Quick question about a dro

Hi so I have applied for a dro and have submitted all my evidence etc. I got a email from stepchange today saying they have received the paperwork and that they need a little more information
It said to phone stepchange so basically I phoned them and they said they will have to do a call back this Monday I said ok I also asked if she knew what else they needed and she said it says in the notes something about the budgeting?

Does anyone know what this could be and is it likely that I will still be able to go ahead with the dro ?
Or is it just going to be a phone call telling me that I can’t get a dro

Any help appreciated thanks :)

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    United_ wrote: »
    Hi so I have applied for a dro and have submitted all my evidence etc. I got a email from stepchange today saying they have received the paperwork and that they need a little more information
    It said to phone stepchange so basically I phoned them and they said they will have to do a call back this Monday I said ok I also asked if she knew what else they needed and she said it says in the notes something about the budgeting?

Does anyone know what this could be and is it likely that I will still be able to go ahead with the dro ?
    Or is it just going to be a phone call telling me that I can’t get a dro

Any help appreciated thanks :)
    Well that's a bit mysterious.

They need more information but didn't put in the email what they needed to know.

When you phoned to ask what they needed to know, they wouldn't tell you.

My guess is some overzealous supervisor has queried something. Hopefully they'll tell you what that is on Monday.

I look forward to your next post! Remember there are other 'competent authorities' out there and CAB still do most DROs, so don't worry over the weekend
  • United_
    United_ Posts: 15
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yea I thought it was a bit weird too
    I’m hoping that it is just something to do with my budget. I’m from Northern Ireland so I think there maybe wasn’t someone available from that team to speak so I think the Northern Ireland team will ring me on Monday

If stepchange don’t proceed with the application is it okay to go to cab and try with them
  • fatbelly
    Forumite
    If stepchange don’t proceed with the application is it okay to go to cab and try with them

Yes. Your choices may be a bit different in N Ireland

https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/publications/list-competent-authorities-relation-debt-relief-scheme
  • United_
    Forumite
    Hi fatebelly so I finally got a call back from stepchange today basically a few things in my budget we’re short and I forgot to put some things in. So they fixed everything and they have told me that they are going to get someone to final check it and then send me out a draft letter or something that I have to sign? And then they said once they receive that they well tell me how to pay the fee
    ?

Does this sound like everything is going as planned ?
  • fatbelly
    Forumite
    Hi fatebelly so I finally got a call back from stepchange today basically a few things in my budget we’re short and I forgot to put some things in. So they fixed everything and they have told me that they are going to get someone to final check it and then send me out a draft letter or something that I have to sign? And then they said once they receive that they well tell me how to pay the fee
    ?

Does this sound like everything is going as planned ?

Yes. Sounds like they're dragging it out a bit but it's OK.
  • United_
    Forumite
    Thank you going to ring tomorrow and see if they can email me the final letter thing and go from there fingers crossed everything will be fine
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Thank you going to ring tomorrow and see if they can email me the final letter thing and go from there fingers crossed everything will be fine

They won’t do that for two reasons.
    First to be legally valid it must be a paper copy, and you must sign it, it also acts as your proof of entering a DRO.

Patience is a virtue.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Forumite
    Sourcrates is right that they probably won't be rushed but there is no requirement for a paper copy of the draft, or a signature. There's no technical reason why an email followed by your verbal approval, wouldn't be enough.

The barcoded payment letter must be readable by the Post Office so that is generally sent hard copy, though I have heard of someone working it via email and a smart phone.
  • United_
    Forumite
    Thanks guys. So I phoned this morning and the guy said in the phone that he would be able to change it to email, but he also stated that he didn’t know when the final check would be done or if it had already been done he said the guys from my office were really busy with calls so he couldn’t put me through to my dro team.

I’m just hoping it goes through the final stage this week and I can maybe ring them on Monday and see how things have progressed
    I take it if it’s a hard copy for the barcode it would be sent second class ?

It’s just when receiving items from stepchange it takes about 6-7 working days to reach me
  • United_
    Forumite
    Just a update guys so I received the email today from stepchange with my debt relief order application draft on it I have signed it electronically and by hand and scanned in one too I have now sent it back to them and I guess I just wait for now do you guys think I should ring in a day or two? Also I seem to be getting loads of calls from creditors even tho they know I’m in contact with stepchange and agreed to freeze account for month. I really hope I’m near the end of this procedure it has been long and stressful. Do we sound like we are near the end now? I take it stepchange are confident of getting a accepted application? Or they would not of went this far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure