edited 12 September 2017 at 1:10PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Edf Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly??
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• kevin52
    kevin52 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    That's very interesting. Topic posted 2 months ago and no bad experiences then?
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Or EDF engineered a widespread power cut denying customers access to the internet until the thread bubbled off the front pages and got buried and forgotten. Crafty work by the French.
  • coffeefixer
    Options
    I really wanted to take up this deal but after reading all the bad reviews on review centre I am very dubious. They seem pretty recent too. Anyone else had problems?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really wanted to take up this deal but after reading all the bad reviews on review centre I am very dubious. They seem pretty recent too. Anyone else had problems?
    ...if you search this bit of the forum for EDF you will soon find loads of threads going back two years or more detailing huge problems with a) switching or lack of b) billing and c) incorrect direct debit setting.:rotfl:
    It does seem to have gone quiet over the last month or two tho'.
  • wnjmurphy
    Options
    For the second time in 4 months I have had what brewerdave lists under C.) Incorrect direct debit setting.

I telephoned last week after having a lovely letter threatening a warrant to enter my property to fit a prepayment meter. I explained the situation that due to illness (depression) I very often struggle with admin / payments and was in the process of looking at getting someone else to deal with my accounts.

We had a lovely chat and an agreement to pay £90 or so from May 1st.

Naturally imagine my horror when over £480 disappears out of my account. So I phone same day, they've apparently failed to put a block on the whole amount - not sure that's how DD's work is it?

Was told it was too high an amount for CS rep to do, so a manager would auth and I would get a phonecall, 3-5 working days.

Here I am a week later, being told it can take up to 10 working days, and the manager was "a bit busy at the moment" and had I tried my bank? So I have, and they're getting me the money back hopefully by 6pm tonight so I can actually pay my rent!

Then the fight begins!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wnjmurphy wrote: »
    For the second time in 4 months I have had what brewerdave lists under C.) Incorrect direct debit setting.

We had a lovely chat and an agreement to pay £90 or so from May 1st.

Naturally imagine my horror when over £480 disappears out of my account. So I phone same day, they've apparently failed to put a block on the whole amount - not sure that's how DD's work is it?

...suspect that you have reached your "annual review" date; the small print on DD plans with EDF says that any outstanding amount greater than £150 at annual review,will be taken as one payment BUT they should have given you advance notice of this. Have you got an online account?If so, you should have had an email pointing you to the message area in MyAccount .If not online ,then you should have received a snailmail. Unfortunately there are many tales of EDF's interpretation of annual review!! Be prepared for a fight when your bank reclaim the £480!!:)
  • wnjmurphy
    Options
    It was a payment scheme set up to repay as I had not had a DD set up and due to reasons mentioned previously about lack of real on-the-ball-awareness paying bills, I had let the outstanding amount build.

I was proactive, and set up Direct Debit for normal payments + extra to repay what I owed!

Just checked my online messages and see nothing about an annual review.

It was EDF representitive that suggested phoning my bank to get it back through quicker. If the EDF refund comes through in the next day or so (after my bank attempts) - I will happily pay it back to them.

It's the speed of the refund that is the issue...they've already agreed to issue one! That and the lies they originally told me (3-5 working days) coupled with the fact they have depression notified on my account that has driven me bonkers! :mad:
  • Life_is_Tough
    Options
    Just joined the Cheap Energy Club and was about to take on EDFs Blue + Price Promise to Feb 2015 until I saw that they were automatically going to set my DD at £142.16 per month. How can that be when I'm only pay £69 at the moment and they've told me I'll be saving £135/year? After reading the problems people are having with their DD setup I'll not bother!:sad:
  • 1981trouble
    1981trouble Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Two years ago we switched to edf and it took ages, direct debits and meter readings were messed up and customer service was appalling.we swiftly moved to another provider.

3months ago (in a new house) we switched to them as prepayment, took about a month, no problems at all (well the online system givingdifferent dates to our letters but we ignored it).
    Last week had credit meters installed, again no issues. Everything has gone smoothly and dd set up. S far so good.
    Experience this time has been much better so either customer service has improved or the different location means a different team.
  • Ecodave
    Ecodave Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Have been with Edf for a couple of years now, and my only real issue was being unable to access my online account for the first six months. The direct debits do seem to fluctuate more than you might expect, would be interested to know the formula they use to calculate the dd's if anyone knows it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback