Universal credit and private pension contributions

Comments

• spaniel101
    spaniel101 Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Interesting read re 'Spotlight on Earnings' advisories / Stakeholders response July 2019:-

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14584/
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    spaniel101 wrote: »
    Interesting read re 'Spotlight on Earnings' advisories / Stakeholders response July 2019:-

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14584/

Yes, hopefully guidance will be updated (for which read corrected) and widely circulated to decision makers so that this can be dealt with properly in accordance with the legislation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure how UC would apply the private pension contribution to the claims, so that the correct revised earnings amount is used to calculate a monthly statement.

I would suggest that if this is an issue you are having at the moment, that you phone Universal Credit and ask that this is raised with their local Service Improvement Lead contact, to see how this can be processed. Then ask them to confirm this in your journal, so you have something in writing.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    huckster wrote: »
    Not sure how UC would apply the private pension contribution to the claims, so that the correct revised earnings amount is used to calculate a monthly statement.

Seems to be another instance of where manual intervention is required undermined the theoretical automation that was supposed to lead to the projected administrative cost savings.

Nonetheless it can’t be more difficult than taking into account self employed earnings alongside employed earnings, for example.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • naturaljazz
    naturaljazz Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I doubt DWP know about the exact details of the private pension payments?
    If it was me I would do three things;
    1) Make an appointment with my MP to go over this and get them on board.
    2) Do an MR and start the Appeal process
    and/or
    3) Make an official complaint to DWP. I find that is often slow but it gets there in the end. You can do both an MR and a complaint which would be my choice if it were me.
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
  • Today I received £96 in my bank account for back pay for my private pension contributions!

I had to go via my MP's office to get anywhere with it, but persistence has paid off and now 100% of my private pension contributions is to be deducted from my earnings.

I have to send proof of payment every month to them, but at least we are getting it!

Thank you all for your advice on here, all the links were very handy as that's what I sent to MP's office to show them UC were wrong!

I hope anyone that searches this and sees this thread will also be able to get somewhere!

Thanks again
  • calcotti
    Thanks for the update. It shouldn’t be this hard!
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    calcotti wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. It shouldn’t be this hard!

It will be a manual process after each assessment period, as there is no current way of automating it.

UC is a fairly new benefit and as with anything which requires IT systems to be fully developed, there will always be work arounds required.

Having worked in both private and public sectors, I have not come across a fully developed IT system ! They all have problems and customers are inconvenienced as a result.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    huckster wrote: »
    It will be a manual process after each assessment period, as there is no current way of automating it.

I was thinking more about how hard it seems to have been for OP to get DWP to accept that private pension contributions should be taken into account (in accordance with the legislation).
  • TMel42
    TMel42 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I know this is an old thread but I am having a similar problem with UC and payments in to my private pension. I am a carer so work part time hours, to enable me to work and not be worse off for the privilege I pay a large chunk of money into a private pension (relievable) each month. I also pay the basic amount into a workplace pension (nest). 

I have got to the stage of MR, and the result that has come back that because I pay in to a private pension voluntarily it is not included in the income calculation for the UC income. I am completely stuck as to how to move this forward, and doubting if I am right or not with regards the pension deductions. 

Before making the decision for myself and my partner to move in together, i had an online adviser session with citizens advice who advised there would be no difference between the tax credits amount I was already receiving and being on the UC system. Can anyone advise whether I should continue with this fight or if indeed UC are correct and the private pension contribution should not be deducted from the income?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback