your parents' place it makes sense in case you get any tickets. There's considerable grief to be had if you miss one and do not respond to it.

All this malarky about going to University is smoke and mirrors because (1) you have not mentioned University and (2) it was only cited as an example on the Gov website anyway.

Just get on and do it. You know it makes sense :rotfl:
  • I didn't change my address for over 20 years after I moved out.

OP if you are young you will probably be hoping here there and everywhere I wouldn't get too excited about changing my licence. I would change the V5c.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But it doesn’t say home address.

Our travelling community don’t have one.
    If it is an address that is one in Great Britain where the DVLA can contact you at any time, it will be correct and comply with the Road Traffic Act

In legislation, unless something is specifically defined by the statutory instrument, its taken on its dictionary/every day meaning.

Address does not mean any address you can be contacted. Address means "the place where someone lives or an organisation is situated".

Otherwise, there would never be an offence committed by the section I quoted and people could use any address they wished!

If you want to disagree, then at least show me the same courtesy I did you and provide something other than your say so to support your opinion.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Rover_Driver
    Address does not mean any address you can be contacted. Address means "the place where someone lives or an organisation is situated".

If you want to disagree, then at least show me the same courtesy I did you and provide something other than your say so to support your opinion.

For driving licence purposes, from the DVLA's leaflet Ins57P - Information on Driving Licences - 'The address must be one in Great Britain where we can contact you at any time', so not necessarily where someone actually lives.
    As long the address is one where the licence holder can be contacted, it would comply with that Road Traffic Act requirement.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    In legislation, unless something is specifically defined by the statutory instrument, its taken on its dictionary/every day meaning.

Otherwise, there would never be an offence committed by the section I quoted and people could use any address they wished!

So somewhere a person lives, works and where letters can be sent.

Cambridge English Dictionsry.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What does the Road Traffic Act have to do with it?
  • Rover_Driver
    Car_54 wrote: »
    What does the Road Traffic Act have to do with it?

If the holders name or address are not correct, it is an offence - s.99 (5), Road Traffic Act 1988.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For driving licence purposes, from the DVLA's leaflet Ins57P - Information on Driving Licences - 'The address must be one in Great Britain where we can contact you at any time', so not necessarily where someone actually lives.
    As long the address is one where the licence holder can be contacted, it would comply with that Road Traffic Act requirement.

And you're convinced that means it can be any address rather than it being a warning from the DVLA not to use (for example) your business address when you only visit your business premises once a month?

Since you seem to think the DVLA's paraphrasing overrides statute, how about this:
    Drivers are required by law to let the DVLA know if they change their name or address,” said a DVLA spokesperson.

“The DVLA then issue a new licence for free.Keeping DVLA informed ensures that drivers can be notified promptly with important information affecting them such as reminders when their licence is due for renewal.

If a driver fails to notify the DVLA of changes they could face a fine of up to £1000
    So somewhere a person lives, works and where letters can be sent.

Cambridge English Dictionsry.

If you read my post, I did provide the dictionary definition for it (although I chose oxford dictionary).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure