CSA and University

legofan
legofan Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 27 September 2018 at 11:02AM in Child support
Hi folks

My child has now started University. I've read that Child Benefit should stop at this point and that this will stop the CSA payments automatically. Does this work for older cases? In my experience of dealing with the CSA in its many guises nothing ever works as it should.

I've not had any correspondence in a couple of years but CSA were still taking bank payments as 03.09.18. I guess if they take money out again on 03.10.18 then I'll have to phone them although I'm almost afraid to phone them as that is never a good experience. Any contact with the CSA has always resulted in contradictory documents and figures being sent out.

Comments

• It should apply to all cases, I think, but if you have arrears they will probably keep on taking payments until these are all clear. If you're paying in arrears they will probably take another payment. It's probably best to call them to let them know that your child is now at University as they may not be aware otherwise.
  • I gave them a call a few weeks ago and amazingly they had checked the child benefit had stopped, reasessed and written to me all within 4 days. MOre amazingly I wasn't treated like a criminal this time.
  • daddydodo wrote: »
    I gave them a call a few weeks ago and amazingly they had checked the child benefit had stopped, reasessed and written to me all within 4 days. MOre amazingly I wasn't treated like a criminal this time.

That's incredibly efficient of them!! :T
  • Thanks - I'll give them a call if they take another payment this month. To the best of my knowledge, I have no arrears - I have been paying exactly what they calculated I should pay but you never know with the CSA..

I have no issue with supporting my child through Uni and beyond but it would just nice to be done with the CSA finally..
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    legofan wrote: »
    Thanks - I'll give them a call if they take another payment this month. To the best of my knowledge, I have no arrears - I have been paying exactly what they calculated I should pay but you never know with the CSA..

I have no issue with supporting my child through Uni and beyond but it would just nice to be done with the CSA finally..

Your liability would have been due until the 27th August, you may be paying a month in arrears.
    It shouldn't be to the best of your knowledge as you should be getting annual statements.
    When my case closed I had written notice that the liability had ended on the last Monday of August, the over payments were refunded.
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It may be that the PWC "forgot" to tell them about the change of circumstances. Usually takes them a couple of months to sort that out then you have to request a refund
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure