Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• sunsun_lady_2
    Options
    Hi Caz, thanks for the reply. Yes we'd booked a 14 night package holiday. I'm happy with the flight delay compensation which we got due to EU ruling but TUI haven't addressed the issue of losing out on a whole day's holiday. I'm not really sure where to find this on my travel insurance policy. It says what I'm entitled to for delayed flights but can't see whether I'm covered for one day/night holiday loss.

I've asked about this on another forum but nobody seems to know whether I'm entitled to anything else. I think I am as we lost out on a day's holiday due to the delay. Thank you for any advice or opinions.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Caz, thanks for the reply. Yes we'd booked a 14 night package holiday. I'm happy with the flight delay compensation which we got due to EU ruling but TUI haven't addressed the issue of losing out on a whole day's holiday. I'm not really sure where to find this on my travel insurance policy. It says what I'm entitled to for delayed flights but can't see whether I'm covered for one day/night holiday loss.

I've asked about this on another forum but nobody seems to know whether I'm entitled to anything else. I think I am as we lost out on a day's holiday due to the delay. Thank you for any advice or opinions.

If you booked through an ABTA travel agent you should check with them what you may be due.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Libbylou62
    Options
    We had a flight delay of 3hr 57mins with Wow air- flying from Keflavik to Dublin in MAY 2018. I applied for compensation but was told by Wow air that the delay was due to bad weather so they weren't liable. Our flight was on one of the warmest days in May. I questioned this through the Icelandic transport authority. They contacted Wow air who replied that the plane that we were flying in had flown the day before to Balitmore where there was bad weather and Baltimore airport had closed meaning the flight had to divert to Richmond - then back to Baltimore, then back to Keflavik for our Dublin flight. Therefore our flight was delayed due to bad weather and Wow air were not liable.
    Should WOWair be liable for compensation?
  • zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are fobbing you off.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are due compensation. Download and read Vaubnas guide send them a letter before action also known as a notice before action all explained in the guide. Flight distance on the checkers is anywhere between 1501km to 1508km which means you are due 400euro per person in compensation.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Libbylou62 wrote: »
    We had a flight delay of 3hr 57mins with Wow air- flying from Keflavik to Dublin in MAY 2018. I applied for compensation but was told by Wow air that the delay was due to bad weather so they weren't liable. Our flight was on one of the warmest days in May. I questioned this through the Icelandic transport authority. They contacted Wow air who replied that the plane that we were flying in had flown the day before to Balitmore where there was bad weather and Baltimore airport had closed meaning the flight had to divert to Richmond - then back to Baltimore, then back to Keflavik for our Dublin flight. Therefore our flight was delayed due to bad weather and Wow air were not liable.
    Should WOWair be liable for compensation?

zorber is right.

It was a previous flight that was affected by the bad weather the day before yours. That does not give them a 'get out of jail free card' so yes, you are due compensation.

Getting it from Wow may prove difficult tho as I believe they are an Icelandic airline and they don't seem to be signed up to an ADR scheme.

The Regulation is applicable to Iceland and Norway in accordance with the EEA Agreement and to Switzerland in accordance with the Agreement between the European Community and the Swiss Confederation on Air Transport (1999).

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • markhod
    markhod Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I was on a flight booking from UK to US, changing in a US airport. I booked with airline A to have one booking all the way through, but the second flight was on a different airline.

The second airline cancelled the flight and put me on a flight the next day. Which airline is responsible to pay for accommodation overnight in this scenario? Given I had arrived on the first flight, I was therefore stuck overnight due to a lack of connecting flight.

Airline A claims its not them, because they did not cancel the flight (airline B did). But the booking is all with airline A, so I had thought they are fully responsible for everything.

I cannot find much information from google on this scenario

Thanks,

Mark
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    with EU261 it is the operating airline that counts not who you purchased your ticket through or even the flight numbers. It appears airline B cancelled a US domestic flight, for what reason was it cancelled? (US airlines tend not to provide accommodation for weather)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And you may not be covered under reg 261/2004.
    Perhaps provide all the details - both airlines, rioutes, who you flew with, dates, flight numbers, times etc and we can give a more informed answer. Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • shinydoc
    shinydoc Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apologies if there is an answer to this question already, I have looked, but not through all 557 pages!

I have finally managed to get an email from Norwegian admitting to liability under EU261 and that my €1500 "will be transferred to your nominated account within reasonable time"

Does anyone have any personal experience as to how long they actually take to transfer the cash? I have found out on their twitter feed that it may take a month :shocked:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback