Airbricks

Comments

• Have you been up into the loft to check for leaks, mitstm?

That is a bit more of a problem - as in there is no loft ladder to get up there.

So I'm a little shortie, with only a short stepladder and no head for heights.

I have had various workmen going up there at intervals for a variety of things and no reports of water coming in through the roof (after the year I moved in - where a tile had come off the roof and I had it replaced/nearby loft insulation thrown out and there's been no further reports of problems from workmen since). That was during the first few months I lived here. I've been here a few years now.

There has been two workmen up there for various things just during the last year - and no reports of water ingress from either of them.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I wonder if some rainwater from the missing tile episode could have got into the space between the old ceiling and the suspended ceiling causing some rot, mould or fungus somewhere. Just a thought.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2018 at 5:55AM
    There was some months in between the roof tile replacement and the suspended ceiling being put up in the room that had experienced the roof leak on its ceiling - and it seemed to be totally dry when the suspended ceiling was put up - but it should be possible to check from above the original ceiling? (if one could get at being in the loft for a good look personally).

This is an area where there is a problem finding decent-quality and reliable tradespeople - but I'll keep my eye open to see if I can find a decent handyperson and get their opinion on whether it is even possible to get a loft ladder fitted to get into my loft (as I certainly wouldnt manage it personally - despite all those workmen that have shinned up and down to it over time).

One handyperson to date has said it's not possible to fit a loft ladder - but I'll get a check with a second one (as handyperson no. 1 was telling me it was impossible to get bits of loft boarding up through my standard size loft hatch:cool: - and I had to tell him how to do it:cool: and so I do have some fair-size bits of loose-laid loft boarding up there now that can be moved around for standing on purposes).

I don't know whether it would be possible or no to get one there. It is a standard-size readily accessible loft hatch (up from the hallway in this bungalow) - but I do know the bodger builder that built the house had some odd ways of doing things and I think that included the way they did the roof structure, and hence not sure whether it's possible or no.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you have "some fair-size bits of loose-laid loft boarding up there now that can be moved around for standing on purposes." then it sounds like you don't have as much insulation up there as you should have, given the price of fuel nowadays. Nothing else saves more money per £ spent than stemming heat loss via the roof.

Insulation nowadays ought to be 270mm thick, which means you'd not see the joists or be able to move boarding around at will.

That's my take on it, as I'd rather spend money on insulation than a loft ladder I wouldn't use.....or are you saying you'd miraculously overcome vertigo if you had one?

With a standard sized hatch, using an ordinary step ladder is fine for tradespeople, or me. I also have a ladder in my main loft (I've 3) but that's because I have reasons to go up there often.
    edited 16 October 2018 at 9:43AM
    The loft insulation is 12" thick - I had more added (at least if I can believe the builder that did it - and that's another matter:cool:) - as I was astonished to see he'd removed the covering and "scattered it about" one time when another workman had put an extendable type ladder up there and I poked my head over the top to take a look.

The boards have just been put up there - not fixed down. As one workman used the fact there were no boards up there at all as an excuse not to go up there himself - hence some just "sitting" up there, so that no future workman can make that excuse.

Workmen have usually got up there by bringing in a standard height stepladder of their own (not the little 2 steps-and-a-platform job that I have for myself). They then stand on top of the "handrail" type thing at the top (ie the bit not meant for standing on!) and haul themselves up into the loft. I really wouldn't fancy trying to get up that way - even if I were taller than 5'3" or so these days!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    This is an area where there is a problem finding decent-quality and reliable tradespeople

I think that problem is universal across the country. I've just about given up on finding good tradesmen that can do a quality job.

As for ladders, I have a small two piece ladder than can be used as a step ladder or extending ladder. Once the loft hatch is lifted, easy enough to poke the ladder up through the hole. Similar to this one - https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-combination-ladder-3-x-9-rungs-3-3m/4165x
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • My house is too small to have space to store another ladder - so I would need for any I bought to be a specific loft ladder (ie folded-up into the loft when not in use).

I can picture the sort of thing I would want (assuming it's possible to fit one). My father fitted one into my last house - it was one whereby I could push up with a pole at the loft hatch and it would come down and then I could pull the ladder itself down. When down - I could slide it to whatever length I decided and there was a handrail each side of it for me to catch hold of.

I can't ask my father what it was - as he wouldn't remember - and anyway he bought it quite some years ago.

But I would be interested in finding a similar one again - if anyone knows one.
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    fuddle wrote: »
    Minerals such as kaolinite can be found on a surface when it has been oxidised. The composition of kaolinite is aluminium silicate. Talc is not unknown to contain aluminium silicate. That may be a tedious link but when I moved into our home we had rising damp that needed damp proofing. There was a white powder residue on the wall that could be removed by touching it. The proofers told me it's not uncommon to smell damp before you see it but in this instance it was seen before any smell was present.

If it is this, replastering a wall won't prevent it. Maybe run over your walls with a moisture and damp meter. They can be hired for a day from tool hire places for about £20.

Like I say my links and my basic knowledge might be tedious but common sense says to me that it's most probably a sensible line of thought.
    The white residue could have been salt crystals due to efflorescence i.e. where salt comes to the surface or a porous material, usually in low temperatures and / or damp conditions.

Unlikely to be caused by anything paranormal. ;)
    Not even wrong
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I can picture the sort of thing I would want (assuming it's possible to fit one). My father fitted one into my last house - it was one whereby I could push up with a pole at the loft hatch and it would come down and then I could pull the ladder itself down.

Something like this perhaps - https://www.screwfix.com/p/lyte-3-sections-aluminium-alloy-deluxe-loft-ladder-12-rungs-1050mm/39605
    Installation instructions & drawings - http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1913400.pdf

If I were to fit one of these, I'd also need to change the hatch, and probably modify the opening... But then again, I'm not sure I have the headroom.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    edited 17 October 2018 at 10:50PM
    Well - I've asked for a quote for a loft ladder from a carpenter and will see what they have to say.

Also looking suspiciously at a cheapie sofa I brought from my last house (a Victorian terrace - and one of the reasons I checked to see I couldnt spot any damp in this one after living there:cool:). I've had to give a darn good cleaning to it a while back - as I think it might have brought some mould with it from my last house. I can see "markings" still (though not mould) on the base of the seat part when I lift the cushions up (so wonder if some mould might have got inside it - where I couldnt clean it off)??

Also checking out re a possible replacement sofa for that one.

I do have suspicions re whether mould can "travel" on an object from one house to another. I was given a picture someone had made since moving here and put it on the floor propped against a wall to display and then found mould on the back of it not that long after. On talking to the person who the picture came from - I think I know what their house is like (well they certainly don't heat it enough and it's an old one)......and I chucked the picture.

EDIT: I've got a tradesperson lined-up now to come in and fix a loft ladder for me (ie I'll be able to take a look at my loft myself). I'll believe it when I see it - as the tradespeople here are notoriously unreliable. But fingers crossed that I'll soon be able to check it out myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure