Overhead power line compensation.

Hi All,

I had a letter a few days ago regarding compensation for power lines that cross over my house.

This was from a company called PCC who claimed to have been acting for the previous owner and been very close to the end of the claim after the previous owner had an offer.

I have since moved in around 3 months ago and they advise that I am entitled to this payment.

First I phoned up the electric company direct who confirmed this was the case and after numerous callback I spoke to the man who was handiling the case and he advised the power company had offered £4173.

He did advise that I would have an easement with the electric company and they would then have permission to run the power lines over the house he also added that the likly hood of getting the moved or removed was next to none.

I then phoned PCC who advisd that they would charge £1000 for there services so I would get £3173 but the man at the electric compnay did advise I can apoint my own solicitor and they would pay reasonable costs meaning I would get the full amount.

So my question is has anyone on here heard off or done this before and if yes what restrictions adds to your property.

Comments

• £4,000 ain't much for any kind of retrospective easement even if it was the right to run a buried cable under your land. The Olympic Delivery Authority decided it was unacceptable to leave power lines over the Olympic Park and thats just for a couple of weeks in the spotlight of the world's media and they didn't do it to power the spotlight :p

What type of cables have they got draped over you ? 6.6KV or 11KV? I can't imagine it goes over your house if it is any greater ... but then I'd not take just £4K to let them carry on doing it.

However it seems there is some stuff on the internet if you can dig it out. I have assumed the power line is 6.6KV or 11KV. Try this Google Search:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22power%20transmission%22%20(11kV%20OR%206.6KV)%20compensation%20(easement%20OR%20wayleave)%20site%3A.uk

One interesting document that comes up is http://www.electric-fields.bris.ac.uk/SAGELegal.pdf and a section on page 70 of that original document (p.71 of the pdf file) talks about compulsory purchase in the event of no agreement reached and the electricity company being able to prove a case of necessity or expediency
  • Assuming there is not yet a wayleave in place (which would seem to be the case) I suggest you contact a firm called Hamer Associates in Solihull.

Their boss has co-written a book on the subject.

Having spoken to them I think you may find you can even tell the electricity company to simply remove their equipment from your land altogether although it will depend on the circumstances of the case.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Power lines over a property will devalue it and in many peoples' eyes (inc mine) it will be a house to avoid. £4K odd is chicken feed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thanks for your advise I will look in tithe links further the house is valued at 95000 and I understand the figure is generated from the value. Thing is 4000 at the moment is alot of money but I don't want to lose any rights.
  • Rich67_2
    Rich67_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Going to phone a solicitor tomorrow to act on my behalf. Just wondered before I do if anyone also has had any dealings with overhead lines.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Make sure you choose one who understands your rights under the Electricity Act.
  • sooty4
    sooty4 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have a friend who has also just received this letter and are wondering what to do so I would be interested in knowing what you find out please?
  • I've recently received a similar letter (from Thomson Broadbent) and I've been doing quite a bit of reading up about this 'cos I don't want to jump in willy-nilly, so I'd also be interested to find out how you get on, please.

:j
  • Rich67_2
    Rich67_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I have decided to no longer carry this on. I was entitled to the compensation but it would be a one off payment. This is fine however you have no rights to claim compensation for example if it is found that the lines cause health issues or this is what my solicitor told me. If any one knows different please let me know.
  • do it yourself. Call the company that owns the line. Thompson Broadbent stated they take 15% compensation (up from original 10%) so from an offer of £1550 they want 15% . They also recommend a solicitor, funnily enough with Broadbent in their name too) just received a letter from the power company's surveyors, the total claim is £2750. This probably includes the solicitors fee but from another thread, a guy who sorted his own claim said all it took was a phone call and employing a solicitor to sort the legal stuff AND thomsons received a fee.... must be big with the additional £1200 and thats before their 15% commision.!!!!
    Does anyone know, if thomsons are receiving 2 payouts for my claim ie 15% compensation and a fee, can i just employ my own solicitor to answer the letter from the power company and claim the full compensation myself? or is it too late. i dont mind paying 15% but under their terms they are getting £1500 and im getting £1250, that doesnt seem right....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback