VW Emissions Claim

My car was effected by the VW emissions scandal, I believe that you can now claim against VW but there is a deadline of the 26th October, a company called Slater and Gordon are offering a no win no fee basis, but I'm not sure if it is 100% legit, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this please?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Prove your losses and go direct, or choose to use Slater and Gordon (who are a legit firm)

Realistically you have not lost anything as the cheat test thing only affected NOx emissions which isn't tested in the UK e.g. towards VED etc
  • Thanks for that.

So do you think its very unlikely that they will win their claim?
  • gaznic7 wrote: »
    Slater and Gordon aren't "claiming", they are simply offering legal representation. Make your own complaint, but you'll need to be able to prove your losses.
  • No Problem, I don't fancying doing it myself. could end up being costly, that's why I was thinking about the no win no fee.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    gaznic7 wrote: »
    No Problem, I don't fancying doing it myself. could end up being costly, that's why I was thinking about the no win no fee.

But what are your losses ?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gaznic7 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I would hazard a guess VW will end up paying some token sum if you register even though you've not had any losses.

Again, the cheat test was designed to beat the US system which tests for NOx meaning cars sold in the US were more polluting than advertised so someone in the US has genuinely been miss-sold if they thought they were being greener than they were. In the UK the VED test / band is done on CO2 which was not part of the cheat test. If you could prove you bought the car because of the lower NOx emissions (something which isn't really advertised in the UK market) then you have a miss-sale reason. If you simply see the £££ and want free money then use a no win no fee company and see if you get lucky
  • Hi, Would be careful on this one I registered with Slater and Gordon months ago. Now another company has contacted me called Yourlawyers saying I am already signed up with them. I have no recollection of the latter name. What they are saying now is that it is illegal to claim with 2 companies for the same vehicle.
    and I should drop the claim with Slater and Gordon or they will charge me £500 per hour legal fees.Oddly enough on the day after Slater and Gordon have said I should drop the claim with Yourlawyers or they will charge me undisclosed fees.
    Something is not right here there is some connection and a possible scam. I have asked Yourlawyers to provide me with evidence that I have registered with them but so far no reply.
    I am not stupid enough to make 2 claims against 1 car with a unique chassis number so beware.
    Would be interested if anyone else has had this problem with these companies,
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2018 at 3:11PM
    Slater and Gordon are the main "class action" representative for those who wish to make a collective (i.e. minimal effort to you) claim against VW.

If the group win, a percentage will be taken from your part of the claim to cover the costs of bringing the claim, if you lose, the cost of the claim is covered by separate underwriters, so you don't end up getting hit with any legal fees.

I am also affected and so am part of the Slater and Gordon claim. The only thing you have to lose is that if you pursue a separate claim against VW you may have breached your agreement with S&G, but as it sounds like something you probably won't be doing (me neither) then why not sign up!

I haven't had any of the problems neil99 has had, but this would be a possibility if you had signed up with two separate claims firms (or if one firm was a scammer trying it on).
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Exactly the same has happened to me this week, I have authorised slater&gordon but i didn't authorise vw@yourlawyers.co.uk to proceed with any claim, i looked at their website but have no recollectuon of agreeing for them to proceed with any claim, now they are both telling me to choose and drop the other or i will be liable for breach of agreement fees!!!! Confused to say the least, Help!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure