Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    murph_avfc wrote: »
    Well for me the story gets even more entertaining.

Here's how it was left:

Well, the bank were true to their word and the money was back, allowing me to pay my rent.

Between then and now, EDF have tried to take a further £63! I asked using their online help why, apparently my DD was supposed to start April 1st (strange, I had agreed May 1st!)

Now for the even more entertaining news - EDF did indeed refund, to an OLD (but active as it has an overdraft I'm paying off) bank account. Meaning that part of their refund has disappeared into an overdraft.

I haven't found the strength to speak to them again about it, needless to say though having admitted the depression / mental health issues from the first attempt to set up a payment plan, I won't be allowing them to get off lightly.

Pathetic, as soon as it's sorted I'm switching.

murph_avfc - As per the Direct Debit Scheme rules, Originators are obligated to give advance notice of the amount and date of any collection to the payer.

Failure to do so will give rise to a valid claim under the direct debit guarantee. Claims are to be made direct to your bank who should refund the amount immediately, and without question.

If you ask the Originator directly(in this case, EDF), they should not refund you, but ask you to file a claim with your bank.

These claims are monitored by the DD Originators Sponsor, and ultimately the sponsoring bank can withdraw the facility from the originator.
  • murph_avfc
    murph_avfc Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2013 at 5:04PM
    Wywth wrote: »
    murph_avfc - As per the Direct Debit Scheme rules, Originators are obligated to give advance notice of the amount and date of any collection to the payer.

Failure to do so will give rise to a valid claim under the direct debit guarantee. Claims are to be made direct to your bank who should refund the amount immediately, and without question.

If you ask the Originator directly(in this case, EDF), they should not refund you, but ask you to file a claim with your bank.

These claims are monitored by the DD Originators Sponsor, and ultimately the sponsoring bank can withdraw the facility from the originator.

Thanks for that.

Just about to call EDF to try and sort this mess out. They have refunded as well as the bank, so I need to work out who I owe the money to!

Update: Poor woman, think I just ruined her afternoon/evening. Has said she will phone back (hmmm) because she needs to seek advice as it is quite a complex situation.

I have suggested that seeing as I got a refund, and an extra refund to the wrong account, I will repay the refund 2 and call it quits on the outstanding amount - Well if you don't try! ;)
  • murph_avfc
    Well, no surprise there.

Have my work number (constantly monitored as this laptop has my Voice over IP external number, and they have my mobile number)....1 hour later, no call!
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Came away from EDF December 2012 to Scottish Power, completely happy now, EDF even had to refund £350 which I had over paid in the past. :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • murph_avfc
    My issue has been escalated.

The wrong account they refunded to was apparently my "active" account, and one can only have one active account at a time.

Which is weird, they were quick enough to take £400+ and then attempt another £63 from an account that wasn't "active" and therefore according to their "system" "impossible."

That said, as much as this site is for money saving and regularly highlighting bad service, I wish to put on record my praise for the Lynn at EDF who tried her hardest within her remit to sort things out for me.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    murph_avfc wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Just about to call EDF to try and sort this mess out. They have refunded as well as the bank, so I need to work out who I owe the money to!

You owe the money to EDF.
  • EDF have been the worst energy company I've ever had the misfortune to go with.

I used an energy comparison site - I think it was "Money supermarket" and it recommended EDF so I went with it. I heard nothing from them for ages, then got an email and nothing else.

I rang them to cancel as I was very unimpressed so far. Got told they'd had nothing from MS so couldn't cancel. Did this every day for a week, getting no where. One of their employees even said he'd keep an eye out for my contract and cancel it when it came through, he didn't!

Finally rang them again and said "Cancel" - the man told me the contract I was on was fixed in price for one year - so I agreed to stay with them - this turned out to be completely untrue, the prices went up twice in the 1st year with them.

I tried to cancel - that took months as they couldn't sort anything out!

I didn't get one bill the whole time I was with them - I couldn't access my account online either and it took nearly one year to set up a direct debit!

When I finally managed to cancel I complained about what had happened and when I finally got one bill for electricity and the gas bill came 5 months later (?!) I complained that the prices had gone up when I'd been told they wouldn't.

They then told me they'd listened to the phone call and I hadn't been told anything of the sort! They lied.

I later asked for a transcript and cd of the phone call - they then had the cheek to tell me that it came under the Date Protection Act and I'd have to fill in a form, sending proof of address and ID and pay £10 - I told them it wasn't and asked for them to state what section of the Act it came under, they didn't and just kept getting debt collection agencies onto me!

Finally I sent the form back - without proof of ID or address or payment and said unless they could quote the law it came under they had better send me what I'd asked for - I got it by return of post and discovered I was right in that I'd been lied to!

So now I'm trying to find out what I can do about this, as I believe the contract is void and I'm hoping it's non payable or at least to get a large amount of compensation for all this hassle - it's been going on for over a year, not to mention the complete mess it's been the whole time I was with them.

Do not go with EDF - not for anything, they are not cheaper, their staff lie - they are the WORST company.

I'm with the Co-Op now and so far they've been fine.
  • murph_avfc
    Wywth wrote: »
    You owe the money to EDF.

Thanks, that makes sense.

So apparently a nationwide account is my active bank account.

Which is why they attempted to take a further £63 DD from my Barclays bank account.

I cancelled the DD in plenty of time, I don't want anymore money going either to or from EDF until we get the issue resolved, else it will just continue to get more complicated!

:(
  • THERAPHOSA
    THERAPHOSA Posts: 19 Forumite
    It was a long while a go. I was working at home on my computer and suddenly it switched off. I have discovered that EDF "van man" was fixing something for my neighbors and had cut the power. When I went out to complain that because of his actions I have lost some data, he tried to pull the wool over my eyes that he had knocked on the door to warn. I later wrote a complaint to EDF customer service and have received no reply what so ever.
  • Cordie
    Cordie Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I went with EDF a couple of years ago when they were offering £100 to move suppliers. They tried all ways not to pay me the money but I had kept a detailed account of names dates and even time of day when I joined so I was eventually paid.

I find it much easier and more productive to use email rather than the telephone if I have an issue and it's definitely far less stressful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback