New boiler

Options
I have a boiler which has been fine until recently. Had a few issues, is about 15 or so years old and so feel I need a new one.

Are there any quality boilers I should go for, or any other advice on size, type, how much are they to buy and fit etc... that I should look out for, given I know nothing about heating.

Much appreciated Paul

Comments

• Head_The_Ball
    Options
    What issues have you had?

Are they serious enough for you to replace rather than repair?
  • Paully28
    Paully28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    thanks for the reply, I have had new parts needed, the heating wasnt working and needed some new parts, needed a new timer/clock unit, and now keeps tripping out every now and again.

Also, I could only find one local plumber who was willing to look at it and fix it, and for example BG would not insure me for it. It is fixed now though, but keeps tripping/locking out every now and again, and have read not so good stories about the ability of people in general to fix it (Is a Powermax 155x boiler).

Just becoming more and more expensive to maintain so thought it was about time, but maybe I am wrong?
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Powermax's aren't very good and it's very important you get it serviced every year, do you have a co alarm?

There is a fair bit obsolete on them but BG would normally look after it unless theres a safety issue.

You need to decide if your going to have a combi boiler or a hot water tank, you'd be used to decent hot water flow with a powermax so if you want to keep similar flow rates you be best getting a unvented cyclinder and a small system boiler, assuming your powermax is in a airing cupboard you should have room. If not then maybe a storage combi.
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2018 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Paully28 wrote: »

Are there any quality boilers I should go for, or any other advice on size, type, how much are they to buy and fit etc... that I should look out for, given I know nothing about heating.

I'm in the process of getting a new boiler, I started thinking I want a Worcester or Valiant as they are the most famous/popular make but I have learnt that Worcester uses a lot of plastic bits nowadays and Valiant starting to do so too so the likelihood of them have some problem is quite high few year down the line. However, both makes have big customer care team to back up their warranty and that's what customers pay premium price for.

After doing some research and having spoken to several plumber friends, I have decide to go for Intergas Boiler due to good reviews upon googling and also 2 of my plumber friends swear by them. The down side of Intergas is that they don't have big team of engineers like Worcester & Valiant but in theory their system is very good and one shouldn't need to use the warranty.

Size of boiler really depends on the size of your house and your need and your water pressure. More KW meaning it can heat up more hot water so you get good shower pressure.

As for how much, it can vary a lot too. I have a 2 bedroom flat with 1 bathroom. Here are the quote I have for your reference:
    - Worcester, 10 year warranty: £3500
    - Valiant, 7 years warranty: £2200, £2050
    - Intergas, 10 years warranty: £2000, £2150

Hope this helps.
  • Brummie85
    Brummie85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    cybervic wrote:

After doing some research and having spoken to several plumber friends, I have decide to go for Intergas Boiler

Welcome to the club.

Mine is still sat in my living room waiting to be installed. But I am looking forward to it !
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Post #5 & 6 excellent choice
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Paully28
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Powermax's aren't very good and it's very important you get it serviced every year, do you have a co alarm?

There is a fair bit obsolete on them but BG would normally look after it unless theres a safety issue.

You need to decide if your going to have a combi boiler or a hot water tank, you'd be used to decent hot water flow with a powermax so if you want to keep similar flow rates you be best getting a unvented cyclinder and a small system boiler, assuming your powermax is in a airing cupboard you should have room. If not then maybe a storage combi.

I thought that BG would look after it, but they came out to look as part of their pre-insurance check, and the engineer said no. But is safe and has subsequently been serviced every year so not sure why BG said no.

Thanks for the other advice as the one thing i cant complain about with my current system is the hot water. Also, yes we have it in a airing cupboard, as the boiler is huge and so lots of room.
  • Paully28
    Options
    cybervic wrote: »
    I'm in the process of getting a new boiler, I started thinking I want a Worcester or Valiant as they are the most famous/popular make but I have learnt that Worcester uses a lot of plastic bits nowadays and Valiant starting to do so too so the likelihood of them have some problem is quite high few year down the line. However, both makes have big customer care team to back up their warranty and that's what customers pay premium price for.

After doing some research and having spoken to several plumber friends, I have decide to go for Intergas Boiler due to good reviews upon googling and also 2 of my plumber friends swear by them. The down side of Intergas is that they don't have big team of engineers like Worcester & Valiant but in theory their system is very good and one shouldn't need to use the warranty.

Size of boiler really depends on the size of your house and your need and your water pressure. More KW meaning it can heat up more hot water so you get good shower pressure.

As for how much, it can vary a lot too. I have a 2 bedroom flat with 1 bathroom. Here are the quote I have for your reference:
    - Worcester, 10 year warranty: £3500
    - Valiant, 7 years warranty: £2200, £2050
    - Intergas, 10 years warranty: £2000, £2150

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, this helps a lot. Are those prices for the parts and fitting from an independent plumber, or just for the boiler?

Also, mine is a 4 bedroom, two bathroom house, so would I double your prices do you think?
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paully28 wrote: »
    Thanks very much, this helps a lot. Are those prices for the parts and fitting from an independent plumber, or just for the boiler?

Also, mine is a 4 bedroom, two bathroom house, so would I double your prices do you think?

This is the price for new installation and inclusive of everything such as drill and fit flue, remove old immersion system, VAT...etc. I don't think yours will be double if you already have existing pipe work, but the actual price will depends on how complex your situation is. You may need a power flush to clean up the system for new boiler, you may need new pipe if the current can not survive pressure test.

Why not start with Checkatrade, choose top 10 rated plumbers and invite them for quotes. I contacted 9 plumber, only 7 were able to visit and quote, and only 5 quotes/estimates received. My plumber friends told me you can never get too many quotes. You will need to use Intergas website to find their installer in order to get full warranty though.

Good Luck.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    Baxi are great too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts